Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:37 PM   #11

You seem to have a misunderstanding about program mode. It sets the shutter speed and aperture for the light and will even trigger auto-flash if you have that set. You can fool with the program shift, but it will give you the same settings as auto if you just leave it alone.

You seem to have gotten yourself in aperture priority, shutter priority or manual and think you are in program. I would spend a little time in the manual.

The telephoto shot in auto looks like it has too much light, but the wide angle shot looks underexposed to me with the flash reduced and the auto shots looks about right.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:53 PM   #12

This is worth a read as it is about the H1 camerasettings http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/
popalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:55 PM   #13

popalot wrote:
Quote:
This is worth a read as it is about the H1 camerasettings http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/
His explanation of program mode is worse than poor. If you turn the camera on in program mode or switch to program mode without changing any settings it works just like auto as far as setting the camera aperture and shutter for the existing conditions. You just point and shoot.

I have to admit the user manual isn't much better. But it calls it the "Auto Program Mode" and says it will set everything automatically.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:26 PM   #14

Thanks a lot, guys. Popalot's pic's are inthe ballpark of being acceptable to me. A little touching up in Photoshop would make all of 'em great.I will post a pic here laterusing my H1 (with settiings) for all to view and comment.
farleycw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:21 PM   #15

Ok folks, below are three pic's taken with my H1 which demonstate my problem. All are taken with the totally brainless, automatic Point & Shoot mode where I let the camera do what it wants to capture the best picture from about six feet away from the subject. No lens adapter, hood, or extra lenses. No zoom. AF in Monitor mode. No red eye reduction. AF illuminator in Auto.

#1 - My wife in a well-lit kitchen under fluorescent lights. Flash didn't come on. Pic is close to how the scene actually is in real life. Imight change B&C in Photoshop if the pic were important.

#2 - My wife at the kitchen table under asomewhat dim incandescent light. Flash came on. Pic issomewhat washed out. I would have to play with a couple things in this pic in Photoshop if the pic were important.

#3 - My wife in the living room under a still dimmer incandescent light. Flash came on. Entire pic is more washed out than before. I might reshoot in Manual or other mode if this pic were important.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:22 PM   #16

Pic #1
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:23 PM   #17

Pic #2
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:23 PM   #18

Pic #3
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:48 PM   #19

Histogram data are shown below:

Pic #1 - histogram almost blown out at about %5- more so at 75% (30/F2.8/ISO100/0EV)

Pic #2 - histogram blown out at about 5%- about 40% full scale between 25 and 50%- 30% full scale at about 95%(40/F2.8/ISO80/0EV)

Pic #3 - histogram rising to about 50% full scalenear 50%- 40% full scale near 90%- very narrow blow out at about 100% (40/F2.8/ISO80/0EV)

This post/thread is still alive over in the Newbie forum, also.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:31 AM   #20

I would just leave your camera in P mode with the flash permanently set to low. I useP mode as my totally brainless point and shoot option. In factsome experts say that the camera can focus quicker in P mode than auto mode if the focus area is kept tight.:|
popalot is offline   Reply With Quote