Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:22 PM   #1

Newbie...why does my H1 overexpose P&S indoor shots?...always calls for flash (when it shouldn't) and flash always too bright (and, can't turn it down in P&S mode)

Shots of people within about 6 ft are totally washed out...am working in Manual (or, Shutter priority) mode most of the time now, and, often have flash turned down or off...if I want flash indoors, must stand 20 ft away...

Maybe this is such a well-known problem that folks go to their workarounds and get on with life. Most reviews of this camera are outstanding - in spite of this characteristic. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

farleycw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:04 PM   #2

This is a common question.

More than likely there is nothing wrong with your H1. Also "too soon" is an incorrect observation ... it, like many if not most digital cameras,pre-flashes to get an idea of how to set itself as well as if you have red-eye reduction on BEFORE the photo is taken.

First, set it to auto mode and try it under many conditions. Use auto mode and watch what settings the camera uses in order to familiarize yourselfwith how it sets the various settings. If flash exposure works in auto mode, then you are simply setting your camera wrong in manual mode. Basicly, in manual mode you mustset the aperature to a higher f-value if you are overexposing OR a lower ISO or, perhaps, adjust the EV.

Also, most digital cameras tend to shoot at a lower ISO simply to ensure lower noise. Inside shots therefore DO require a flash in far more cases than you realize! The programmers of the camera have chosen automatic values that ensure the best possible shot under most conditions. If you are choosing a high ISO and flash under manual control, then it will probably overexpose so you need to use either a lower ISO or a smaller lens opening (larger f-number). The lens of your camerastops down to only F-8 ... so you may need to use a lower ISO.

Again, use the camera in fullauto mode until you get the feel for it. If you do not truly understand the interrelationships between ISO, speed, and aperture, you may want to read here

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/...alculator.html or here

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Also do a search on these (Steve's) forums and you will find a wealth of info re your H1. And do read and re-read the manual even if you are an old hand at "pitchurtakin"! Hope this helps.

Oh, on edit one more thing: EXIF data ... your camera records all settings, etc. with the picture. Some EXIF data can be read in Windows XP and all info in programs like PhotoShop (or download EXIFER). After you put your shots onto the computer, look at the shot and its settings ... this will also help you learn how to out-think the automatic modes and efficiently and effectively use manual modes only when the circumstances warrant.

BTW, my younger sister, after over 50 years of film,just got her H1 and loves it!

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:51 PM   #3

Thanks for your prompt reply...

1. Your post says this is a common question (to this forum). But, I have notfoundthis question to be acommon post at all! Maybe I don't know how to use this forum (have searched for H1, flash, exposure, etc.), so, I'll keep watching for additional posts to see if anyone else has my problem.

2. By flashing"too soon", I don't mean this in thesense of time butin the sense of exposure.The exposure level that kicks off my flash in P&S auto mode is too low - the extra light kick is not needed.(Not talking "red eye"- type flash here. And, the adapter is off the lens barrel.)

3. I am still learning how to use my H1 in P&S auto mode where all the variables are set for me.Manual mode works well (although I've got to set ISO, shutter, aperture, etc.). Auto mode doesn't work well with people indoors under marginal/poor lighting conditions. This is where I'm ataftera couplemonths of trying and checking settingsby takingvarious pic's (in autovs. manual mode) especially of people indoors. I use a base-case (auto)/test-case (manual)shootingapproach with the same subjectand comparethe corresponding pic's andEXIF shootingconditions displayed in the Review mode LCD screen. I also get a really good look at my pic's when I put them on my computer and refer to the Display shooting settings.

4. I think Iam familiar enough with ISO, speed, aperature, etc. to understand their interrelationship because my Manual mode pic's come out fine. Keep in mind, one doesn't have to know anything about these variableswhen shooting in P&S auto mode.

5. I've just started posting to get ideas. I've used Sony MVC-FD75/92 cameras a lot prior to this purchase. These are really simple cameras. Itrust the Sony brand but don't have wide film/digital camera experience to know how other cameras perform although I did review other cameras like the H1 before I bought it. As I recall, the consensus is that the H1 is a great camera for the money.

6. To repeat my earlier post, I can take nice pic's in Manual or Shutter priority mode under a wide variety of conditions - including people indoors. But, I've got to set up fast all the time before a good shot disappears. In P&S auto mode, the flash on my camera comes on even when there's enough light to take the pic without it, and, when it does, it'stoo bright.

7. Some feedback from others suggests forgetting the P&S auto mode andjust useManual mode, others say use a light diffuser on the flash, etc.

8.I'd love to read that both you and your sister have anH1 and are happy with P&S auto pic's taken of people indoors - say, six people sitting at a restaurant table close together. With my H1, I can't get closer than about 10 ft in P&S auto mode with auto flashturned on because I can't change any settings other than turn off the flash. At least I could lower the flash level on my MVC-92 from High to Normal to Low...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:44 AM   #4

Farleycw wrote

"I can't get closer than about 10 ft in P&S auto mode with auto flashturned on because I can't change any settings other than turn off the flash. At least I could lower the flash level on my MVC-92 from High to Normal to Low..."

No idea what I am doing as I have had my camera only a week but my first days indoor shooting was disappointing in P mode as the photos were also over exposed but since I set the flash level to low they have all come out perfect. Have you set the flash mode to low?

popalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:57 AM   #5

Thanks, popalot...

My shots are also ok in Program mode because I can reduce the intensity of the flash (as well as change the shutter speed and aperature). But Program mode is sort of like Manual mode - I have to change thing(s) to match the shooting conditions which takes time.

However, I can't change any settings in Point & Shoot automatic mode including the intensity of flash. In Point & Shoot mode, I can't just up and take a quick pic indoorswithout thinking because the flash might come on and spoil the shot. And, if I turn the flash off in advance, then the pic might be under exposed.

The only problem I have is with the totally automatic, brainless Point & Shoot auto mode with indoor, people pic's. Other shooting conditionsare just fine...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:09 AM   #6

To all eyes watching this post and thread who have a Sony DSC-H1 camera...

Would you please take a picture indoors under marginal lighting conditions in Point & Shoot (totally automatic) mode with at least one person sitting at a table about six feet away. Then, tell me if the flash came on and how it looks on the LCD screen, the computer, or printed out. Or, maybe you know what happpend from experience.

Folks replying to this and a similar thread on the Sony forum have not come right out and explicitly said that they'rehappy with the Point & Shoot auto mode under indoor conditions.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:14 PM   #7

OK this shot was taken in email resolution from about 5ft in auto mode with telephoto and looks a little over exposed to me.
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:16 PM   #8

This one was taken from the same spot in P mode which is set for low flash. The photos were taken at night under a light bulb so I would have expected the flashto go off
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:19 PM   #9

This one was taken in auto mode in wide angle from again 5ft
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:23 PM   #10

This one was taken in wide angle in P mode with the flash on low. This photo looks slightly dark to me.
Attached Images