Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:44 AM   #1

Hi, I'm new to the forums and just bought a Sony DSC-W5 two days ago. I was playing around with the camera, taking pictres indoors and such. All of a sudden, the pictures came out extremely dark, as in the objects were unrecognizable. Sometimes, the pictures were tinted red. This happened with the flash on. The camera was set to auto adjustment mode. The pictures were taken indoors. I will post a sample picture soon. I'm sorry if this question has already been asked before, but I'm such a newbie, this is my first digital camera and I'm clueless about photography. Can anyone please tell me why this is happening and how I can solve this problem. BTW, everything was set to normal, or automatic.
summer29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2

Here is a sample picture:
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:14 PM   #3

Are you sure the flash is actually firing and you are within its range?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:44 PM   #4

yes, definitely. the flash works and this picture was taken about a one or two meters away from the objects. Sometimes, the flash would be so bright the pictures would be all whit. All this happens when the camera is set to auto adjustment mode.

So what do you guys think the problems yes? Please help me out here because I need to know if my camera needs to be taken back to the store to be exchanged or not.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:02 PM   #5

Check the white ballance first! but it seams that the flash is not in sync with the camera. How about outdor shots?
sunstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:06 PM   #6

I'm having the same problem with flash pictures, pictures without flash are perfect.And flash pictures are good only when I hear that PAK sound of flash and its completly random good/bad flash picture ratio.
mrsoje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:22 PM   #7
Administrator

Well... here are some possible issues that are not indicative of a defective camera to check for:

Flash Range. I know you said 1 or 2 meters. But, that photo was taken zoomed in all the way.

As a result, the sensor doesn't get as much light. The maximum rated flash range for your W5 is 8.2 ft. (2.5m) at it's longest zoom setting. But, it's too underexposed to be a flash range problem from the size of the subjects in the image.

So, the second issue I'd suspect is that you're holding the camera in such a way as to cover up the flash sensor. See the tiny hole in th front of the camera? That's most likely a flash sensor. If you get your finger too close to it, it's going to cause flash exposure errors.

I've seen this issue come up before with subcompact models using a similar system to measure reflected light. Try shooting with you finger away from and close to the tiny sensor and see what happens (but, that's my most likely suspect for inconsistent flash exposures, unless the camera really is defective).

One other issue to check for is Autofocus. If you are not getting AF lock, that influences flash exposure with some models (because the algorithms take focus distance into consideration). Make sure you'e got AF lock before you shoot with a half press of the shutter button (pressing it the rest of the way down after lock is achieved).

P.S.

One more thing that can happen with some models (and I don't know if the W5 falls into this category), is if you take another flash photo before the flash is fully charged, you'll get an underexposed image (but, many models won't let you take another photo until the flash is ready).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:18 PM   #8

The W5 has TTL pre flash metering, there is no external sensor. It will also not let you take a pic until the flash capacitor is fully charged.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:20 PM   #9
Administrator

Well, darn. What's the tiny round circle I see on the front of it? It looks like a flash sensor you see on some models.

Aaah... duh.... That's the AF assist, huh?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:40 PM   #10

Yep:G