Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:49 PM   #1

I'm a newbie who has been leaning toward a Fuji F10 as my first digicam. Just discovered the Sony W5/W7 and am now considering them. I'm looking for a small (not tiny) camera with decent photo quality, a blend of auto and basic manual functions, and a 2.5 screen. Three questions:

1. Is the only difference between the two models the 5mp vs. 7 mp, or is there a difference in photo quality, noise reduction, etc.?

2. How do these models perform on full auto mode? I am willing to learn how to use some manual options, but my wife will probably only use it on auto?

3. How do you Sony users feel about quality and customer service of Sony digicams? I have no experience with their cameras.

Thanks so much!
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:05 PM   #2

I've been a long time user of Olympus digital cameras. Have two. Love the quality of pictures. Although both cameras had some manual features, I just use the auto point and shoot mode.

I decided to look for a new point and shoot because I wanted a 2.5 LCD, viewfinder, and movie mode. After much research, I purchased the Sony DSC-5W. It is the same as the 7W but I don't plan on printing 14x17 pics so the 7MP is overkill for me.

Since I just purchased it yesterday, I haven't much experience with it. The pics I've taken so far are fine for my eye. The camera is very simple to use and the hard cover manual is excellent. Can't say the same for the Olympus manual. Very difficult to read and understand. According to the manual there are several manual controls if you prefer to go that route.

This camera feels good in both my hands and my husbands large hands. It uses 2 AA rechargeable or alkaline batteries. Very nice feature. The LCD is great compared to the 1.8 that I had on my other cameras. I'm quite pleasedso far.
jagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:06 AM   #3

Jag,

I decided to go for the Fuji F10 once I saw it was selling for $199 at Target (reduced from $329 and an original price over $400). Couldn't pass it up. Guess I'll always wonder about the W5 . . . Ifthe F10 doesn't work out, I could always switch over.

Good luck with your W5!!

4eyes
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote