Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:32 AM   #1

I have a H1 that takes great pictures outside, but when I take pictures inside, even slow movments, such as hands are blurred why? I can go on any setting and it still does the same thing. Can I change a setting so it stops? Thanks
bschmidtbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

Hi there, I'm no expert in photography but here's my two cents...

I guess, you would be turning your flash off when you get the blurred images.

IWhat exactly is happening is this - When you turn the flash off, the shutter speeds are set very low which causes the images to get blurred. You got to increase the shutter speed, which you can do by setting the camer in 'S'mode or 'M' mode on the dial. Keep the shutter speed at 40 or above till you get an unblurred image.

you could find that with the above mentioned shutter speeds and with the flash turned off, you could get dark/underexposed pictures......Solution to that lies elsewhere......

Hope it helps, of course experts may be able to give a better/diff opinion.

guruosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:55 AM   #3

Your eyes adapt to indoor light and it looks fine to you. But there isn't enough to generate sufficient shutter speed and still properly expose the image. Stabilization helps you hold the camera at lower shutter speeds by eliminating hand shake. But stabilization does nothing to help subject movement.

There is no magic setting that will help. When the light gets to the point where the shutter speed falls below the reciprocal of the 35mm equivalent focal length the lens is wide open and giving you all the shutter speed it can to still expose the image with the available light. When the camera is metering full aperture and 1/8 second on the shutter, switching to manual and setting a faster speed is just going to give you a grossly underexposed image.

The only setting you can make to increase the shutter speed is to increase the ISO. That gives noisier photos.

The simple answer is to turn the flash on.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:52 AM   #4

as explained above the blur will be caused by slow shutter speeds.

If you dont plan on using flash in lo light situations then this is difficult to avoid.

Possible improvements are:

1) Use a higher iso level (400+). a higher iso level will increase ur shutter speed but on the flip side increase noise in the photo

2) Open ur fstop as wide as it will go (usually f 2.8 A large aptre will also increase ur shutter speed. The catch to this is a shallow depth of field. Personally i like shallow dof.

3) turn your flash on. Ths will be the easiest way to eliminate this issue. Usualy most cams run at arnd 1/30 shutter speed while opertaing under flash (0 comp) conditions. This is usually fast enough to eliminate any motion blur from people wanting ther photo taken.

If u are not to keen on using flash i would suggest getting the sun to shine through a window as digicams respond well to natual light. Take photos outside or fire up some inside lights and change ur white balance to the required type (tungsten etc)

hope this helps

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:52 PM   #5

Thanks, I tried it again and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks. I will just have to get a little bit more familiar with this camera.
bschmidtbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:42 AM   #6

so what was the trick ?

i keep using my old DSC-P72 over the DSC-P93

BECAUSE of this problem

i think SONY tried some new method that doesn't work indoors
demoniobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:58 AM   #7

demoniobox wrote:
Quote:
so what was the trick ?

i keep using my old DSC-P72 over the DSC-P93

BECAUSE of this problem

i think SONY tried some new method that doesn't work indoors

Um ther shouldnt be any diff with the models. Have you matched up the settings on both cams and does the new cam give a more blurred image?

Again it wil just be a question of shutter speeds.

as mentioned above the techniques will help to increase the shutter speed. The average hand wil need around probly a 1/15 to get a semi decent image. so boost up the iso, open up ur aptre. if this doesnt work fire up the flash.

quite simply u need more light to get into the cam.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote