Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:02 PM   #1

I have a Sony T9 and it is fab in daylight and in low light without flash. It does ok with the flash in low light ie indoors in daylight ;but it is rubbish if it is darker. I bought mine to go to parties as I have an H1 for my day trips. In dark situations I get 50% of pictures that get fuzzy spots on which ruin the photos. It is described as either dust reflection (or I thinkpossibly lens flare/reflection). Whatever it is, It has made me feel very disappointed. The manual says these hazy spots are not a malfunction so I guess I will have to stop going to parties!I have found other reviews which have reported same thing; so be aware.

There are some example photos on the site below

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=2673
Attached Images

coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:36 AM   #2

Can other T9 owners experiment with taking a few shots in dark situations please and letting me know the results.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 1:50 PM   #3

My T9 works very well. Nice pictures in daylight. Pictures with flash are nice, too.

Look at this review: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_t9-review/
Gives you a nice view on the T9.
memorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:20 AM   #4

Thankyou for you comments.

I also emailed Jeff from DPreview who wrote a review on the T9. He confirmed that they are dust spots. This led me to really scrutinize where this dust was! Not obvious in the room so took camera to the window and really studied the lense. To my amazement I could see dirt on the inside of the lense.

I took the camera to the sony shop for advice. The gentleman in there had a T7 and said that he got spots unless he kept the lense really cleanHe tried to clean the lense with a cotton bud. He then agreed that it was on the inside and has given me a form to return the camera hopefully covered under guarantee to Sony. I really do not feel as though I have done anything that would causee this. It has had a case since day 1.

I will post the outcome.....fingers crossed!!!
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:57 AM   #5

DPreview has no review about the T9 online.
This is clearly a fault during manufacturing of the lense. No need to worry, just send it back to your retailer and get a new one.
Of course you have to keep the lense clean! This is true for all cameras.
memorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:24 AM   #6

Sorry, not DPrevie....The site you suggested earlier! http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_t9-review/
I emailed the person who was named at the end of the review so many thanks for that as it did help.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:46 PM   #7

Coral, how is it going? what news from Sony?
volare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:08 AM   #8

I have sent it off freepost but they said I would probably not hear anything for 10 to 14 days.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:00 PM   #9

I received my camera back today!!!! at last. It has been cleaned. So far I have taken 30 indoor photoes and only got a spot on 1. This is a vast improvement! It was done under warranty, no costs incurred... all postage was free too so well done Sony. :-)
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:50 PM   #10

Hello! I have buy a T9 today and some photos have the dust!!! My question is: how many photos with this problem is "normally"? I have about 15%...
Thanks at all and excuse me for my English....
justaman is offline   Reply With Quote