Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:43 PM   #1

This morning for the first time since I got my H1 a few days ago I attempted to take pictures of the sunrise. As I pointed the camera to the sun, the LCD went nuts and as I moved the camera to compose the shot, the colors on the LCD went from natural to some weird greens, reds and yellows, way over saturated. Is this a normal LCD behavior on the H1 or should I be concerned about a potential LCD problem with my camera? I have 30 days to return it and exchange for a new one if there is indeed a problem. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:40 PM   #2

Hi Tullio. I am new to this forum. No one seems to have replied to your question. I am thinking of buying an H1. I don't think there is a problem with your camera. I pointed my Ricoh too close to the sun as well and got the same effect. Novel photo actually. That was ages ago and the camera is still working as good as new. Hope this helps you decide what to do. Cheers. Chas.
chas.sellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:34 PM   #3

Hi chas, thanks for your reply. I spoke with Sony about it and they said the effect I experienced was normal and it was caused by the fact that the H1 lens is not as well coated as the Carl Zeiss lens used on other Sony models. They suggested I used a CP filter to reduce glare.Although a pretty discouraging comment, Ifound the image quality of the H1 to be superb and I haven't really experiencedthe effect I described. I'm very happy with my H1 and even though the H2/H5 come with the CZ lens, I find the H1 to have some great features no longer available on the new models, so I'm sticking with it.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:42 AM   #4

Hello again Tullio. Glad to be of help. Thanks for the reply. Chas.
chas.sellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:26 AM   #5

OK when the screen went funny colours did all the text and osd go funny colours too.

i would have thought it was the ccd overloading with too much light input.

its not too good for a ccd to be exposed directly to the sun

just my thoughts

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:07 AM   #6

Hi Ken,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, the entire LCD went psychedelic. I haven't taken pictures of sunrise/sunset with direct sun light hitting the lensand I haven't experienced such a weird effect on the LCD since.