Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:52 AM   #1

A Friiend on mine is offering me A new Sony DSC-R1 for th price of Nikon D50 with the kit lens, I was set on buying the Nikon Until his offer. Sould I take? I konw its a stupid question to be asking on a Sony Forum but I will Also be posting the same question in Nikon Forum just to be able to get each side Pros and Cons on people who have actually use the Camera.

Ill be using it mostly on family gatherings and activities, heard some issues on low light focusing on R1. I have come from a Prosumer MInolta Dimage A1 if at least it can focus as fast as my A1 thats good enough for me(just in case any body here has an A1/A2)

Thanks in advance
taolang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:57 AM   #2

I have both the R1 and a dSLR (a Nikon, but not the D50). Comparing the R1 to your A1, I think you will find the R1 is like a larger A1. The R1 AF is probably a bit better, it's high ISO performance is much better and it's image quality is definately better.

With a dSLR you have much faster AF and the ability to change lenses. The dSLR will also have much shorter shutter lag (mostly an AF related issue). If you want to shoot RAW, then the dSLR will give significantly better performance (unless you buy a Fuji S3 :-)).

External TTL flash performance is also much better with the dSLR. The R1 has a significant lag when shooting with external (TTL) flash and the choice of external TTL flash units is currently VERY limited.

The Nikon iTTL flash is excellent and the available Nikon flash units are also very good (I use the SB-800). I hesitated a long time before buying the SB-800, mainly because of the price, but now I am very glad I did.

So what you really need to think about is will you be shooting in fast moving situitations where the faster AF and faster response of the dSLR is important, or will you need to change lenses? If you answer yes, then the dSLR is the better choice.

Do I like my R1? You bet I do. It's an excellent camera. If you are happy with your A1, then I think you will be very happy with the R1. Just keep in mind the advantages a dSLR has over the R1 before you make your decision, then decide accordingly.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Thai, i never realy thought about till you mentioned it, yes I guess i will be having a much better external flash performance and options with D50, have an old Nikon N70 film SLR and I just love how nikon balance flash with natural light even set on Auto, and I dont think Sony can match those yet.

But damn that lens on R1 just keeps me drolling and another thing since I have never clean a sensor in my A1 cam how often do you clean the sensors on DSLR (since you have mentioned that your also using one) your cam, just to have an idea (avegerage once a week, a month?)
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:13 AM   #4

How often do I clean my sensor? Basically, as often as needed. If I start to see spots showing up in my photos, I go outside and shoot blue sky at f32 and examine the image at 100%. If I see a lot of specks, then I do a sensor clean.

Basically, this works out to about once every 3 months or so. It doesn't take long and it's not difficult. It's actually kind of tedious.
- clean
- blue sky shot
- examine
- repeat as necessary

You read a lot about people fretting about doing a sensor clean, or others saying they will not buy a dSLR because of having to clean the sensor. Don't listen to them, it's no big deal and unless you are really ham fisted, you should be able to do it too without any problems.

The first time is always the most anxious, but once you have done it once or twice, then it becomes routine.

By the way, I use the sensor brush from Visible Dust. Works like a charm.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:32 AM   #5

After reading so many reviews, posting questions and asking suggestions on which camera to buy. I have finally decided to get myself a Nikon D50 with the kit lens, and let me tell those guys who are still in the same situation as I am about a week ago, you cannot go wrong with the D50 for its value and performance. You cannot truly appreciate its qualities until you have owned and trully used this camera (not used and testing it in camera store) there is still no replacement for real wolrd test and experince. Kit lens is good enough for its value, fast focus (suddenly my SLR film focus becomes very slow) and the color just pops even on its default setting and its vertaully noise free up to 800 and even at 1600 it is still good enough for me (my Dimage A1 suddenly becomes noisy even at Iso 100). i just love this camera and it gave me an appreciation to my old lenses.

Thanks again Thai

Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:40 AM   #6

Glad I could help and I hope you have lots of fun with your D50.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:52 AM   #7

You should be drolling over the Zeiss on the R1. There isn't any lens in 35mm that comes close in image quality, no matter what the price. If image quality is your primary goal, then get the R1. That being said, you could still get the N50 and look foward to buying new Zeiss lenses for it in the not too distant future and have the Best of both worlds-The handling and fantastic flash balancing of the Nikon combined with the worlds finest optics.
ecco is offline   Reply With Quote