Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 27, 2003, 4:03 PM   #1

Default P71 Transferring pics and batteries

I checked about 6 pages and didn't see this covered....sorry if these are repeat questions....

I just bought a P71 and went to Best Buy to buy a bigger memory stick and some backup batteries. First of all, the girl told me I should get the memory stick reader instead of transferring my photos by just plugging the camera into my computer....that it would cause wear and tear. Is she right or was she just trying to sell me a reader?

Also, of course the booklet says that I should ONLY use Sony batteries.....but was wondering if using another brand would be ok. And, if so, what brands are recommended? Again, the girl at Best Buy says you can't buy just the Sony batteries.....you have to get this package with two batteries, a 4-battery charger and a camera case...

Please advise! I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I also want to do what's best for my camera!

Thanks!
Stephanie
NashvilleSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2003, 4:48 PM   #2

Mainly She was trying to sell You things. While a reader is faster and depending on how You do things it could be better; I find the opening and swapping out memory sticks has its own wear and tear. The batteries are 1750 mAh NiMH batteries, there are lots of places to get good batteries, and more memory always more memory. I would add that reviews of the battery charger that came in Your package is very slow. Thatís My two cents, hope it helps.
rlpumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpumphrey
Mainly She was trying to sell You things. While a reader is faster and depending on how You do things it could be better; I find the opening and swapping out memory sticks has its own wear and tear. The batteries are 1750 mAh NiMH batteries, there are lots of places to get good batteries, and more memory always more memory. I would add that reviews of the battery charger that came in Your package is very slow. That’s My two cents, hope it helps.
Thanks!

Well, I won't be transferring pictures every single day.....so I really will be doing it on a very limited basis and it's just easier to plug in the camera and go.....

So if I just get these 1750 mAh NiMH batteries you talk about, they will do just fine? It took 13 hours to charge the batteries that came with the camera....so slow!
NashvilleSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:31 PM   #4

Steve is a far better writer then Me. I would refer You to two of his links. But the short answer is there are any number for batteries that will do the job for You.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_accessories.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

As for the other items You most likely need more memory, a case for the camera, and list other items. But You donít need them all today.
rlpumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote