Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:48 PM   #1

Default Sony 717 Picture Deletion Problem

Steve....
Just purchased a 717.... Great Camera.. My neighbor has one also..
He has his set to USB Connect "Normal" and when he downloads his pictures from camera thru XP Camera Wizard... to goes to a pre-determined file.... THE PICTURES IN CAMERA ARE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED. I like this.....and what I want to happen.

On mine... a new 717.. I do all the above.... but with "Normal"... nothing happens... I set it to USB Connect "PTP" and everything downloads... etc... BUT I HAVE TO MANUALLY DELETE PICTURES IN CAMERA. This I do not like....

Sony says that the camera should always be set to PTP... but why would my neighbors computer/camera auto delete... and mine will not.?..
We both have XP Home Version... We both have same camera driver version.
Any suggestions...... who should I call?? Sony doesn't seem to know what is happening...
Thanks for your suggetions and :? help....
Dennis L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2003, 9:23 AM   #2

I've got the 717 also and I have to manually delete the pictures off of my camera also. Could your neighbor be pulling your leg? If not I sure would like to know what he's doing also!!
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:09 AM   #3

To Magic Mike... no, neighbor not pulling my leg about deleting pictures in camera thru computer I spoke to Sony Tech Service, they said that it is proper to delete in camera.... if delete thru computer, eventually it will corrupt the memory stick.... I don't know if true or not..... but that is what they said.
Dennis L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:19 AM   #4

I'm downloading from a 717 to Win 98 and am having the images in camera deleted upon completion of download. You have to change the default setting on the image transfer software supplied by Sony. However, what I found was that you have to open the image transfer setting properties up from the image transfer icon on lower right portion of taskbar to get all the tabs. When I open the settings up from image transfer icon on my desktop I only get one tab (vs. 3 the other way) which does not give the auto-delete option after download.
kdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:29 AM   #5

I noticed that when I use my XP Home machine to download the images, and click the option to delete them on the memory stick, it works just like it is supposed to. I never installed any drivers though and am just using XPs built-in features.

Then, on my iBook with OS X, in iPhoto, it downloads the images but even though i check the box to delete them, it didn't delete them.

Weird stuff going on. Either way. It is not very difficult to just delete all pictures using the cameras menu system.
giphlag is offline   Reply With Quote