Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:38 PM   #11

Was going to get a Pana fz30 but am waiting for reviews of H5. Is this a fair comparison?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:47 AM   #12

I'd say no. Although the FZ30 is also a 12x zoom camera,it has 8 MP (the H2/H5 has 6 and 7 respectively) and its build is closer to an DSLR.The lens does not retract, it has a manual zoom ring, it supportsRAW image format, filter and converterlens attach right to the lens (no extra adapter needed), etc. I thinkthe FZ30 issomewhat comparable to the R1, even though the R1 is a 5x zoom only. If you want to compare the new Sony H2/H5against the Pana, then you should use the FZ7, which just came out and already got some reviews (very positive BTW) or the FZ5 (previous generation).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:56 PM   #13

Got a question about these new Sony's. I don't know the technical term so please bear with me. I used to have an older Sony Cybershot camera. (An S70 if I remember correctly.)
When I would change the settings (aperture, shutter, etc)of the camera, the LCD would instantly show the results of those changes and would show me what the result would be like when I pressed the shutter button.
Fast forward acouple years, I wanted a higher optical zoom camera and bought a Kodak X10 zoom camera and sold my Sony. With the Kodak, I have no idea how the image is going to turn out until after I have taken the picture.
I really like the "preview" feature that my old Sony had, and am planning on getting the H5 in June if it can do the same thing. Anybody know if it does?
I hope all this made sense.

Thanks
Gene
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:29 AM   #14

I don't think the H5 does what you want, Gene. With the exception of the live histogram, which will give you an idea of how exposed your picture is before you take it, the difference between anyother setting can only be seen once the picture is taken. In other words, by changing the aperture for instance the camera will not show you the different DOF through the EVF or LCD. That's my understanding.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:38 PM   #15

I am sure the h5 will show your changes on the lcd. The h1 will and I do not think they will downgrade the h5. C.W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:27 AM   #16

I have the H1 and it does not show the effects of changing the settings by just pressing the shutter release half way down.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:04 PM   #17

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will just to find a B&M store when it comes out and fool around with the camera first.
Just to be clear, I didn't have to half press the shutter button down to notice the change. For example, if I decreased the shutter speed, and moved the camera around, the main LCD screen would show a darker,jerky lookingimage. Once I held the camera still, it showed a clear, brighter than normal image. This is what I'm looking for in the new Sony.
I would be happy if the Sony LCD showed the correct light levels. The Kokak auto-brightens the image so you can see it better on the LCD. That throws me off more than anything. I think what I'm taking a picture of is bright enough, because I can see it fine on the LCD. But once I actually snap the shutter button, It's too dark because it was badly lit. Thats what I'm trying to get away from.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote