Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:51 AM   #1

Hi..call me retro..but i still have and use my DSC-P72

why ?

last year i had a DSC-P31 which was EXCELLENT and SUPERB.. i sold my 31 and buy the new "DSC-P41" which is the same P43 W/o TV OUT feature and it comes w/o battery charger,reading the manual ai found ot the they got a new " noise reduction" technology that i dont remember the name right now which results in slow shutter speed indoors with normal light...so ..every single pic i shot was blurry !

i had to sold it and buy an old DSC-P72 which i think is way better but not better than my old dsc-p31 which i think has a faster shuter ...

What is Sony doing ? i keep reading and reading about people complaining about this and i really think its a major problem and i won't buy a new Cybershot cause im afraid they all have this "problem"

what you think ?

thanx
demoniobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:26 AM   #2

i have never heard of this issue and i was under the influence that a longer shuter speed will often result in more noise UNLESS its a nr shot where a 2nd shot is taken where the differences (noise ofcourse) wil be subtracted from the original image.

so im assuming tht u r taking the images with identical settings (p mode etc) with same iso level, fstop setting and light setting and its resulting worse than ur old cam>?

can u post one of the images you are not happy about with allt he exif data atached.

cheers

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:34 AM   #3

Hi...i dont have the exif data

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"but here is an example

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:52 PM   #4

i can see ur exif data

fstop: 2.8
exp time: 0.62
Iso: 400
Metering mode: pattern

yea i can see at this shutter speed it will be almost impossible to get a decent image of a person. i can see by lookin at the shot the lighting isnt al that hot which would explain y the cam is reducing the shutter speed so lo. but i have no idea why it would be any worse off than ur older cam.

i mean i can see that you are taking the photo with just insde lighting (tungsten) im guessing. i can see that by the yellow colour cast over the whole image. But unfortunately tungsten lighting is really poor and you need a ton of it before you can achieve half decent shutter speeds.

I own a pana fz30 which is ther top digicam and even when itake photos inside with no flash under tungsten light it is extremely difficult not to get a blurry photo just because the condition as so bad.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:12 AM   #5

1 how can you see the data ?

i dragged the pic into a txt and all i found was that was taken with the P41

2 my dsc-p72 can take better shotsthan the 41 !

well...the image was indoors in a living room with 2 normal room lights
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:41 AM   #6

The noise reduction feature you think is causing your bad indoor pictures is a subtractive system for night shots over a second. It has nothing to do with anything but night shots on a tripod and has nothing to do with why the photo you posted is blurred.

The P72 is also limited to F2.8 and ISO400. If you took the same exact shot with it the P72 would also have to meter somewhere around ½ second to get proper exposure and there is no way to handhold at that low a speed. You need around 1/30 second in wide angle. You need more shutter speed in telephoto.

If you took the new camera out of the box, charged the battery and pushed the shutter in that situation you would have gotten a good picture with either camera. Either one would have fired the flash and taken a good picture. Turn the flash on or back to auto and you won't have a problem.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:14 PM   #7

Nope,the 72 has not that problem,i compared it ..andi didnt want to use the flash

i hate flash pictures
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:17 PM   #8

Would you mind posting a photo in the same light from the P72?
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:41 PM   #9

well if you dont wznt to use flash the only way around it is to provide better lighting for your camera to meter against to increase shutter speeds or buy a good slr camera and run upwards of iso800 to increase shutter speeds.

If you have photo shop cs2 i would suggest trying a flash photo and then apply the image adjustment "Shadows and highlights" this is a great function and really minimises the look of a flash photo and makes it look really natural.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:44 PM   #10

demoniobox wrote:
Quote:
1 how can you see the data ?

i dragged the pic into a txt and all i found was that was taken with the P41

2 my dsc-p72 can take better shotsthan the 41 !

well...the image was indoors in a living room with 2 normal room lights

in windws xp sinmply right click the image and slect properties then select summary and then select advanced. as long as you havenet used any half pie editing progs or have deleted the exif intentionaly everything should be ther.