Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:26 PM   #1

What is the PPi for the Sony H1? I can't seem to find it anywhere?~
Hippyatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:00 PM   #2

I wouldn't worry much about ppi. You'll easily be able to print images up to 8x10 with no issues. PPI isn't really a big deal unless your printing very large (which is why your not finding any info on it).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:25 PM   #3

i always though ppi is relevant to the printing size. so yea i dot think it will exist unless you are nominating a size to print with.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:49 PM   #4

PPI is directly related to print size and resolution.. The larger the print, the less PPI the image will have and less detail will be visible. I think PPI is relative to M-pixels. That is all 5 MP cameras will have roughly the same PPI at the same print sizes and as MP increases, PPI at a given print size will increase. Again, unless you're printing very large (say above 11x14), you shouldn't worry too much about PPI.....most name cameras will be able to print 8X10 or even 11x14 with no problem.

Here is a link that explains PPI and DPI a bit better than I can.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...uary_2005.html

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
PPI is directly related to print size and resolution.. The larger the print, the less PPI the image will have and less detail will be visible. I think PPI is relative to M-pixels. That is all 5 MP cameras will have roughly the same PPI at the same print sizes and as MP increases, PPI at a given print size will increase. Again, unless you're printing very large (say above 11x14), you shouldn't worry too much about PPI.....most name cameras will be able to print 8X10 or even 11x14 with no problem.

Here is a link that explains PPI and DPI a bit better than I can.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...uary_2005.html
Yea i agree with what you are saying. but what i mean is we already know the res of the cam, and we know we need res and poposed image size to calc ppi.

therefore the variable we are missing is image size. we cant define anything until we know this variable.

you need to establish a variablein order to calculate a ppi. and in this case the variable would be the image size (6x10 etc)as we already know the res of the cam is 5mp. without knowing what sort of image size the user wants to achieve ppi is undefined.

sorta like saying whats the width of a rectangle if the area is 6m^2. we are missing a variable which is the height so its an undefined number thereofre this mean nothing. sorta like ppi in this case. if ther is no proposed image size then ppi means nothing as it is no definate.

so an apprpriate question would be
what would be my ppi if i was to take an image at 5mp and print at 8x10.
therefore all the variables are present and the formula can be completed to provide a solution.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:25 PM   #6

Not sure if this is what you want, but when I shoot at the highest possible quality, my H1 saves the pics as 2592 X 1944 jpegs. I have had great results with both 8X10 and 11X17 on a Canon i9900, when printing using both QImage Pro and Adobe Photoshop CS2. Haven't tried 13x19 enlargements yet. If I do, I'll post here.

Regards,
Steve R
rocksr is offline   Reply With Quote