Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:12 AM   #1

Morning

As a newbie to Digicams I've just bought a Sony-DSC W7 to get going. I've been messing about with it and its a great camera. One thing I have found is that if I'm in a poor light situation (indoors in the evening) and, whilst in auto mode, I change from normal shot mode to Burst (or multi-burst) the LCD darkens but stays the same level of darkness if I change from Burst to Multi-Burst or vice-versa. If I'm in good light (outdoors) nothing changes. My,potentially incorrect,intuition about apeture size and shutter speeds suggests the LCD should get lighter (apeture should open up as the shutter speed increases for multi-burst).

Can anyone let me know if this is normal and why it happens?

Cheers

Chris

Homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:47 AM   #2

Hi there welcome to the forums

im not sure why you want to achieve a burst shot indoors but anywyas just incase if you dont no.

Burst mode is a mode where the cam takes very fast sequential shots one after another. usually if you are photographing sporting or something fast that you want to capture in multiple stages. Now multi burst i tihnk it a mode where the cam generates one hufge image which is made u of thumb nails of fast sequential images.

Now the whole point of bursting is to take images quickly. images a only be taken quickly if the shutter speed is relatively quick. now wth fast shutter speed in lo light conditions it is common to have under exposed shots.

Now in burst modes shutter speeds are usually caped to a minimum of 1/30 and usually flash is disabled as it simply can keep up with burst shot demands. All this high speed does not sit well with lo light indoor shots

therefore the reason why your screen is goin black or dark is bcse when you change to burt modes the shutter speed is instantly setting itself to 1/30 and the screen is giving you a "What You See Is What You Get" preview of how the images will appear and ofcourse the cam is correct 1/30 shutter in lo light will give you very dark results.

The reason why nothing changes when you move outdoors is because 1/30 shutter speed which is nominated by burst by default is acceptable to correctly expose the images as cameras respond well to sun light and im guessing its a whole lot brighter than indoors.

if you want to take brigher indoor shots you need to keep cam in normal shot mode. and try following.

Prob the easiest way tomake images bright it to use ev and set it to the required amount. +2/3 for example. Now indoors will give you lo shutter speeds that if you are taking the pictures hand held you will get blurry images. you need to bump up shutter speeds by doing the following.

Either hike up the iso level. hi iso means the cam is more sensative to the light therefore increasing shutter speed. Only downfall is hi iso usually result in hi noise. noise is irregularities and haz in an image. In refernce to fstop try a wide fstop (2.8 for example) which is as big as it will go to maximise light into the cam. But the quick fix is use flash.

hope this helps. if u need any clarification just ask. i used to own dscw5 and it was an excellent camera.

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:53 AM   #3

Hi Ken

Firstly thanks for the reply. I'm a man of detail so this hits the spot.

The Burst and Multi-Burst functions on the Sony are

Burst - Takes one photo after another until memory full

Multi Burst - Takes a burst of n-photos (n=10 on W7).

The reason for wanting to use Burst/Multi-Burst Modes indoors is a young niece who does not enjoy having her photo taken. I figured if I took a burst at least one of them would not be of the back of her head! She moves quickly for a young one.

I had a quick question, if thats okay?

In the Burst/Multi-Burst Mode if the camera sets a fast shutter speed why doesn't it set a wide fstop to capture more light? Is it because the open->close->open action could not be achieved in the shutter speed time?

Thanks again and best wishes

Chris

Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:01 PM   #4

Ohh i see

The w7 will definately be able to run a shutter of 1/30 at its widest apture. Without a doubt your camshould be able to run atleast 1/500 shuter at tht aptre. but yea unfortunatelty indoor situations just have poor light. And its not jus the w7 all cams wil experience a similar issues. ofcourse i dont no what your photo conditions are like so im assuming alot.

If you want to change the fstop value (now im not sure if the cam will let u do this) on your moe dial select "m" for manual. Now i cant remember how to get into the fstop but i thinku just hit the middle control button and adjust the fstop as wide as u can. Istil dont think this will make a diff but u can try.

I would suggest doin burst shots outdoors or even try to get some sunlight into the house. like get somelightin through glass sliding door etc.

hope i have answered ur question.

ken

Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:56 AM   #5

Hi Ken

I did some experimenting last night - which unfortunately has confused me more. I took a photo in auto mode with the normal capture set (1 click - 1 picture) and did the same with it set to burst and then multi-burst. The conditions were low light. When I went from normal to burst the LCD went darker but the photos captured came out the same as the normal shot - fstop, ISO and Shutter speed all the same and the pictures as bright as one another.When I went to Multi-Burst the LCD was as dark as in Burst and the pictures were as dark plus the shutter speed was much faster (which makes sense). So it seems in burst mode that what you see is not what you get! I think I need to compare it with another W7 so I'll take a walk to the local SONY shot.

Thanks again Ken

Chris
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:17 AM   #6

yea tht is weird, it should give you a preview of what you get. yea go and have a look and see how u go

ken

Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:55 AM   #7

Hi! I'm trying to take pictures of flowers with my w7 without success. It's blurry and the color is not accurate. While I was taking picture I noticed that the actual color and the color on the lcd are not the same. Maybe I just know how to use my camera so am asking for help.

I have attached a sample of what am talking about. I've tried adjusting all possible settings but this is the best I could get. Thanks in advance.

regards, ewbie
ewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:22 AM   #8

Umm...I think I did put an attachement but where did it go?
ewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:39 AM   #9

yea attach somethng and i wil look. i think it will br your whie balance settings just from wat u have described. i could be wrong though

ken

Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:45 AM   #10

Hi Ken

Just thought an update would be in order. My father came for the weekend and has just boughts a Sony H1. His shows the same 'feature' that in burst mode the lcd goes dark but the photo is as bright as when taken in normal mode. So it looks like its supposed to do that -I've spoken to SONYto ask why it should do this and they have passed it on to their technical team...I'll update this if I hear anything.

As for the other post I would suggest reseting it to the factory defaults...just in case they've altered something accidentily - there is an option in the menu to do this. It would also be worthwhile printing the photo out on a retailer printer (ICC Profile Compliant) to see if the lcd and picture match.

Cheers

Chris