Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:38 PM   #1

I will be going to Europe in Sept. I am looking at the Sony DSC-H1 and Canon S2 IS. I have the Canon S45 and S1 IS. You cannot use a flash in many museums and churches. How well does the DSC-H1 do in low light compared to S2 IS

Here is my web site with my thousands of pictures from my three European vacations:

http://69.47.81.240

2001: Sony 1.3 MP floppy camera
Italy: Rome, Milan, Stressa, Florence, and Assisi

2003: Canon S45
Italy, Sicily and Capri on Trafalgar

2004: Canon S45 and S1 IS
Holland America Cruise
Italy, Monaco, Spain, Malta, Croatia, Greece and Turkey

mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:06 PM   #2

I have both, the H1 and S2 (got this one about a week ago). Overall, the H1 is a much better, more solid camera. It offers life histogram in REC mode, which I think is a must to have, specially if taking indoor pictures without flash. It will tell you whether the scene is under or over exposed before you shoot, not after as the S2, forcing you to take multiple pictures of the same subject. The 2.5" LCD on the H1 is certainly a plus (the S2 has a sad 1.8" LCD). It lights up well in low light condition so you will have no problem composing images. But, I saved the best for less. The H1 AF is sooooo much better than the S2, it's not even funny. It's quick, accurate and it does not require a whole lot of contrast. There are three different modes you can set the AF to, which will give you a lot of flexibility when adjusting the camera to the various lighting conditions. The H1 also has a little wheel by the shutter release that allows you to quickly change the aperture, shutter speed or exposure without having to browse through the menu. Now you may be asking, why did you buy the S2 if you liked the H1 so much? And the answer is that I like the colors produced by the S2 a bit better. They are warmer than the H1. However, if I have to return one or the other, the S2 goes. No doubt about it.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:15 PM   #3

One thing I find helps a lot when you are pushing the limits is the burst mode. Any residual shake from pressing the shutter is gone in subsequent shots and you have a better chance of hitting a moment of null hand movement. Might not be the best choice for a vacation if you don't have storage for the images though. Burst fills the card pretty fast. But a burst of 3 shots gives me a much better chance of getting a sharp one than 3 individual shots.

The reason I mention that is that the H1 doesn't have a burst mode and the S2 has a pretty decent one. You could just hold the shutter and take a shot a second or so with the H1, but I can't hold it really steady that long.

I wasn't aware that the S2 didn't have a live histogram in record. It is a very handy feature once you learn to use it.

You might also look at the FZ20. It is about a half-stop faster at zoom.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:46 PM   #4

I have a Super Digibin 30GB / CF reader and will be getting a X-Drive 3310 with 80GB WD Scorpio. I will have enough picture space. I prefer shooting in RAW mode and cleaning them up with CS2 and other apps. I don't shoot in burst mode. I take one at a time in highest res or RAW mode.

Histogram is nice feature.

Check out my pictures to see the type of stuff I shoot. I love museums,architecture and ruins.

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5

The S2 only offers histogram in play mode (after the fact, which is pretty aggravating). The other good camera to check out is the Panasonic FZ5. It offers excellent IS, LEICA lens and TIFF format.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:49 AM   #6

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_Lu...-31346140.html

Did not like that huge lens adapter. I do use filters so it would not be easy to leave it on while in the camera bag.

Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:28 AM   #7

Quote:
I have a Super Digibin 30GB / CF reader and will be getting a X-Drive 3310 with 80GB WD Scorpio. I will have enough picture space. I prefer shooting in RAW mode and cleaning them up with CS2 and other apps. I don't shoot in burst mode. I take one at a time in highest res or RAW mode.
You should check the specs. I don't think either the H1or S2 have RAW. As long as you are stuck with JPG you might find burst a big help in limited light. Many people here use it for that purpose.

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ30. If you are using CS2 the RAW mode is pretty good. And it cycles RAW very fast for a non-DSLR.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:37 AM   #8

They don't have RAW. I figured the DSC-H1 or S2 IS would be fine. I wanted the 12x zoom and around 5-6MP. Something that shoot decent in low light without flash. RAW would be great but I can live without it.

I was looking at S5200 and S9000 but read some poor reviews on them. I did look at the FZ30. The price was higher than I wanted to pay. I thought the RAW mode took to long to save. Would faster SD media help with that? I will check out the FZ30 postings. The FZ30 RAW has 16MB per image. and S9000 was over 25MB per image. The storage device has not been purchased. I can get it without a hard drive and put a Western Digital Scorpio 120GB in it. FZ30 was overkill for my needs. I do not print poster size pictures. Only a few 5x7, 8x10, etc. Mainly post them to my web server and video DVDs. 8-9 MP is too large and I have to shrink them.

My web server is down. Forgot to turn it on this morning. I shoot in Canon RAW on my S45. I had success in converting it to JPG and cleaning up the pictures. I just upgraded to Dual AMD 265 dual core 1.8 GHz Opterons and have PCI-X SCSI RAID to speed up the processing. I was considering a pair of 280s and upgrading from 3GB to 6GB of RAM for CS2.

I use reviews.cnet.com and this site to get great balanced information. I also like to hear from users of the product and see the pictures posted.

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:13 AM   #9

The FZ30 is at a different price range (much more expensive). Take a look at the FZ5. The only thing I don't like about it is the proprietary battery, reason why I did not buy it (as lame as it may seem).
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:42 AM   #10

I was trying to find a AA battery camera that I could share with my S1 IS. I have 12 x 2500mAh batteries for my S1 IS.I will still have both S45 and S1 IS on this trip as spare cameras. It seemed like all Panasonic's used their own batteries. DSC-H1 used two batteries instead of four. I don't usually use the flash or LCD. I use EVF when shooting. I don't do movies. I prefer stills.