Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:38 AM   #1

Hello everybody, please help. I was all set to purchase a Sony H1 yesterday but when I arrived at the store they were all sold out except for the display which I could have bought at a huge discount. The problem is after talking to salesman he said that more than half of all the H1's that they sold were returned due to faulty lcd screens going black. needless to say this was a big turnoff for my wife so now I am still with out a camera. Apparentely they will not be recieving any more and suggested I wait for the H2. Is the wait justified or should I reconsider? Has anybody heard about this lcd saga or is it just hype. Really perfer the H1 over the Canon S2 but there were plenty of the S2 in stock. Maybe not a good sign. :?Any thoughts.
66Rani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 5:29 PM   #2

I've been using my H1 since they came out about 9 months ago. No problems here.
I've never heard of a "black screen" issue? ???

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:32 PM   #3

I have both,the H1 and S2. Never had a problem with the H1 LCD. I looked at the H2 specs and it did not impress me that much so I would not spend the extra bucks on the H2. Between the H1 and S2, I'd definitely go with the H1. I bought theS2 because ofits colorsaturation (warmer than the H1). However, the LCD is too small (1.8"), it does not offer live histogram in REC mode (PLAY mode only), the AF in macro mode sucks and the IS is not as good. I'm selling my S2 on eBay.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:15 PM   #4

sounds like BS to justify they didn't have any H1's in stock. I bought one one wk ago and have no problems at all with the LCD. this is a great camera ... I tried buying it over the internet in my state and they were all sold out according to the internet, but when I went to the store that was suppose to be sold out they had one left. sounds like a switch and bait sort of thing
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:35 AM   #5

I agree. They're sold out and want to push the S2, which is more expensive. There are plenty of online retailers where you can find the H1. Keep an eye on Crutchfield. Although they are on the expensive side, they have something called the Outlet store, which carries items that were returned by whatever reason other than defects. Those items are brand new but because they were once sold, the store can no longer re-sell them as being brand new. Theyare sold $40-$60 less than their full price. Check it out.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:59 PM   #6

I have had my H1 for 2 months and have taken hundeds of pictures with no problems. Buy it . C.W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote