Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:10 PM   #1

H1 digital. If I want to take picture of dogs running is it better to use the golf symbol setting, or use the S setting and change the shutter speed or they both the same. Like dogs running over hurdles ...
minnieusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:13 AM   #2

In sunlight the golf setting would work. But if you dont have sun, It's better to go with the shutter priority. Actually Aperture priority at 2.8, you could monitor what speed would work with the lighting aeound by using the light and adding ISO light. Adding ISO if blurry. Then find the speed that works and use shutter prioritywith that set speed for constant exposures.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:13 AM   #3

Hope your photos turn out good. :G
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:25 PM   #4

I've attached a photo of a flyball dog ... this dog was slow so I was able to get this shot using the "golf" setting, but was not able to get the faster dogs like border collies without guaging where they would be. I am not experienced using aperture settings, etc., but must learn now. aperture means what the lens opens up according to light, right ? Ok, so if I use setting S I don't have to worry about correct light setting as the camera will do it for me, right !!. I only have to use the dial and change the ASA to a higher number which the camera allows - up to 1000. am I making sense. I have a week to figure this out as I go back next Sat. I am so happy with this camera ... love the fact that the dial is on the outside rather than trying to set something in a lcd or viewfinder.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:15 PM   #5

Your only way through this is keep the lens at wide angle with 2.8 or the less it can and up ISO to 200 or 400.

Aperture priority allows up to 1/2000 past f5.6. And you can do this if you lower ev by a certain amount, add flash. It's going to be difficult for a quicik dog.

Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:02 AM   #6

woow im surprised the 1/1000 isnt fast enough. Umm yea only option is to hike up the iso level which will increase the shutter by a stop. Im not sure about the parametres of your cam but yea you will need more shutter speed if you want to eliminate tht blur.

wow the dog must really be moving. i shot cars at around 1/400 and they are doing about 100mph

so anyways more iso i think
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 7:27 AM   #7

I didn' use a 1/100 setting ... I only used the golf setting ... and whatever that automatically brings up. I'm asking how to use manual settings to up the ASA ... which setting and what do I do ... the manual to this camera is worthless ... I rely on this forum which has been great. Dogs are running over 4 hurdles very fast ... Can you pan with this camera at a different ASA
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:57 PM   #8

yea looking at ur exif information the camera selected:

shutter: 1/1000
fstop: 2.8
Iso: 125

for the above situation in the auto golf mode.

so you want to up the asa (iso) this should be in the drop down menu along the bottom of the screen. Ofcourse you wont be able to adjust this in an auto mode or scene mode (i think). put cam in Av mode set apture to 2.8 and let cam select shutter speed. Hit menu button and scroll left until you come to iso. wind it up. your shutter speed will increase accordingly. keep in mind the more iso the more noise.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote