Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:55 PM   #11
Administrator

P.S.

If he advertised it on Ebay as a working camera, I'd threaten to get Ebay involved. I'd find it hard to believe that this issue was not known at the time the camera was listed. Cameras break for a variety of reasons.

Of course, if you submit negative feedback, the seller may try to retaliate with negative feedback of his own. With Ebay, you take your chances unless you research the seller carefully and know that they'll work with you on this type of issue.

The Sony DSC-F717 is a very nice camera. It's about as good as it gets without going to a DSLR for many uses. I would not hesitate to buy one for my personal use, despite the CCD issue (and I've owned more than one Sony in the past). The Sony DSC-F717 is the "cream of the crop" as far as digicams go.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:25 PM   #12
Administrator

duke wrote:
Quote:
Yes the F717 is a good camera , I sold my F828 and was lucky to buy a F717 brand new in box ... although it has been discontinued for several years, I like it better than the F828 but that's just my opinion.
I've seen that exact same opinon from others that sold their DSC-F717 for the newer DSC-F828 (liked the older DSC-F717 better). The DSC-F717 has lower noise levels, lower CA, more realistic ISO speed sensitivity, and is more useful in a greater variety of conditions (especially shooting in existing light without a flash or tripod).

Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:32 AM   #13

I also have the problem of distored image in camera mode in my sony dsc f717 serial no 1501182.I am not satisfied with the performance of the camera.I have taken only 1100 photogrpahs after purchasing it in the month of feb,2004, The problem of distored image arises in the last week during my visit to Goa India and spoiled the the whole journy.I am highly disappointed with problem. Anyguidence to solve the problem will highly be appriciated from the owner of this bad camera.
vpgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:26 PM   #14

The problem can be fixed for free by Sony, out of warranty.

I have already sent mine in for repairs.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:57 AM   #15

I got my F717 back today.

Sony repaired it for free, and refunded the inspection fee as well, which was very decent of them.

The CCD Imager replacement is a 2005 part, and so far the pictures look pretty good, except for some reason, the Setup menu flashes a tiny bit.

Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:25 AM   #16
Administrator

Great. I'm glad Sony took care of it quickly for you.

Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:47 PM   #17
Administrator

P.S.

You should see some of the photos that Angel L. has from a DSC-F717. She's got some night baseball game photos shot at 1/500 second shutter speed from a DSC-F717 that were underexposed a stop or more at ISO 800 (making the photos equivalent to ISO 1600 or greater after brightening them using Picasa.

After running them through the free version of Noiseware, they were still perfectly usable for web viewing sizes.

It's f/2.0-2.4 lens is twice as bright as the lens on most other non-DSLR models with a zoom at most focal lengths (the Sony's goes up to same angle of view as a 190mm lens would on a 35mm camera).

The brightness the Sony gives you on it's wide end at f/2 is twice as bright as f/2.8 (what most other zoom lenses give you on their wide end). Sometimes the difference is even greater (usually to the benefit of the Sony) on the longer end.

In addtion, it's 5MP 2/3" CCD has larger photosites compared to other non-DSLR cameras, which can help dynamic range and noise.

This Sony isn't trying to process the noise out of the image as much as newer model either (which can smooth detail at higher ISO speeds with many other cameras).

So, just do it yourself with software if you want to shoot at ISO 800 with it (and you'd get shutter speeds as fast as shooting at ISO 1600 with most other models, because it's lens is twice as bright).

It's lens is also very well matched to the sensor. I can remember when the DSC-F717 was introduced, that both the original DSC-F707 and it's new replacement were both stilll unrivaled in image quality for a 5MP camera (testing them on resolution charts compared to other models that had been introduced up until then).

Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:09 PM   #18

It's a great camera, and I have to say, after using numerous cameras, the image quality and low noise levels of this camera is unrivaled.

Just that without IS, handheld pictures can blur a bit. I am still trying to find out how to increase the shutter speed.

Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:35 AM   #19

I am glad you did not give up and hade your camera repaired. I think you will not be dissapointed with your decision. here is a link for camera review and features.

On P exposure you can get a shutter speed of 1/2000.

Another advise is leave your white balance on auto, it works quite well unless your previus user changed it.

looking foward to viewing some pics in the future, and welcome to the F717 users.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 7:51 PM   #20

Thanks for the advice.

I think that it is amazing how the F717 can still beat newer cameras.

I tested my new Canon PowerShot G6, and its picture quality was still not as good as the F717.

I guess they just don't make cameras like they used to .....