Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:00 PM   #21

i used a 717 for ir shots. it was a very good camera! no problems what so ever,

for ir i used a hoya 72 and an nd 4/8 and shot in night mode.

note sunglasses became transparent. good camera ,

regards bob.
Attached Images

bomber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:04 PM   #22

and this
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:04 PM   #23

also
Attached Images

Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:40 AM   #24

I just purchased a Sony H5 on Tues, let me assure you it is not in the same ballpark as the F707-F717, the f2-f2.4 Vario-Sonnar lens on these 2 camera's is I believe the best, and probablynothing ever so goodwill be seen on a prosumer camera ever again.

Luckily I have only just over 3000 actuations on my F707, and as I am travelling to the Philippines and Thailand in 3 weeks do not want to risk it to theft as I have 2 friends have had their DSLR's snatched and stolen in the past 12 months, hence the H5 for this trip.

The fact that Sony built these magnificentmachines over 5 years ago, it is sad to see the finish and features missing in 2006, so the H5 becomes my general everday camera, and the F707 will be for my landscapes and very special occasions.

My shots from this great camera can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:06 AM   #25

Wirraway

your shots with the 707 are very good , hope you have a good time when you are away ,

will watch out for new posts, i have had a lot of fun with my 717 good camera ,

regards bob.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:35 PM   #26

Wirraway-

That is a very nice collection of F-717 photos. They are excellent and it brought back many nice memories of my F-717.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:14 PM   #27

I've owned f707, f717, and the R1. I still have the 717 and the R1. The 717 is my carry camera. I take it everywhere. Wouldn't give it up. I did have to have the factory recall on the sensor. They replaced it quickly.
donpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 7:41 AM   #28

Hi Don

Your R1 and 717 should be a good combo, I keep my eye on ebay for one of the "fixed" 717s but are like hen's teeth to find here in Australia, the 707 which I use does not have the same problem (touch wood), have not had a chance yet to try outmy H5, but from the reviews around the net itseems a decent camera.

The wife now wants her own compactcamera that she can carry in her bag, tossing up between the Fuji f30 and Sony W100, I think the Sony will win out with not bad ISO performance @ 800 plus a 30sec min shutterandvery good indaylight where the fuji falls down despite its excellenthigh ISO for low light photography.

Regards Ian

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:10 AM   #29

I love my 717...it is on its way to get a new ccd...have had it for 5 years and this is the first problem!!!!

Will keep my ear open if I know someone who wants to sell theirs.

Have an H1, bf has an H5, and I am looking at the alpha 100.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:03 PM   #30

I've got an F717 and it's the best of the 2 cameras i've ever owned in my life.
In fact, I left work early in 2003 to goto CircuitCity when they were clearing it out for $500 so that they could make room for the new $900 DSC-f828.
My only gripe with it right now is the lack of image stabilization that everyone else has going for them now. When I dial down the shutter speed and try night photography, I cant collect anything useful unless the camera is literally sitting on top of something stationary.
For example: http://www.sust.net/gallery2/main.ph...01490.JPG.html
Very frustrating and I refuse to tweak my cholinergics or lug around a tripod. Ideas?
Also, for those who have add-on lenses for the F717, did you get Sony lenses or something else? Were you satisfied with the purchase?

I've also recently run into the CCD problem I think, but I cant be sure. I took a video of my camera woes in my Cambodia Hotel room before bringing it back with me to the states so maybe you all can tell me what the problem is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bnr0UXTd3A

In either case, I shipped it off to Sony already so we'll know their diagnosis shortly.

sust is offline   Reply With Quote