Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:16 PM   #1

Has anyone used a UV or polarising filter on their H1. if so, is there anything i should i be aware of? I have just bought one of each & go on holiday on Monday. Would hate to ruin my shots.

Many Thanks In Advance

Robin
RobinChapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:39 PM   #2

Any filter can potentially ruin your shots if they are of poor quality (cheap uncoatedglass/plastic). Usually UV filters are good lens protectors and if nothing else, they should help youreduce/eliminate the haze on mountain/landscape shots. The bad thing is you have to have the adapter on all the time, which makes the H1 even bulkier to carry. I have the Promaster UV and the Hoya polarizer filters (both 58mm). With the polarizer you should be a little more careful not to under expose your pictures. The dark glass will bring your f/stop down about 1 1/3. I would not use the polarizer unless you are taking water shots and want to reduce reflection. I would also avoid too much stacking (several lens added together) for it can cause some vignetting (dark corners) specially in wide angle. And lastly, if you chose to have the polarizer on all the time, make sure you turn on the live histogram so you can have a good ideaof the exposure.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:15 AM   #3

i own a pana fz30 and i hve a uv filter. i have this filter on permntly. Indoors, outdoors lo light, hi light watever its on ther. not only does it provide excellent protection for the lense but according to my cam testing with unit on and off it doesnt make any diff to the exposure levels. Outdoors i see differneces in glare and hi light levels which is a big plus. I dont think you can go wrong with a uv filter.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have tested a polariser on my cam, and afer seeing it i have to own one soon. I found it added substantial improvements to contrast all round, but especially in thie mid tones. I also found the saturation to appear much more vibrant. And ofcourse the lack of reflection which isnt really a biggie for me. Ofcourse the polarisers performance varies in relation to the light source direction in order for it to work correclty.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"IMHO after a quick play arond with it i found it to be very surprising the effect it addded to an image. however i did feel tht the effect it added (disregarding the reflective feathreu) was nothing that i couldnt achieve using ps.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Finally i think its safe to use the uv filter. But unfortunately at this time i dont have ample experience with the polariser to make any solid recomendations

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:23 AM   #4

I keep a skylight filter on my H1 more or less permanently. Reason: I use the cameragenerally underconditions ofwindblown dirt, snow, etc. The adapter/filter goes a long way toward minimizing this "stuff" getting inside the camera and causing mischief. Also the filter catches the occasional errant fingerprint which mightotherwise land on thecamera'souter lens element.

Shooting withskylight filter does not seem to affect recorded image quality - at least that I can discern.

Only downside is the adapter makes the camera a bit bulkier. But my H1 replaces a long-nosed Olympus C2100UZso to me it's not an issue. Also the adapter must be removed for wide angle flash shots - otherwise a slim "half moon" shadow from the adapter appears at the bottom of the frame. ...FB
FarmallBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:23 PM   #5

I'm getting used to having the lens adapter on my H1 100% of the timewith a Promaster multi coated UV filter at the end. This is an awesome, great quality filter and it does help not only protecting the lens but eliminating haze as well. Yes, the camera is a bit bulkier with the adapter but I feel that I have a lot more stability. I've been using the EVF rather than the LCDand found that it improved the qualityof pictures taken with long zoom.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:59 PM   #6

I use the sony branded polarizing filter with my H1 and it works great. I love the results!
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:43 PM   #7

Hi eR1c, can you post some pictures taken with the Sony polarizer filter? I order the Tiffen PL for my H1 (much cheaper than the Sony brand). Also, how many f/stops do you loose w/ the PL? Thanks.