Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:11 AM   #1

Hi,Does anyone here own a Sony Hi8 camcorder? If so, I'd like to see an exemple of movie or image captured by the cam.¬*The thing is, I'v never seen what the Hi8 format looks like, and I wonder if this is the kind of camcorder you buy when you want to film your cousin's wedding, or if it,s "professional" enough to film short movies and/or details¬* of a landscapes for example. Does it look cheap everytime you make a move, and what about the zoom etc...Anyone who has these info and/or a¬* small mpeg or AVI or asf of a camera shoot with a Sony Hi8, I'd like to see it!Thanks for your help!Kim
AmieDeLaMarmotteEmpaillee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:08 AM   #2

hi8 is quite far down the sony food chain in reference to pic quality

I think the chain goes (now this is from memory from a sony seminar a while back)

First being lowest quality and last being highest:
Standard 8
Hi 8
Digital 8
Mini DV
DVD
HDD
HD Mini DV/ DVD/ HDD/ Blu Ray

are you buying a hi8 2nd hand?....... i havent seen a brand new hi 8 machine for about a year now. Mini dv would be the way to go. You will get 90mins a tape and better quality pic i would say. My bro in law has a pana 3ccd which recoreds dv and he does short films (huge files thogh) and pic quality is very good

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the answer Kenmck15,I'll keep that in mind and probably wont buy that hi8 camera. That sucks it was the only camera I could afford here (I'm in Switzerland until september). The thing is, even though if I'm pretty poor compare to the Swiss, I wanted to buy a camera so I could bring back videos of my trip. Of course when I go back to Canada I'de bring my camera with me¬*and use it there also. But the stores here offer only really expensive DV cams. I tried to buy one on Ebay but I got ripped off (the camera was broken) and now I only want to buy a cheap one somewhere in Switzerland, NEVER again on Ebay!!Well, anyway I'll just keep looking at the adds in the newspapres here and hope a crazy rich guy will sell his DV cam for 200$.Again, thanks for your answer Kenmck15Kim
AmieDeLaMarmotteEmpaillee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:30 PM   #4

no worries

hey im not saying tht the hi8 will not give you good results. the hi8 will giv you beta pic results than the likes of ur traditional handicams. being an analogue bsaed cam u wont get all the digital jaggies tht is common inthe cheaper dv and dvd cams. If you are playinh back on the likes of a std def crt tv the differneces between the hi8 ans dv will be minimal.

unfortunately i dont have any examples to show.

in reference to still pi quality i can assure u the qulaity is terrible. very very lo resolution. usually vga res (640*480)

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote