Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:40 AM   #1

I tried out a Sony R1 for a short while and I have a couple of questions. Under normal room (not too bright)flourescent light I find the LCD and EVF to be too dark and too dim, changing the shutter speed and iso rating and aperture doesn't help. Is there a setting I don't know about to rectify this? I love the image quality but I can't shoot what I can't see the refresh rate is also a tad slow.
Thanks in advance.
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:53 AM   #2

danielg wrote:
Quote:
I tried out a Sony R1 for a short while and I have a couple of questions. Under normal room (not too bright)flourescent light I find the LCD and EVF to be too dark and too dim, changing the shutter speed and iso rating and aperture doesn't help. Is there a setting I don't know about to rectify this? I love the image quality but I can't shoot what I can't see the refresh rate is also a tad slow.
Thanks in advance.
On the back of the camera you'll find the preview/framing switch. In framing mode the LCD image will not reflect the actual aperture and shutter speed as in preview mode but rather will brighten up the LCD image so as to help you frame.

cheers, nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:33 PM   #3

Oh Ok, thanks!! I hope that Sony or someone will come out with a way to allow Framing mode in Manual focus. Thanks again.

Have you tried shooting in a concert or a play with the R1? How did it perform there? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:35 PM   #4

danielg wrote:
Quote:
Oh Ok, thanks!! I hope that Sony or someone will come out with a way to allow Framing mode in Manual focus. Thanks again.

Have you tried shooting in a concert or a play with the R1? How did it perform there? Thanks in advance.
No, I haven't done concerts or plays yet. But I can imagine the lens might be a tad short/slow for such occasions?

BTW, a word of advice when focusing manually: zoom in completely, focus manually, and then zoom out to the desired focal distance. zooming in will make manual focus much easier and since the R1s lens apparently has a parfocal design you can then zoom out to any focal distance without losing focus...

cheers, nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:08 AM   #5

Cool! Thanks very much for your tips!!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:54 AM   #6

Here are two concerts with my R-1.

I was just a member of the audience and my vantage poin was not the best.

The step dancers were without flash.

IMHO these shots dispel many of the negative web comments regarding shutterlag, noise, focusing ability.

Irish Step Dancing,

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/1276760

Briuta Grunwald, Charlotte Ross Zand, Flushing Library:
http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/1334713
The R-1 is still growing on me. I am gaining confidence in what I see on the LCD/EVF.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 3:10 PM   #7

what settings were you using for the dancing shots?
jdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:24 PM   #8

I love to take photos indoors with R1 and extermal flash.
I have not found EVF or LCD to be dark or dim. When you set them in preview mode they show exactly what my eyes can see.
The only exception is when I shoot in full darkness. While your eyes cannot see anything, EVF shows composition because of AF red light flashes it up
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:27 AM   #9

I acquired an R1 recently, and also wanted to test it in a theater setting.

I took it to my daughters' dance competition last week and the R1 did a fine job. It was a typical situation where I was sitting in darkness shooting a well-lit stage. One challenge in this case was that the backdrop was black, so I had to rely on a narrow focus field and spot metering, and keep the camera centered on a moving dancer to get a decent exposure. The EVF is blurry when tracking moving targets but it's not impossible.

I worked in Program Auto mode, flash off, with the ISO 800 and 1600 since there was so much movement on stage. The shots at ISO 1600 are quite noisy but otherwise very good. ISO 800 is less noisy and worked well for performances where the dancers weren't moving at breakneck speed.

Overall I was pleased with the R1's perfomance in this setting. I'm looking forward to becoming more experienced with it.

TomS is offline   Reply With Quote