Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

The T30 looks like the first "T" with a decent flash. I can't wait to try this one out!
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:26 AM   #2

What I'm interested in this T30 is the low light performance without the flash. Could this be a model that has stylish and sleek looks of a great party camera and that also takes good pics in low light in parties? Could this be something that Fuji V10 was not stylistically?

I think it's a good idea to say that I do know that F30 is the ultimate party camera because of its low light performance without a flash but, people, the size isn't that of an optimal party cam's: F30 is a bit too big to be carried around even in a loose pocket without feelings of uncomfortability (especially when dancing).
JungleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:56 PM   #3

The only way you'll get non-blurry pics without a flash is by using ISO1000 which will make the pictures very grainy/noisy. The f3.5 lens will not be very good in low light without a flash.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:44 AM   #4

I am thinking about buying either the t9 or the new t30. Besides the megapixels, what are the major differences between the two? I read that the t30 is suppose to have this huge improvement on blurry images. Well doesn't the t9 have that as well. Something called image stabilization? Which is the better camera to buy?
shakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:30 PM   #5

It is hard to say whether the T30 will be superior to the T9 in limited light. Unless Sony has come up with better in-camera noise reduction the addition of ISO 1000 isn't going to help that much. The T30 has a higher pixel density which often increases noise. Only some good reviews will tell and it will probably be a couple of months before we get reviews.

The T9 has true optical stabilization and better than average ISO 400 performance. The combination should give decent limited light performance, but won't allow you to capture movement in low light without flash. Stabilization alone is about equal to ISO800 if your target isn't moving. Stabilization at ISO400 will give about the equivalent of ISO3200 without stabilization. Stabilization helps in low light by allowing you to handhold at much lower shutter speeds. Lower shutter speeds will cause anything moving to blur. I do fine in limited light with stabilization but sometimes depend on burst mode to hit moments of null movement. Neither of the Sonys have a decent burst mode.

Both the T9 and T30 have an aperture advantage over most small cameras when you zoom, and that is where you have the most problems. A stronger flash would be a big advantage.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:16 PM   #6

I have found the T30 to be excellent in low light, far far superior to my Canon A80 (with a 4MP 1/1.8 image sensor).

The optical image stabilization makes a dramatic difference, and allows great handheld shots 99% of the time at 1/10 or lower, and you can even pull off a sharp shot at 1" maybe every 2nd or 3rd time. Just try that without stabilization. Noise at ISO400 seems quite low, especially for a 7 MP camera. Over ISO 400 is definitely noisy, but at least the option is there if needed. The stabilization works so well you will sometimes find you have a razor-sharp background and a subject suffering from motion blur (not the camera's fault!).

The flash is notably stronger than the T9's. The flashbulb on the front of the camera is twice the size so this isn't a surprise.Do those who complain about the flash being weak know that you can increase the flash output in the shooting menu? Actually, I usually shoot with the flash set to decreased output, which I find results in fewer blown-out shots and richer colors.

In response to "Neither of the Sonys have a decent burst mode", I have to disagree. For continuous bursts of super-high res images, they aren't great (about 1.2 fps). But if 1 MP is enough, and 16 frames is enough, then they have a great multi-burst mode which shoots at 8, 16, or 30 fps (yes 30 fps), capturing 16, 1 MP images. I guess that the question of whether they have a "decent burst mode" depends entirely on what specifically you want it to do.
macboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:53 AM   #7

macboy wrote:
Quote:
I have found the T30 to be excellent in low light, far far superior to my Canon A80 (with a 4MP 1/1.8 image sensor).

The optical image stabilization makes a dramatic difference, and allows great handheld shots 99% of the time at 1/10 or lower, and you can even pull off a sharp shot at 1" maybe every 2nd or 3rd time. Just try that without stabilization. Noise at ISO400 seems quite low, especially for a 7 MP camera. Over ISO 400 is definitely noisy, but at least the option is there if needed. The stabilization works so well you will sometimes find you have a razor-sharp background and a subject suffering from motion blur (not the camera's fault!).

The flash is notably stronger than the T9's. The flashbulb on the front of the camera is twice the size so this isn't a surprise.Do those who complain about the flash being weak know that you can increase the flash output in the shooting menu? Actually, I usually shoot with the flash set to decreased output, which I find results in fewer blown-out shots and richer colors.

In response to "Neither of the Sonys have a decent burst mode", I have to disagree. For continuous bursts of super-high res images, they aren't great (about 1.2 fps). But if 1 MP is enough, and 16 frames is enough, then they have a great multi-burst mode which shoots at 8, 16, or 30 fps (yes 30 fps), capturing 16, 1 MP images. I guess that the question of whether they have a "decent burst mode" depends entirely on what specifically you want it to do.
How long have you own the T30? Do you get accurate battery level readings till the batter needs to be charged again? Has it ever suddenly shutdown between charges?

I ask those questions because I returned my DSC-H5 yesterday night. Because it had the nasty habbit of suddenly shutting itself down. I think twice after only shooting roughly 5 shots! First time I had Panasonic Oxyride batteries inside and the second time the supplied Sony NiMH. This really pissed me off!

I do like the T30/T9's slim appearance and huge internal memory. A camera you can carry any where you go. Slip it into your jacket pocket. I just wonder about their reliability so far.

Any one is welcome to comment of course. Preferably from T30/T9 owners though.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:10 AM   #8

Well I still haven't figured out which to buy T9/t30 or Canon SD630. I got mixed reviews of both. It would be nice to get a pole going to find out which most people would choose and why?
shakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:01 AM   #9

I wound up getting a T30 because I was looking for something pocketable with IS. While the difference between the t9 and t30 seem subtle, with comparable sensor noise between them, I didn't think that I'd regret going for the higher MP sensor.* The SD630 seems sweet, but I had my heart set on something with IS because I like to avoid using flash whenever possible. I love the T-30 and haven't been disappointed.* Small size, great battery life and excellent macro mode has made it a lot of fun to play with.*
bartleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:09 AM   #10

bartleby wrote:
Quote:
I wound up getting a T30 because I was looking for something pocketable with IS. While the difference between the t9 and t30 seem subtle, with comparable sensor noise between them, I didn't think that I'd regret going for the higher MP sensor.� The SD630 seems sweet, but I had my heart set on something with IS because I like to avoid using flash whenever possible. I love the T-30 and haven't been disappointed.� Small size, great battery life and excellent macro mode has made it a lot of fun to play with.�
Hello bartleby,

Congrats on the new T30! When did you pick it up?

You mention "great battery life". How many shots do you get per charge on average? Do you find the battery power indicator accurate as they claim? And no sudden shutdowns (had to ask...had that problem with my H5...planning to give the H5 a second chance...will buy another later)?

Am considering the T30 instead of getting a second H5. With the H5 I have to live with a useless battery power display. Can't rely on it at all as I've read in other forums and threads. Especially since it uses NiMH batteries. But I do know it can shoot great pics and has a 12x optical zoom which I would have liked. But having an accurate battery readout is very important to me. So it looks like the T30 will be my next choice.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote