Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

After a lot of soul searching I had decided to buy a Sony DSC H1. Then I saw that they are bringing out 2 new models (H2/H5). The main difference being a Carl Zeiss lens, smaller screen,extra stabilization and higher sensitivity setting. I would like to buy my camera as soon as possible. Can anyone tell me how good the H1 is and are the extras worth waiting for? The H1 is available for about £238, so £50 difference in price. Thanks
SUPERSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:32 PM   #2

Get the H1 at a close out price. WalMart has them for $349 and that's a steal. If you look around maybe even cheaper. A lot of camera for that price. Large LCD is great and the lens is second to none.

The changes in the H2 H5 don't appeal to me and they now take Memory Stick (MUNCHKIN) Duo so the sticks I have won't work.
subeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:27 PM   #3

The biggest advantage of H2 and H5 over H1 is that we can use optical zoom during movie recording. some other advantages are

1. Carl Zesiss Lens
2. Battery life extended
3. Flash Range Doubled
4. Enhanced ISO Sensitivity upto 1000
5. Pixel doubled in EVF
6. Supplied software changed Picture Package to Cybershot 1.0

You can check detail on
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...h=n32090n32091
goldy_bansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:10 PM   #4

If you can wait a week or two and have a friend in the US you can call on - Dell Home has them til tomorrow for something like $244 after a few coupons. I couldn't say no at that price and now need to decide if I want to keep my W7 or go with it.

Z
ZachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:49 AM   #5

Hello,

I'm a french newbie from london, so please be cool with me cause i' don't speak a fairly english. :-)

Just 1 thing:

I'm not sure that the H2 is able to zoom during the movie recrding...

Are you sure?

I'm like SUPERSAINT. I really want to buy the H1 or H2. I prefer the H1 for the big screen, but check this out:
Quote:
Other than the size of the H2 LCD, I think the pixel count is misunderstood. Here is a repeat of a post reply I had submitted to previous thread:

"There seems to be a misunderstanding on the LCD's of the H2 snd H5. One would get the impression that the H5 with 230,000 pixels is twice as good as the H1 and that the H2 is not as good with 85,000 pixels....NOT TRUE!

H1, 115,000 pixels, 2.5 in.(diagonal) screen (2.0 in. x 1.5 in.) or 3.0 sq in = 38,333 pixels/sq in.

H2, 85,000 pixels, 2.0 in (diagonal) screen (1.6 in. x 1.2 in.) or 1.92 sq in = 44,270 pixels/sq in.

H5, 230,000 pixels, 3.0 in.(diagonal) screen (2.4 in. x 1.8 in.) or 4.32 sq in. = 53,240 pixels/sq in.

Other than the smaller screen size, the H2 pixel density is 15% greater than the H1 thus should have a better appearing image.

Likewise, the H5 pixel density is just 39% (not twice) greater than the H1 which is still a very significant improvement along with the larger screen size."
So, what do you think? However the screen of the H1 is really bigger than the H2....
napalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:38 PM   #6

I have chosen H1
You can buy it NOW for $ 280 or may be less in compare with $ 400 for H2

I think all improvements made by Sony on H2 do not worth $100.
Most important for me CCD size is still the same. I would expect from SONY 1/1.8 CCD for money they ask.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:49 PM   #7

napalmia wrote:
Quote:
Just 1 thing:

Are you sure?

The Sonystyle website says it can.

Also if you download the H2 and H5 read this first pdf , it mentions that while shooting a movie the zoom controls are locked to zoom slowly, in contrast to normal zooming where pressing the rocker button fully changes from slow zoom to fast zoom.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:42 AM   #8

Sample taken with H2, ISO 800, Shutterspeed 1/25, clear noise with neat image and resize.
Attached Images

armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:47 AM   #9

napalmia wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure?
I had try it in the store, confirm during movie recording can do optical zoom
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:22 PM   #10

I have a hard time believing that the H2 is so much better than the H1. The H5, yes. It has some improvements over the H1 but the h2...not.

Here isa variety of shots taken with my H1. I doubt the H2 could have done a much better job!

#1 Bubble
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote