Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:23 AM   #11

Quote:
I have actually been more impressed w/ the Raynox lenses
You were?... I was hoping to hear that.

So maybe I can afford the new lens with the change I got for my wallet thinning tripod.

I will read your review, thanks!!!!

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:52 PM   #12

Yes, I've purchased two Raynox lenses (one for my H1 and one for another camera)..both were of excellent quality and worked as expected.

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:41 AM   #13

I need to asktwo questions that are baffling me.

Why doesn't the H1 just have a wider lens to start with....is it so we spend more money on the upgrade later?

Can we still get full zoom capabilitywith any other lens including the wide angle lens attached?.... if not then why?.... is it because the zoom will hit the new lens that is screwed on to the H1?

Thanks

Old May 1, 2006, 3:13 PM   #14

Basically the wide angle is focused (or made) for getting everything in a closer view as well as the perriferal area ...in short, a "wide angle" is what it's best for.

A zoom lens focuses on subjects at far distances, but not good at getting all the information from a wide area ...it's a concentrated point that it focuses on.

A macro lens focuses on the super close subject.

One lens that does all three is going to be what comes w/ most cameras. It does everything decently but not any one really well.

hence why many of us like to buy additional lenses, for extreme cases where you want to get a photo of an entire room (wide angle), or a super closeup of a flower or bee (macro)...

Old May 1, 2006, 3:22 PM   #15

Thanks fot that, but is there any reason why I cant still get full zoom with the wide angle attatched?
Old May 1, 2006, 9:16 PM   #16

yes, it's because the wide angle is made for capturing from a wide angle, it uses a completely different set of lens elements than a zoom lens does.

It's like putting on near sighted glasses versus farsighted glasses.. you can't have one that does both really really well. it's either or,

a zoom lens is made to focus at farther distances, whereas a wide angle is made to not zoom at all rather to capture wide angles.

w/ my Raynox lens I can only zoom in a little bit... 2x zoom that's it. It would probably begin to distort and be out of focus if Sony allowed the lens to zoom more than that. -It's because of the glass optics.
Old May 2, 2006, 4:33 AM   #17

Thanks eR1c

Youmake it all sound so simple, but I do like to have a clear understandingthese things before I use them.
Old May 2, 2006, 9:08 AM   #18

Shane wrought:

Youmake it all sound so simple, but I do like to have a clear understandingthese things before I use them

Shane, I appreciate you desire to learn more about optics and its implementations.
The best place for it is a library.
Good luck in your endeavor.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 11:14 AM   #19

I have an H1 and I've been researching the wide-angles for weeks. A couple of days ago I finally made up my mind and bought the Raynox DCR 6600PRO. I have the Sony DH1758 1.7x tele converter and find it to be an awesome lens. However, the WA is not nearly as good (from the many, many reviews I've read and sample pictures I've seen). Raynox has two models that are (apparently) identical in terms of lens construction: HD 6600pro and the DCR 6600PRO. The differences between them are:

DCR =it has a removable (and thicker)mounting thread; it's lighter; it comes in 52mm mount size only (at least I haven't been able to find it in any other size); cheaper

HD = fixed mounting thread (shorter); heavier; it cames in many sizes; more expensive

The good thing about the H1 is that one can use a step down ring (58-52) without experiencing any vignetting. Since the HD 58mm version does not mount well on the H1 unless the original H1 lens adapter is used (which it is not my case), I opted for the DCR version. I haven't received it yet but I'll post some samples as soon as I get my hands on it.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:15 PM   #20

Tullio, the problem is Shane wants lens with wide range of focus let's say from 18mm to 240mm and because Shane really wants them very mutch we have to explain him why such a lens does not exist.
Trust me, it is not easy
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote