Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 3, 2006, 8:35 PM   #21

It isn't easy to explain, but once you get it you get it!

Maybe this will help a bit more:

A camera lens is actually made up of several glass lenses.
Moving these glass lenses closer and/or farther from each other gives a different focus. It's like looking through a magnifying glass, this is only one lense, -but have you ever noticed how you have to move it closer or farther from a subject to get the image inside the magnifying lense into focus? This is the same principle with focusing the glass elements inside your camera lense.

does this make sense?

Now, the curve of the lense, -or how it is designed will give a different effect.

So, with all that, you have manufacturers who have crafted lenses to focus at objects that are really close, really far, and inbetween. One lense hasn't been invented that I know of that does all three things really well. Most likely for this to occur the actuall glass elements inside the lense would have to change shape as they focused/moved closer and farther from each other.

if you still don't get it, then I'd suggest getting some photography books from the library with nice diagrams that explain all of this. (as was mentioned)

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 6:56 AM   #22

That makes perfect sense eR1c, thank you.

and thanksfor the other comments from people too.

Now to choose the lens that most suits my needs
5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 2:02 AM   #23

I received my Raynox DCR 6600PRO and I must say...it's an impressive WA lens. But, the first thing you need to haveis the Raynox 52mm adapter (RT5256H). W/o this adapter, you will experience strong vignetting. I have a short58mm adapter + the original Sony 58mm adapter that comes with the H1 and both presented the same exact problem. However, with the Raynox 52mm adapter there is absolutely NO vignetting. You can not use filters either or vignetting will be present (I bought the UV and Polarizer 72mm filters before receiving the lens and now I have to try to return them). Now, what is very impressive about this lens is the sharpness and low distortion produced by it. While most WA adapters show significant barrel distortion (visible primarily on photos of tall buildings, lampposts and anything else that has strong straight lines), the Raynox is virtually distortion free and that is priceless (not sure this word really applies since I paid only $99). There is also the new Raynox model HD 6600PRO58, which in theory is the same lens but with a 58mm mount. Please note the use of the word "theory". This is because the DCR and HD lens are not quite the same (beside the thread size, of course). The bottom lens of the58mm version sticks out beyond the thread level and in order for it to fit properly, I've read people adding adapter rings andglassless filter rings tocreate the space needed to prevent the H1 lens to jam against theWA.I've also read that the DCR lens produces sharper images. Those were the two primary reasons I decide in favor of the DCR and I'm glad I did so.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 8:33 AM   #24

Thanks forthat wonderfully detailed reply. Of which most of It I understood :-).

I know you said there was no vignetting (I still need to look up that word as well), but the image on this site showsvignetting.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/comparison/d...htm#dcr6600pro

Although in all honesty, unless your looking for it, who the hell would even notice?

Thanks

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 4:36 PM   #25

Yesterday I wentwith my son on a school field trip and for the first time Iwas able to take many outdoorpictures with the Raynox DCR 6600PRO WA lensattached to my H1. As I mentioned, I'm using the Raynox 52mm adapter with it. Here are some shots taken with it. Note that barrel distortion is almost non-existent, color saturation is good and...no vignetting. These photos were taken at thelong range of the zoom.
Attached Images

Old May 19, 2006, 4:37 PM   #26

Attached Images

Old May 19, 2006, 4:37 PM   #27

Attached Images

Old May 19, 2006, 4:38 PM   #28

Attached Images

Old May 19, 2006, 4:38 PM   #29