Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 22, 2006, 4:51 AM   #31

Very nice, especially #3 I thought.

I bet once you fit the lens you never want to remove it!

I am very disappointed with London Camera Exchange!!

1/all there products cost £10+ more than any other shop iv ever been in.

2/they fobbed me off with a useless overpricedtripod http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=73

3/ They tell me to avoid any other lens's for the H1except Sony's own brand.

Thanks Tullio, you have made my mind up

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:00 AM   #32

I have the Sony 1.7x tele converter and it's an excellent lens. However, the WA is not nearly as good, not because of the image quality it produces but the amount of barrel distortion evident in every single shot (even outdoor shots in the wide open, which usually mask this effect). You can't go wrong with the Raynox and for the H1, even though you already have the 58mm adapter (it comes with the camera), I suggest you buy the DCR-6600PRO model, whichhas a 52mm thread and the Raynox 52mm adapter. You'd be better off than buying the HD-6600PRO58, which although it appears to be the same exact lens but with a 58mm thread, it is not, really.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:52 AM   #33

Great thanks.

How did you decide on the size of lens?

Old May 22, 2006, 12:51 PM   #34

I've read about some of the issues at lensmateonline.com as well as lots of people's comments about the tricks they had to put in place to make the 58mm lens work well with the camera. Besides, I also read people saying that the DCR lensproduced sharper images than the HD version. Those were the reasons that made me buy the DCR 6600PRO instead of the HD 6600PRO58.So, I now use the 52mm adapter all the time. I bought a step up ring (52mm to 58mm) so I can use the filters and the teleconverter I havewithout having to switch adapters all the time. It works real good.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:01 PM   #35

It looks like you have done all the homework and saved anyone including me the work involved infinding out which of the wide angle Lens is right for this camera.

Sorry but I have a couple more newbie questions:

Will the extra dimensions be visible on the LCD monitor?

Will I know when I have zoomed to the max with this lens connected? That is to say "will the barrel (for want of a better word) hit the wide angle lens if zoomed too far, or do I have todecide for myself when I have reached the max zoom capability for the attached lens"?

I am sure that's all I need to know b4 I commit to buy.

Thanks

Old May 24, 2006, 4:26 PM   #36

As long as you use the Raynox 52mm adapter with no filters, you will not experience any vignettingon either range of the zoom. One of the options under theH1setup 2 menu isto select an adapter in case you are using one.By choosing the appropriate setting (WA or tele), you tell the camera to adjust the focal length based of the converter in use, so it will not let you take picturesfrom distances the camera can't focus.
Old May 25, 2006, 4:10 AM   #37

Excellent and im guessing that although the zoom will still extend fully, the WA lens attachedwill mean thatmaximum zoom will be dissipated by the WA lens.

and so the full zoom range will not be available.

Old May 25, 2006, 12:49 PM   #38

The primary use of aWA converter isto increase field of view. It does not make sense to use 12x zoom with this lens (even if you could). The more you zoom in, the less WA effect you get. This adapter should be used to take landscapepictures or pictures of objects located in small, confinedareas, impossible to be captured bythe normal 36mm lens. If you are taking landscapepictures and you have the need to zoom in, it defeats the purpose of having the WA. You'd be much better off using the normal camera lens with the zoom. I did not think I needed the WA adapter as much until I got it. As it turns out, Iuse it all the time, even more so than the tele. For $100, I say go ahead and buy it. You will not regret.
Old May 25, 2006, 10:24 PM   #39

exactly, -seems odd to use the zoom w/ the wide angle ... unless your going for some specific technique or shot?

i too use my wide angle lens as much as the lens that is built into the camera.
-it's proved to be a very useful and wise purchase!

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 2:57 AM   #40

Absolutely. I sometimes use the WA and macro mode combined but never WA and zoom.