Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:11 AM   #1

Sony DSC H1

Can anyone suggest a good value wide lens for this camera? (cheep and good if possible)

Perhaps there are many sizes to choose from, but as my understanding is limited, perhaps I can rely your judgement.

I am guessing I would want this lens when I want to take more scenic shots.

Here is the dumbest part of my question:

Can you still use the zoom with this lens attached?.. If so, why not just make the camera wide angle to start with?

Thanks

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:06 AM   #2

This must be a joke http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...635335-5195964

£110!!!, plus the reviewer says it leaves a shadow on photos taken using the flash.

I guess being Sony it was bound to be a rip off, but please if any of you can suggest a good one without the shadows and not silly money, plus answer my previous questions

Thank you

Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:21 AM   #3

EEP my questions are building up :-)

Are these any good? http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/h1/index.htm

Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:34 AM   #4

London Camera Exchange told me to only go for the Sony one's as they are specifically designed for my camera, and ANY other manufactures lens's could deteriorate the photo's, especially with digital cameras that are now so sensitive. Sigh.

Incidentally, London Camera Exchange don't sell the Sony ones, in caseyou thought they were trying to get a sale out of me.

The chap also told me raynox are rubbish.

Anyone alive out there withsome answers to all my Q's?

Cheers

Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:09 PM   #5

I received the wide angle and tele lenses from Sony today and will use over the weekend - I like you, was looking for alternatives, but these lenses are specifically designed for the H1 hence the reason I bought them £185 for both - I'm a novice at the camera game but I'll take some shots at the weekend and post and give you some feedback
fraser36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:58 PM   #6

5hane wrote:
Quote:
This must be a joke http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...635335-5195964

£110!!!, plus the reviewer says it leaves a shadow on photos taken using the flash.

I guess being Sony it was bound to be a rip off, but please if any of you can suggest a good one without the shadows and not silly money, plus answer my previous questions

Thank you

Well obviously it leavesa shadow on photos taken with the flash when the subjects are too close for example taking picturesof a typical room.

The light from the flash(which is only slightyraised above the camera)travels outwards and down and hits the large solid thing sticking on the front of the camera (thats the wide angle lens..)

Being as solid objects block light , a fundamental property of physics, the lower part of the picture is thus in shadow.

Options.

Light room better and don't use flash

Bounce/direct the H1s flash sidewards to a slave flash to light the room.

Bounce/direct the H1s flash upwards off a white ceiling for example, probably have to use the flash on + for the loss in power caused by the bounce.

Stand further back from the subject and crop the bottom of the photo to removeany shadow.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:01 PM   #7

Thanks fraser36, I look forward to seeing the results!! oh and please let me know which wide angle lens you are using, as im not sure which would be my best bet out of the Sony selection.

and thanksSintares, I suppose I have to wonder just how often I would want the flash to fire anyway, after all I think I will probably only use the wide angle lense in no flash situations,... mostly.

Sorry to ask but can I still use 12xzoom?, if not what happens when I try zooming??

Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:35 PM   #8

you guys really need to search these forums before you post a new thread, I find like 5 threads on the same subject...these forums are a mess!!!

anyway, here is a great wideangle lens review:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:17 PM   #9

Thanks eR1c

Search facilty could do with some improving then.

I spent my money on a tripod in the end, I think that was a more important purchase after trying to take photos of Brighton by night and getting nothing but artistic blured images :-)

Old Apr 21, 2006, 5:49 PM   #10

no worries,

I do love my wide angle lens though,

I found that many people felt strongly about getting only a Sony branded lens, -I have actually been more impressed w/ the Raynox lenses for their price and quality than I have w/ the Sony ones... just my 2 cents,

(you can read my review on the lens)
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote