Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 3, 2006, 12:49 AM   #11

The only time I get blurry pictures with my T9 is when I take pictures of moving objects without a flash, such as my dog. The colors seem very accurate, alot better than my old T1. The flash seems to be alot better on the T9 than the T1, but still causes alot of red-eye.

Everyone will have their opinion on which camera they like best, but I chose the T9 over the T30 because the images seem less noisy and it was cheaper. I'm very happy with my T9 and as long as the LCD doesn't get broken like it did on my T1, I think I'll have it for a very long time.
kimberly175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:51 AM   #12

Here are the main differences that I have been able to learn, mostly by reading the user manuals:

Megapixels: T30 shoots in 7M, 5M, 3M, 2M, VGA, 16x9. T9 shoots in 6M, 3M, 1M, VGA, 16x9. (16x9 is 1920x1080 for HDTV). The T30 has a better selection of useful resolutions.

Movie mode: T30 can zoom in movie mode while filming, butthe T9 can not. Both can do 640x480 at 30 fps, with steadyshot, which makes movie mode actually useful.

Battery life: approximately doubled for the T30 over the T9.

Editting: [updated] Both the T30 and T9 can crop pictures, re-size to a lower resolution and rotate.

LCD: 3.0" for the T30 vs. 2.5" for the T9 (both 230k pixels). It may not seem like much difference, but it is 44% bigger.

Size and weight: The T30 is both bigger (95 mm x 56.5 mm x 23.3 mm thick vs. 90 mm x 55 x 20.6 mm thick) and heavier (168 g vs 159 g).

Bottom line: I bought the T9 last week and I am very impressed with it overall, especially the amazing SteadyShot, but I will be returning it and buying a T30 as soon as I can get my hands on one.
macboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:24 PM   #13

Reading all the differences you stated what would be your main reasons for returning the t9 and getting the t30? Is it more of a physical thing or some new or improved features. Doesn't the t9 take good pictures and doesn't have most of the important features of the t30 like image stabalization and anti blurr.
shakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:45 PM   #14

I am mostly after the vastly improved battery life. The 7 vs 6 MP is not a concern. I do like the bigger LCD and the ability to zoom in movie mode. You are right though, the T9 has almost all the same features as the T30.
Old May 4, 2006, 4:57 PM   #15

i wouldnt recommend you any of those two.

chech this review :http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=2673

for sony t-9.

it says that :One unexpected abnormality I noticed while using the camera is that the flash, possibly due to the close proximity to the lens, often illuminates floating dust particles, which can ruin your shots. Often, white spots, most likely particles of dust floating by the lens appear in the picture. These spots were present in many of my pictures taken with the flash. I found this very disappointing.

here is what he means : http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/5259.jpg

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/5262.jpg

i am an owner of the sony t5 and i too have the same probl

so why to bother buying it?

i forgot to mention that my sony center says that this is absolutly normal.!!!!

so i paid 350 euros to take pictures with dust that are not worth printing.

so why to bother buying it?

akismei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 9:11 PM   #16

OK, so I bought a T30 today, and tomorrow the T9 goes back to the Sony Store. It was a fun couple weeks with the T9 but the T30 is the keeper.

I chose the T30 for its bigger screen, much much better battery life, and the ability to zoom in movie mode, which I actually intend to use a lot.

Other differences:
The T30 is notably larger than the T9. The specs indicate a mm or two here and there, but the difference is definitely not lost when you see the two side by side. The battery in the T30 is much bigger (thicker), so I suppose that had something to do with it.

The T30 has a feature called "Function Guide" which displays much more useful information on the screen when you are adjusting camera parameters, like shooting mode, flash mode, etc. It really is useful, especially for the wife/girlfriend who will use the camera, but will not have studied the manual.

The T30 is notably faster as well: you can flip through pictures much more quickly, t transferring to the computer is faster too (6.75 MB/s vs 4.75 MB/s for the T9, with the same Sandisk stick).

The T30's controls are smaller, due to the lack of space next to that huge LCD. The T9's controls are a little easier to use purely by feel, without hitting the wrong button.

Both are great cameras, but the T30 is my choice.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:01 PM   #17

Great comparison but what about comparing the most important thing, image quality. How are the images in different environment, sunny, dark, indoor, outdoor, moving? Does the t30 have less blurriness and ghostly images than the t9. The reason i ask is that the t9 is about $150 less, and if there isn't alot of improvent in the images quality I can overlook the other minor improvements like MP and screen size.
shakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 9:40 AM   #18

So far my impression with image quality is that they are about the same. Given that the T30 is capable of higher ISO (1000 vs 640) it should be able to do a little better in low light without a flash, but how much better remains to be seen. Sony literature boasts: "Sony Clear RAW NR original algorithm system reduces colour and luminance noise, enabling shooting with significantly higher sensitivity (up to ISO1000)." Hopefully this will help reduce the noise associated with high ISO enough to make ISO 1000 actually usable. But we all know that you have to take marketting claims with a grain of salt. Consider this one: "This is Sonys first T-series model to feature selectable color modes. Choose natural mode for subtle color variations or vivid mode for more intense colors, depending on how you want to preserve the mood from your night on the town.". All that they did was remove the "saturation" menu itemand added "natural" and "vivid" to the list of effects (previously only B&W and Sepia). The result is the same; nothing was added,but the marketting department can claim a new feature.
Old May 10, 2006, 12:56 PM   #19

shakim wrote:
Quote:
Great comparison but what about comparing the most important thing, image quality. How are the images in different environment, sunny, dark, indoor, outdoor, moving? Does the t30 have less blurriness and ghostly images than the t9. The reason i ask is that the t9 is about $150 less, and if there isn't alot of improvent in the images quality I can overlook the other minor improvements like MP and screen size.
You have complained about blur in most of Sony T series cameras, (something 99% of users do not experiance) I suggest you buy something with a much wider aperture range and something physically more substantial to counteract that problem.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 6:31 AM   #20

The atrocious red eye problem on the Sony T9 due to lens and flash proximity can be a real annoyance. Do you find the problem is any better with the T30 ? :?

Considering buying the T9 OR T30, I do prefer the sleeker T9 unless the T30 has overcome to any large extent the red eye problem.
samcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote