Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:56 PM   #1

Hi New member.

I have a second hand camera, but did not come with USB cable, manual book and software CD.

My main problem here is Id like to know the USB cable make, name, model, im not too savvy on computer things.

I find im spending way too much on getting my pictures put onto CD at Chemists and photo shops.

Please help.

If there is a place on the net where I can buy such a cable, please let me know.

Thanks

Damsal in distress (NZ)

Miss_LaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:38 PM   #2

Might just beeasier to buy a $5 card reader from ebay and use that to download your photos from thememory sticks/compact flash card.

However a quick search on the SonyStyle website, reveals a VMC-14UMB2 4.5" USB Extension Cable, Standard USB connector, standard 5 pin (Type A standard connector to Type B mini connector from main model), its US$20 .

Rightclick andSave Target As on this link to get the manual in pdf format..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...;append-uid=no
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast response, have been on other forums, and they are dead, no comments at all.....

This card reader you are talking about, not sure what they do do apart from you can put your digital memory card into it.

At the moment Im on a site called trade me (online auction site), and Im on a watch list for a card reader, but not sure what im looking at let alone its the right one i need and if Im getting it for the right price....

Click on Icon to visit each one im looking at

:| :blah::?

Any help with these will be most appreciated thanks.

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:24 PM   #4

A memory card reader simply saves you the bother of needing cables to connect various cameras to your computer to transfer photos across.

A good reader that can read/write the various formats used today ie memory stick, compact flash, mmc/sd etc can thus cater for a range of cameras, pdas,etc all without needing drivers for each device to be installed on the computer and without you having to dig out cables for each device to be connected.

So if a friend for example brings a camera over and wants to show you the pics she has taken you can simply remove her card and place in the reader without having to worry about connecting her camera or installing its drivers.

I would go for a fast reader so any of the readers saying usb 2.0 connection , it would be backwards compatible with a 1.1 (slower) connection in case your computer has the slower usb sockets.

At worst get one with support for compact flash/microdrive and memory stick/pro memory stick duo plus MMC and Secure Digital , any other formats would be a bonus.

Compact flash / microdrive and secure digital are probably the most widely used cards, memory sticks/memory stick duos are used in Sony equipment (high end Sonys typically have compact flash sockets as well) , Smartmedia is an older style used by older Olympuscameras and xD cards are the new standard for Olympus cameras.

Don't pay too much for one , my 12in 1 only cost £10(gbp) = $28(nzd) and that included shipping to the Uk from Singapore! If the bidding gets too fierce just bide your time, others will come along at a good price.

Have a look at ebay.com, didn't see anything useful on the ebay NZ site, but if you look at the main American site you can find 25in1 card readers shipped anywhere in the world for $15-$20 (thats $US) and that includes postage from HongKong or Singapore.

You could also check out local stores, you see local small hardware / grocery / supermarketsselling card readers these days.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:21 PM   #5

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I won an auction before I saw your post, think this is what you were saying in your post... these are the specs.

** This auction is for a BRAND NEW 12-in-1 USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader and Writer **

http://www.nzoab.info
12 Month NZ warranty

Transfer files from digital cameras, video camcorders, PDAs, or MP3 players with this 12-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader and Writer.
Its compact size and USB connectivity make it convenient to carry wherever you go.

It supports a variety of flash cards and is compatible with Windows and Macintosh systems!

NO drivers required for use on Windows ME/2000/XP or MAC OS 9 and up
Windows 98 drivers available for download or on CD on request.

Retail Blister Pack Includes:
- 12-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader and Writer
- USB cable

Features:
- USB 2.0 interface (Backwards compatible so works in 1.1 also)
- Slot read and write function
- Power/Activity/Card LED indicators
- LED indicator light
- Plug and Play
- Hot Swappable
- USB bus powered
- Windows and Macintosh compatible
- Compact and portable

Supported Media:
- CompactFlash Type I/II
- Microdrive
- Multimedia
- RS-MMC*
- Smart Media card
- Memory Stick
- Memory Stick Pro
- Memory Stick Duo*
- Memory Stick Pro Duo*
- Secure Digital
- SD Mini*
- Photo memory card with extremely mini size

Dimensions:
- 0.5 x 3.5 x 2.5-inches (H x W x D)

I got this for

Price:
$24.95

Shipping:
$6.00 nationwide courier (+$3.50 Rural Delivery)

so all up was $30.95 (NZ), think thats ok, what about you.

Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:15 AM   #6

Yes , seems a good deal.

Good luck with the camera!

If I had the moneyI would love to have a F828 , its a classic camera.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:05 AM   #7

Hi, thanks for your response,

Also thanks for the PDF manual for the F828, there is so much i never knew about this camera, and im having a ball with it.

Have been reading the forums, and thought this camera was not on the popular list, as its hardly mentioned.

If there is any tips and tricks to this camera, it would good to start a new message, as this would help newbies to the F828.

again thanks for all your help with everything. :G
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:06 PM   #8

That manual is ab fab.

I have learnt all about night shots and night framing.

Oh to think all those night time shots I have missed cause of being too dark or too many lights...

[align=center][img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0aAAAAMccFjwbfdiRPAdqlUdQCQkGFsQyrGBKszRNEqzgzacQz atMhL*hfksvANz!KFZgBr2jcO0dIiJikNZq0tqYBDSqTdDU6QY JBJY*zYYZ2w535kiOp2Zz!VCMS1aTdkQlsxs3Ty2z1J4q*CUJZ gAAAAAAAAAA/NightShot200x200.jpg?dc=4675570077895304207[/img][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]This is a picture of the doll in my room, it was pitch black, but this is how it came out, I used no programs to enhance or anything, this is straight from camera to here, apart from the cropping size of course.[/align]

[align=left]There was no guess work to figure out where the subject was, cause you can see it on the LCD screen, im loving this camera more everyday.[/align]