Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:03 PM   #1

Sony support says H1 firmware is SLOW. It takes minutes per picture to transfer via USB to my PC; DSC-P10 takes 1 or 2 seconds per picture. If enough people complain, Sony may provude an upgrade. Please COMPLAIN at http://esupport.sony.com
Older Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:54 PM   #2

I will not complain.
I can compare H1 and R1 (I have both) and I do not see any noticeable difference in transfer rate.
Since H1 makes smaller files than R1 speed probably even higher.
I did not have and do not have reason to make research about Mbt/sec for each camera because I use different types of memory cards and just because I have no desire.
100 shots in 4 minutes is very decent from my point.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 11:34 AM   #3

In my 7mos. of H1 ownership I haven'tused the cameras internal memory all that oftensince I have memory sticks and a card reader.The few times I've used internal memory and transferred to the PCvia the USB cable its xfered as fast as my USB 2.0 card reader. A few times I had a slow down problem but putting a memory stick in ...and transferringto the PC then removing it seemed tocause internal memory to xfer faster when I tried it again.Don't know why...but itfixed the problem.
If slow internal memory transfer is the problem you're experiencing....

Try inserting a memory stick in the camera and transfer afew testimages to the PC via USB. THEN remove the stick and try to transfer images from internal memory and see if it speeds up.

If you're experiencing slow USB transfer with internal memory ORwith a memory stick inserted it might be a set-up issue with the camera or PC.The camera shouldtransfer filesto the PC as fast...or nearly as fast as a USB 2.0 card reader. If itdoesn't ....check the Camera Menu and make sure the connection is set to USB Connect: NORMAL (for USB transfer), PTP or Pictbridge depending on what device you're transferring to.

Also make sure your PC is USB 2.0 capable and USB 2.0 enabled in BIOS if it has that option. If you've installed a new motherboard or re-flashed the PC bios ....USB 2.0 may not be enabled and you may have to re-enable that setting in BIOS (if applicable).

Best of luck...and let me know how u make out.
Dave440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 12:24 AM   #4

Thanks Dave,

I just checked my USB selection ("Setup 2" - pg 60 of User's Guide); it is "Normal," which is the correct selection - the other selections are "PictBridge" and "PTP." Perhaps I'll try "PTP" mode; what could I lose.

My problem is Memory Stick or internal mem (in H1), via USB, to my PC (Windows XP). Same Memory Stick in my DSC-P10 takes 1 or 2 seconds per picture, while in TWO different H1s (My daughter also has one.)it took minutes per picture. A Sony tech stated the H1 has different firmware than the P10 and that's why it's slow; if there are enough complaints, Sony might provide an update for the H1's firmware.
Old May 13, 2006, 1:39 AM   #5

5/14/06 *** UPDATED UPDATED UPDATED UPDATED **** 5/14/06

I don't think the problem you're having is firmware related. After my tests yesterday showed I was experiencing a Camera to PC USB transfer slowdown (which I thought was resolved)...I was going to contactSony and mention your case as well.

I decided to test using my backup PC today before I contact Sony or send in a camera that might not have a problem and am glad I did. Tests on the backup PC show... my camera is apparenlty NOT to blame for the slow file transfers.

Testing on my main PC today...it took over 7 minutes to transfer 21 of 73 images...(wayyyy too long) then I got 2 different error messages to check Network or device connection and when I tried again...halfway through I got a message to check filepath and folder .... obviously connection errors.

I have 2 home built PCs both with the same cheap cases (no more cheap cases for me...live and learn). I know I have play in the front USB ports on my main PC case...and in fact my DSL disconnects ocassionally if I tap the wire with my foot. Apparently the other port that I plug the camera in is even looser. The loose connection is most likely causing intermittent contact or high resistance at the plug resulting in data loss and long file transfer time...or intermittent disconnects from the camera.

I tried my backup PC and transferred the same 73 images (from internal camera memory) in 15 seconds. Tried it twice. Then deleted all and shot 15 - 5mp images. Transferred in 10-12 secs. I alsoinserted a memory stick in the camera and shot 83 images at 5mp and transferred from the camera via USB in around 15-20 seconds.

Ithen plugged the USB cable back into theMAIN PC but into a DIFFERENT USB port....and got the same results.

I'm going to pinch those front USB ports a bit to tighten them up...but will probably end up getting a 5.25USB baywith good ports since the ones that came with my cases aresloppy. I might just get new cases altogether!

My H1 transfers as fast as my dads W7 and and my USB 2.0 card reader. My problem was not a camera issue....and sinceI havent found any other posts regarding slow transfer....I suspect it might not be firmware that is the problem for you but another issue. MINUTES per photo (as you indicated) is way too long. But as you see...mine was taking that long too....and turned out to be somethingother than the camera and that I should've suspected given I KNOW I have loose USB ports.
Check your USB ports for slop and make sure the cable plug is inserted securely. Check to see if the cable itselfmight be the problem bytrying a different one. Also try adifferent USB port and a different PC if you have access. You'll need to install the H1 USB driver on that PC in order to test it but it takes 2 seconds to do from the CD and then reboot.

Hope you find the problem. Might not be the camera at all. Good luck...and let meknow how you make out.

Old May 15, 2006, 1:28 AM   #6

I have the H1 and my PC is a Dell Dimensions 3000. I downloaded 1 Gb of images (finest resolution and no movies)from the camera to the PCvia USB port in less than 2 minutes. That's not bad at all. What memory stick are you guys using? That has a lot to do with it since they are rated on both write and read. I have two Sandisk ULTRA II (1 and 2 GB) and they are much faster than any Sony MS. Perhaps you guys are using low speed MS. The other possibility is a possible problem with your PC's USB port. Are you sure they are 2.0 compatible? My old PC isn't and transfer time to and from the PC is much, much longer.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 4:07 AM   #7

I'm using Sandisk MSPro sticks. 256 and 512. Not ultra seriesbut still fast.Think they're rated at like 9mb/sec or something like that if i recall. As I indicated above in my *update* my problem was an intermittent USB port and not the camera. I've been using internal memory more the past few days totest it out and transfer speed is fast so it wasthe loose USB port and not the camera. Not sure what type MS card Older Guy is using in his camera. He may have a USB port problem, PC issueor bad USBcable... or it may in fact be the camera. Onlytrying different USB ports, PC and cables will help narrow it down.

Old May 19, 2006, 3:16 PM   #8

Thanks for trying guys.

I have taken a "Sony Memory Stick Pro 'Magic Gate,' 256 MB" from my H1 to my daughter's H1 to my P10, using the same USB cable (which remained connected to my PC through out; I just switched the camera end from each camera to the next). Results: Minutes per picture for both H1s and seconds per picture for the P10. I am convinced it's an H1 problem.
Old May 19, 2006, 4:48 PM   #9

Yours, perhaps. I just downloaded 200+ pictures using the provided cable connected straight to my PC's USB port, in a little less than 1 minute. Not bad at all!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:33 PM   #10

I finally found my problem! The key is selecting "USB Connect" to be "PTP" and then select "Menu" after connecting the USB cable and then turning the camera on in "Playback" mode. This may be necessary because my OS is Windows XP. A message from Sony led me to "PTP."

Thanks to all who tried to help.