Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:55 AM   #1

im no professional at all, heck id be hesitant to even call me an amateur. i basically just point and click pictures of my kids, around house stuff, etc... but ready to step it up. my old sony dsc-p32 is outdated and I hate the lag from time i press button and it actually takes picture...

so i want to get something that i can grown into, im starting to really enjoy taking pictures. so I was looking and came across these 2 cameras. Im leaning towards the h2 just because its the newest camera.

got a simple question though, i dont have a digital video camera, wondering how well the video is on these cameras, would it be enough to take little clips of the kids around the house, then use a movie maker program and create little dvds of the kids? or am i gonna have to splurge and throw another $500 down for a seperate video camera?

other than the video question, dont really know of anything specific to ask because i really dont know much... just want something that i can grow into and get different lens, etc down the road once i learn a little more...

would love to see some sample pictures taken from either these 2 cameras tho, and would really love to see a video clip... thanks

00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:59 PM   #2

You can take movies that look pretty good at 640 X 480 and 30fps. Movies from a good digital camera aren't as good as what you can get from a good camcorder, but you not only have to consider whether you want to buy a camcorder but whether you want to carry both.

You might also look at the Canon S3. It has wind buffered stereo mics so the sound is better. Wind noise can be a real nuisance. I also prefer the fully articulated LCD for both movies and stills. You can shoot from near the ground or over people's heads and get good candid shots without having to stand behind the camera and aim it at someone. The S3 also has a decent burst mode.

The Panasonic FZ7 also has a stabilized zoom with decent VGA movies and is smaller than the H2 or S3. It is also lighter – especially after you install the batteries.

The Panasonic FZ30 has the advantage of a manual zoom ring but it is a very large camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:02 PM   #3

i like the idea of zoom in the movie mode that h2 has... do any of these other cameras offer that
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:09 PM   #4

when does the canon s3 release in US? called local stores and they said next week on the Sony H2
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:16 PM   #5

I think you have already missed H1
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:41 AM   #6

00bolt wrote:
Quote:
i like the idea of zoom in the movie mode that h2 has... do any of these other cameras offer that
If you are spending money for a camera you should take the time to read some reviews. Yes they do and the FZ30 zooms with a nice manual zoom ring rather than an electric switch.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:23 PM   #7

Slipe, I do not care about movie mode - I've bought CAMERA.
Also I do not care H1 does not have GPS as well it dos not have telephone built in, PDA, lighter, MP3 player, ets.
Real problem of H1is absence of FLASH shoe and accessory input
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:57 PM   #8

s_grins wrote:
Quote:
Slipe, I do not care about movie mode - I've bought CAMERA.
Also I do not care H1 does not have GPS as well it dos not have telephone built in, PDA, lighter, MP3 player, ets.
Real problem of H1is absence of FLASH shoe and accessory input

Still, the H1 takes superb pictures, that should be the most important consideration.

Now if only it had a sucessor with a swivel screen and raw...

But it seems these days the actual quality of a cameras pictures are secondary to the fluff , you know like the boasting that goes on in forums about the swivel and stereo mics some cameras have thus proving its the better camera.. and no word at all about the "soft" pics it actually takes..
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote