Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 4, 2006, 8:52 AM   #1

Can someone with either of these two cameras help me choose.

I need a burst mode more capable of three shots, can these cameras deliver for sports.

I also like the mpeg video feature these cameras have.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 9:32 AM   #2

Both have quite poor burst modes, around 1.3 or 1.2 frames per second, the slower being the H5 obviously since it has more pixels to save.
Meeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 10:32 AM   #3

Is the burt mode like the F717 only 3 shots at a time.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Administrator

A word of caution, since I know from your past posts that you use your DSC-F717 at ISO 800 during night games.

The lens on your DSC-F717 is twice as bright as the lenses on these Ultra-Zoom models on it's wide end (f/2 is exactly twice as bright as f/2.8 ), and I suspect that there is even more difference when you're zooming to longer focal lengths

These ultra-zoom models are down to around f/3.7 on their long end, versus f/2.4 for your DSC-F717. I don't know how they compare at 190mm equivalent (but, I suspect that the DSC-F717 is at least twice as bright there.

So, in low light (your night ball games), you'll need shutter speeds at least twice as long as with your DSC-F717 to properly expose the images, for any given ISO speed setting.

Steve has not yet completed reviews on these models, and I have not researched the specs for burst mode.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5

Thanks Jim C.

This camera is for a colegue, not for me. I appreciate the heads up. I am waiting for a 20d to drop a little more before I commit.

Also very curios about the new sony dslr line.
Old May 4, 2006, 1:01 PM   #6
Administrator

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
This camera is for a colegue, not for me. I appreciate the heads up. I am waiting for a 20d to drop a little more before I commit.
Don't forget your lens(es) cost. ;-)

You'll want a zoom that can maintain f/2.8 throughout the focal range for your night games. Then, shooting at ISO 1600 with a DSLR, your shutter speeds would be about the same as you're getting at ISO 800 with your Sony on it's wide end), and a bit faster than your Sony at longer focal lengths.

About the least expensive f/2.8 zoom suitable would be something like a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX (and they have a few variations of it). It's around $800 discounted. A Canon lens with the same specs will cost you more.

You'll also need to practice quite a bit to get used to it's behavior. You'll have far less depth of field for any given aperture with a DSLR than you're used to with your Sony. So, don't expect to catch the ball close to the plate, and have subjects further away in focus at the same time in low light (since you'd need to use wider apertures in low light, where depth of field will be shallower).

Quote:
Also very curios about the new sony dslr line.
Yes, aren't we all? :-) I'm currently using a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, so I already have an investment in lenses that could be used on the new Sony DSLR models (these cameras will use Minolta Maxxum/Dynax mount lenses). So, their plans are of particular interest to me for upgrade options in the future.

I suspect that we'll start seeing some announcements soon. Rumour has it to expect a June launch of at least one DSLR, with at least one more following a bit later. But, this is only rumour (Sony hasn't made any announcements on their timeframe, except for "this summer").

They have announced their intent to capture more than 25% of the DSLR market over the next few years. So, that means they'll need to introduce some pretty good products to start taking chunks out of Canon's marketshare. Only time will tell how well they'll meet their goals.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote