Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 8, 2006, 7:38 PM   #1

Any comments from people who used it before or owners of this camera? Is it better than the Canon sd700is indoors?
iceman_dl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 9:29 AM   #2

No comments? Anyway, I came to a conclusion and picked up the canon sd700IS because this camera is faster (startup, shot to shot, focus, etc..) than the sony t30 from what I read on a T30 review. Also since, both have the same CCD size of 1/2.5 inches, an extra megapixel on the t30 will only create more noise than the sd700IS.
Old May 21, 2006, 1:25 PM   #3

I am debating between a SD600 (quite similar to the 700) and a Sony T30. How does your SD700 fare in macro with low light ?ThanksFT
ftausk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 5:20 PM   #4

Actually quite good! Because I can shoot at a min of 1/10 sec without shake with the image stabilization (with no flash of course)! On my old sony p200 with no flash or any other camera with no image stabilization, I had to shoot a minimum of 1/100 sec to avoid shaky and blurry photos. It makes a world of a difference since I can shoot at a lower iso (lower noise) than say for example the new sd600 that doesn't have an image stabilization. Also the battery life is so much better on my sd700 than the sd600. However, it is $100 more than the sd600 but, for me, the image stabilizer (better low light capability) and the longer battery life justifies that premium.
Old May 21, 2006, 6:26 PM   #5

The T30 also has true optical stabilization and you can use the flash on the folded lens cameras closer for macro.

I personally would prefer the SD700 even though it is a little larger because of the extra zoom and optical viewfinder.

If you don't tend to use the optical viewfinder the T30 has a larger high resolution LCD. It also comes with a large internal memory that you can store a permanent photo album on to show off on the nice screen. Internal memory is a lot better than a useless throw-away card IMO.

Canon is advertising improved noise reduction and better than average noise at higher ISO. I haven't seen a good review to confirm how well it works. The T9 does very well at ISO 400 and I would imagine the T30 is as good. The Canon has a better f stop at wide but the Sony is better at zoom where you tend to need it more. I think the T30 would be at least as good overall in limited light.

They both look like nice cameras.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:03 AM   #6

iceman_dl6 wrote:
Quote:
No comments? Anyway, I came to a conclusion and picked up the canon sd700IS because this camera is faster (startup, shot to shot, focus, etc..) than the sony t30 from what I read on a T30 review. Also since, both have the same CCD size of 1/2.5 inches, an extra megapixel on the t30 will only create more noise than the sd700IS.
How realiable has the SD700 been so far? How long have you had it?

I ask because I had just returned a new Sony DSC-H5 last night. Gave me bogus battery life indicuation and would periodically shut itself off. Which pissed me off! So, now I'm in the market for a new digital camera already.

The SD700/SD630 are on my short list. More the SD700 for the IS.

I'm also considering the Sony T30/T9. Again, I'm wondering about their reliablity. And how they handle power. Hopeing they don't suffering from the sudden shutdown problem that seems to plague some H5 users. Found out I'm not the only one. I think it happens on the H2 too. Not sure.

Love to hear your commenets! Any one is welcome to chime in. Users of the said cameras preferred though.

Thanks!!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote