Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 24, 2003, 2:55 AM   #1

Default More zoom for my F707?

What's a good telephoto lens for the F707? Does Sony make one for it? Ideally, I'd like to get around 10x zoom (for shooting pictures of cars at a race track), which is double what I have now. I guess that means I need a 2x converter, correct? I suppose I could settle for less, though.

Thanks!
RobertMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:15 AM   #2

Default Answer

I have the 717 Sony and the 1.7 VCL-HGD1758 lens and I ca n highly recomend it. I also use digital zooms and spot focus on this camera and could care less what anyone else might think on digital zooms this sytem makes great pictures. I have also tried my older 52mm Sony 2x telephoto and wile it worked there is not any comparison between the quality of the two lens. The 1.7 lens will increase your camera weight to 3 1/2 pounds so get a good strap.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 5:12 PM   #3

Robert - I recommend the 1.7x Sony HGD1758 lens as well, or optionally the 1.45x Olympus TCON-14b lens. Both of these lenses will be very effective at enlarging the image and allowing the sony camera to still resovle highly. The Sony F-7x7 units will be hindered by lesser quality lenses.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 4:18 AM   #4

I was just looking at the VCL-HGD1758 telephoto lens. Weird.

It's definately something I'll have to look into. At $260 (list price of $300), I don't know if I can get it now, but it looks like something I'd want to have...
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:54 PM   #5

THe Sony teleconvertor runs about 229.00 at www.b-300.com and even cheaper elsewhere(down to about $200-$205) but watch out for companies with cruddy customer service history(usually the cheapest price places). I have used b-300.com and they provided me with great service; i bought my olympus tcon-14b their.

-Chris
Old Apr 27, 2003, 12:46 AM   #6

Cool, thanks!

BTW, do you know if they charge tax?
Old Apr 27, 2003, 5:41 PM   #7

I was not charged tax. But maybe this depends on what state you are in?

-Chris
Old Apr 28, 2003, 5:29 AM   #8

I'm in California where we have sales tax. Some web sites don't charge you tax anyway, though. I think that the rule is, if you're based in a state (even partially) and the customer is as well, you must charge tax. Otherwise, you don't have to. My computer, an Alienware, is from Florida, and I didn't have to pay tax on it, for example.