Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 19, 2006, 9:46 PM   #1

Hello all. I would like to say thanks in advace for your time.

I just recently purchased a Sony H2 and would like to make sure I've purchased the right camera for what I need it for.

I have a 9 year old daughter that is in pagents (Festivals). I have taken her to 3 different professionals and she just isn't comfortable with taking pictures around them. However I have taken some pictures of her that came out pretty darn good, but I used a Toshiba 2.2megapixel camera and just wasn't able to crop the way I wanted.

I also am the coach of a 8-9 year old softball team and would like to capture some action shots of the kids while batting, and fielding. I have a pretty good plan on how to publish the shots I take.

As I said I'm not planning on making any type of profit with this I just want a versitile camera that does what I stated above.

Am I on the right track? I wasn't comfortable purchasing a higher end camera right now, until I get somewhat close to what I'm looking for in results.

Any suggestions will be greatly accepted. Thanks again for your time and hope to hear back from you all.

Chad Allums
SwampDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 2:35 AM   #2

Hi, I have the H1 and I absolutely love it. I'm sure there are many similarities between the H1 and H2. Check out the H1 White Paper written by Alan Katz. I'm sure you'll be able to apply 99.9% of his hints and suggestions toyour H2.

http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 9:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I sure was hoping someone would help. Thanks again that is some valuble information.

Chad Allums
SwampDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 10:29 AM   #4

No problem. I think you've made the right choice. I'd have waited for the H5 but that's because, as I said, I already have the H1 and I think the H5 is more of an upgrade. There is an issue with the initial H2 batch shipped by Sony. It will not accept Sandisk Memory Sticks, only Sony. The problem has been fixed by Sony and the fix (firmware update)is available at the Sony website. Happy shooting!!!
Old May 27, 2006, 9:29 PM   #5

SONY H series are great cameras. The only field they do not excel is indoor shooting. To be exact camera has built-in flash.
Built-in flash is horrible for portrait photography. Cameras do not have hotshoe and ability to wire-connect extra flash.
Before you make your decision, you should have to make reaserch about triggered by light slave flashes, studio lights and so on.

Good luck

Simon
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 12:35 AM   #6

Sorry Simon but I strongly disagree with you. I don't know about the H2/H5 build in flash but the H1 is absolutely awesome. It is one of the most powerful flashes on a PAS I've come across. It is so powerful that I usually reduce the exposure to -2 to prevent over exposure. I owe 5 digicams (including the H1 and S2) and the only one that has a decent built-in flash(but nothing compared to theH1) is the Kodak DX6440, an old 4 MP but with great features like super wide angle lens and full manual control, which was not available on budget cameras until much later. I doubt the H2/H5 have poorer flash capabilities than the H1 but I can not guarantee it. As for the H1, no need to use external flash at all.
Old May 28, 2006, 9:56 AM   #7

Hi, Tullio
This is kind of misunderstanding caused by my unclear statement.

What I want to say is built-in flash is not good for portrait photos regardless of camera brand and strength of flash.
The biggest disadvantage of H series is absence of hot shoe and accessory port to connect external flash
In my vision I'd like to see H cameras with hot shoe instead of built-in flash.

In addition to H1 I have R1 camera and external flash.
I know all the difference external flash makes when you bounce the light from the ceiling and photo has filled detailed without harsh shadows look.
If I had hot shoe on H1 I could use the flash on it.

Now the only solution is slave flash triggered by built-in camera flash. It soves some problems and produce others such as triggering on pre-flash and so on.

BR
Simon

PS: you wrote 'As for the H1, no need to use external flash at all.'
Lucky you are.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 10:27 AM   #8

You've got a point there, Simon. I read your first postwith the eye of a casual photographer (like me). I don't do portraits. I take casual family pictures or pictures of friends when we have get together. With my previous cameras, unless I was close to the subject, things would be dark and I hated. The H1 allows me to photograph large groups with plenty of light. I also agree that having the hot shoe is a big plus. I'm looking into buying the Panasonic FZ20, not because of the hot shoe but it has one. I really wanted the R1 but it's way out of my price range.