Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:56 AM   #1

The problem I'm having is that when I am in low light I get the hand flashing telling me that I do not have enough light most of the time it happen when I have the lens in the zoom position I have tried all different settings and I cannot get the hand to stop flashing. I have read and read the book but still do not get it.

I like taking shots without the flash and do not want to take my tripod I use to use the dsc 717 and I did not have this problem but that was a borrowed camera and decided to buy my own and thought that the 828 would be a good buy but have not been happy with this feature

help

Sissy

sissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:08 AM   #2

Thats an automated warning when you go below a certain shutter speed.

Its simply a warning of the possibilty of hand shake ruining the shot due to the lack of light forcing a slow shutter, but it does not prevent you taking the picture.

You would get the same warning at low shutter speeds even if the camera was ona tripod.

Its simply there as a reminder, if you have steady hands, or have set the camera on a tripod or are steadying yourself against a wall etc, you can safely ignore it.

You could also set a higher ISO to compensate for the low light.

Remember its always better to have an underexposed shot than no shot at all (or an over exposed shot with totally blown highlights)

The reason you say you get the shake warning more at zoom is the lens is F2.0 at wide angle and at zoom F2.8, thus as you zoom the lens has lesss light to work with forcing slower shutter speeds.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:56 AM   #3

I have tried to set the ISO higher and the pictures come out blurry and even thought the shaking hand is there they still seem to be blurry

I just can't get a handle on this camera like I have with others

not real happy with this one

I am taking a lot of photo of the church service and the light is low but the shots are coming out blurry it does not seem to be able to focus well in low light
sissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4

Umm, the 828 uses Hologram AF laser assist for perfect focusing even in total darkness.

As an experiment put the camera on a tripod and use the self timer to take a shot in low light where there is no one touching the camera or causing it to shake.

Then load the pictures taken onto your computer and view there.

I suggest not using the cameras screen to review the pictures as you would be looking at a screen with only 134,000 pixels and trying to judge a picture with 8,000,000 pixels !

Also check what ISO you are using, 200 seems the maximumreasonable noisewise, 400 and above are generally for emergencies only.

Also check the fundamentals, are you shooting at max resolution , check the ISO settings, check the white balance is set correctly, are you shooting raw or jpeg , if jpeg make sure its 8mp fine, are you shooting in manual focus mode or auto mode?

If all these tests are fine , but the pictures are still blurry, then you might need to get the camera serviced.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:10 PM   #5

ok I am mostly shooting in automatic which is the little green camera on the command dial can I adjust the iso in that setting?

If I need to be shooting in another command can you suggest which would be the better one shooting in low light wiht iso setting higher and the subject sometimes is moving. I just don't understand the book that came with the camera

sorry

thanks

reddawg57 is offline   Reply With Quote