Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1
kal

just purchased this camera but I now notice it dosen't have a sport or action mode, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could adjust to help with action shots?
I mostly take pictures of my son moving. Also, any general suggestions on good settings other then just using the auto mode?? Should I trade this in for a Canon SD450 since it has a kids mode?? Thanks
kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:47 PM   #2
Administrator

What kind of action shots.

Are you shooting indoors or outdoors?

With or without flash?

If you're using the flash, that would probably be good enough to freeze the action in most darker conditions.

If you are outside, try increasing ISO speed.

If you are indoors and can't use the flash, you could also increase ISO speed. But, depending on lighting, that may not be good enough to stop a subject that's moving much.

Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera's autoexposure can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting and aperture. Note that your Sony has ISO speeds up to ISO 1000 available.

But, you don't want to go any higher than necessary because noise (similar to film grain) will increase as ISO speeds get higher. Staying on the wide end of the lens will also help.

The lens on your Sony is rated at f/2.8-5.2, which means that it's about 3 times as bright on it's wide end (least apparent magnification) versus it's long end (most apparent magnification). So, if shooting in low light, staying on the wide end of the lens can also help the camera use faster shutter speeds (don't zoom in any more than necessary).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:35 AM   #3
kal

Thanks for the info,

Most if not all of my pictures are of my 15 month old son who never sits still. I take both inside and outside and the W-50 seems quick to respond but I thought that some type of action mode might help with the movement and not getting blurry pictures. Since there's no action mode I tried using the P mode and moving the ISO to 400 instead of using auto, do you think this will be helpful or not make much of a difference?Thanks
kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:31 AM   #4
Administrator

Kal:

All the action modes on cameras are doing is opening the aperture up (smallest f/stop number) and boosting the ISO speed.

In low light, the camera will already be using the largest available aperture (smallest f/stop number) for the lens zoom position. So, by boosting the ISO speed, you're accomplishing the same thing.

Indoors, ISO 400 may not be high enough to stop action, even if you stay on the wide end of the lens.

I often shoot at ISO 1600 indoors with a bright lens on a DSLR, and still get some motion blur if I can't use a flash. Light is much lower than it appears to the human eye in a well lit interior.

Flash is your best bet. But, if you want to try some photos without it and don't mind the increase in noise levels, boost your ISO speed and you'll get faster shutter speeds in low light. Your Sony goes up to ISO 1000.. Staying on the wide end of the lens (least apparent magnification) will also help. Shutter speeds will be about 3 times as fast there in low light, compared to what they'd be if you zoomed in all the way.

Try it in the light you want to use it in, and see what kind of results you get at different ISO speeds.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:13 PM   #5

Well thats not really the deal with this one.for example when the lens is wide the camera has a selection of only 2 aperture sizes, f2.8 and f7.1. It changes to the smaller one automatically when shutter speed reaches 1/500. When there's plenty of light there is no issue, shutter speeds are high and u can make'em even higher by increasing the iso value. tha same with low light since its highly unlikely to reach 1/500. But in between, when you try to increase the shutter speed by increasing sensitivity, the aperture suddenly gets smaller and the shutter speed decreases dramatically so u have the opposite effect!
the only walkaround would be to use the soft-snap mode wich maintains the larger aperture till speed reaches 1/1000. but this mode makes photos softer and gives u no control over ISO so with intermediate lighting u're stuck with no faster than 1/500 and iso 80.such a great omission for the whole w-series from sony.Who knows, maybe a firmware update to allow manual iso setting in soft-snap and greater shutter speeds at f2.8, since the cam is capable of 1/2000, but i doubt it...
pixmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote