Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:33 AM   #1

I'm currently in the market to buy a nice camera. I been looking at this Sony H5 that just came out. I have been reading some of the reviews and kinda have mixed feelings about it:?. I like the 12xoptical zoom and the 7 megs on this camera. Is there another camera out there that might have the same specs and $ amount I can compare it to. Need some advice ,thanks guys...Which camera do you guys recommend? I like the SLR type of body.
zonasuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:29 PM   #2

You could consider the Sonys main rival, the Canon S3.

Only 6mp but it has a flip and swivel screen (2in), fast unlimited burst speed and stereo movie sound, can also take time lapse pictures (ie you could set it to take 20 pictures automatically, one every half hour etc etc )

Unlike the Sony it doesn't come with the adapter tube (for mounting filters and adapter lens), rechargeable batteries or a charger, so you would have to budget for those if wanted.

Remember unless you are printing at massive sizes for hanging on gallery walls you don't need a lot of megapixels in a camera.

Printing at 4x6 inches ? A 3 mp camera would probably do !

In fact 3mps is not badfor printing at A4 size (210mm × 297mm)
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:10 PM   #3

Hello man, there are only a few reviews out there. Don´t know why they are taking so long to post them, as long as the h2 one.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

There is also a member of the forum, CyberShotNut with one of this mega pixel super zoom monster, so by patient and look for his pics. .

hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:27 PM   #4

What I have seen so far would lead me to believe that an H1 is a better deal. You should be able to get a good price and not tell any difference in photo quality. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:10 AM   #5

The H1 is definitely a better deal, not only for the price but it's a better camera overall. The optics are excellent and it produces gorgeous pictures. Whatever you do, stay away from the Canons (S2/S3). They will give you more headache than you can possibly handle. They produce very soft images, they have problems with SD cards, AF is poor, and the list goes on. I had both the H1 and S2, which I finally sold. The H1 is by far a muchbetter camera. I hardly miss a shot. The IS system works like no other. If you need more to convince yourself, read the following document then order the H1:

http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:57 PM   #6

I have to agree with the H1 beating the socks off of Canon. I have a Sony H1 and a Panasonic FZ20 and both these cameras are a joy to use. I also tried a Canon IS S1 and it was the *worst* digicam that I have ever owned. I have owned many Sony (F717, V1, T1, P10...)Panasonic, and Olympus cams, and this Canon digicam had such a poor autofocus and was such a turn off that I will *never, ever* invest in another Canon product. It was the lousiest digicam that I ever purchased.

Chrystie

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:00 PM   #7

Ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto, Chrystie. Actually, Canon is pretty consistent for the S1 problem was nicely carried over to the S2 and S3:-)

I too have the FZ20 (as well as the H1). The FZ20 has a couple of interesting features. The f/2.8 across the entire zoom range is an exception (I don't believe any other cameracarries such a lens),and the manual focus is much closer to the normal DSLR's. However, I am not impressed by its OIS system (the H1 IS is much, much better). I took some late afternoon shots with the camera in P mode and ISO set to 80 and the images were blurred due to camera shake. I took hundreds of pictures with my H1 from inside some California caverns in the Gold Country in very difficult light conditions (w/o flash and ISO set to 64) and most shots were properly focused. Other issues I found with the FZ20are noise (bad with ISO above 100)and purple fringing (real bad unless aperture is greater than f/5.6). Again, the H1performs much better in these two areas. Then there is the proprietary battery, which I despise (the H1 only takes 2 AA). And last but not least,the FZ20 isbulkier than the H1. The sad thing is, I bought the FZ20 a couple of weeks ago (the price was good - $299 and free shipping from Amazon - and I wanted to test it). So, it was not a replacement for the awesome H1 and by the looks of it, the H5 won't beeither. Perhaps next year Sony will release the H6 (or the R2)with 15x zoom.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote