Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:06 PM   #11

Sure thing. If nothing else, the Sony batteries that come with the camera should be good (or Sony has a real internal problem). I use POWEREX 2500 mAH and they work just fine. TheH1 actually warns me when the battery is low, it never simply shuts down. I doubt that the use of non-recommended batteries will damage the camera. I think it's annoying that you can not rely on the battery life icon but that's all. In any case, it's probably a good idea to stick to the recommended types just for the sake of it!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:21 AM   #12

Hello again,

You're right. I think I will for now stick with the Sony's. Might try their silver/orange label 2500 mAh batteries next. Should work as good as the blue/orange batteries that came with my H5. And possibly 2500 mAh rated NiMH batteries from other brands like Energizer (being as one of us here has used them without troubles...premature shutdowns).

As I said, I shouldn't have anything to worry about with my Sony's. Will have to just start shooting till the batteries drain. Hoping there will be no premature shutdowns. And that I will get full use of this one charge (e.g. the rated 340 shots or there bouts).

By "internal problem" did you mean within the Sony Corporation or the Sony camera? :?

And did you get accurate readings when using NiMH batteries with your H1? :-)
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:31 AM   #13

Hi, I meant internal problems within Sony Corp. I have had no problems with the POWEREX rechargeable batteries. The reading is very accurate and the camera never shuts down w/o warning me that the battery is drained.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:19 AM   #14

Ok thanks man. I'm assuming the same thing should happen with my Sony's (2500 mAh blue/orange label). Give me an accurate reading and just tell me the batteries are drained without a shutdown.

All I know at this point in the game is taht with non-NiMH batteries you DO get inaccurate readings and shutdowns. Like with the Panasonic Oxyrides.

I'm going to ask Jeff Keller from that other website...cough, cough...who reviewed the H5 what his experiences have been as far as battery use goes. But, it still would be nice if H2 or better yet H5 owners would comment. Come on guys!! :-)
Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:30 AM   #15

The Sony blue/orange should work flawlessly. If it doesn't, you camera has a problem, mate. I doubt the reviewers use anything other than the original accessories (batteries when included).
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:25 AM   #16

Hey dude,

I hope you're right about the blue/orange working "flawlessly". Hate to go to the trouble of either refunding or exchanging my new H5. Even if that only means a trip to the local Sony Store. But, theoretically the suppied Sony batteries "should" as you say be perfect.

I also just heard from Jeff Keller of that other digital camera website. He mentions in brief that he thinks the Panasonic Oxyrides might not agree with the H5. And that I should just stick to alkalines and NiMH. Haven't used alkalines yet so I don't know what kind of performance I'll get with them yet with my H5.

He didn't answer my questions regarding his experiences using the suppied batteries yet. So I asked him again...Interested to hear what he has to say. He must have shot at least 300 shots testing the H5. Through one "use cycle" (e.g. charge, use, recharge). So he should be able to give me an accurate account.

Have only begun using the blue/orange Sony's after charging them fully for the first time. Will keep you posted here as time passes.

Take care...
Old Jun 13, 2006, 2:10 PM   #17

Asking Jeff was a good idea since he has reviewed the H5. If you want extra batteries, I'd buy the POWEREX 2700 mAh (see link below). It's considered one of the best rechargeable batteries out there. They are made in Japan and hold the charge like no other.

Cheers,

Tullio.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/a...-batteries.php
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:22 PM   #18

Thanks pal. Bookmarked the webiste. And have bookmarked the Powerex company site. Price is fair too. I think they are under $17.00 for a set of 4 2700 mAh rated batteries. That's roughly $1.00 savings over buying Sony 2500 mAh 4-pack.

Found out on the one Canadian site selling Powerex batteries that it's claimed that you get the most juice from Powerex batteries. Many others claim let's say 2500 mAh but really only deliver 1800 mAh. And, I think they go on to say that the 2500 mAh batteries give at least a minimum of 2000 mAH.

Any how, I just might give the Powerex 2700 mAh a try.

Still waiting to hear from Jeff. Will post after he replies.

Take care dood...
Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:08 PM   #19

Don't hold your breath waiting for Jeff's reply. I've had good and not so good experiences exchanging emailswith him. On his review of the Canon S3 he states that the S3is the most power efficient of the super zooms. However, he is not comparing apples to apples because the S3 takes 4 batteries while the H2/H2 onlytake two. So, if you multiply the number of pictures the H2/H5 take with two batteries by 2 (equivalent to using 4 batteries),the total number of pictures is much greater than the S3. Obvious logic, isn't it? Well, Jeff did not think so and totally ignored my reply. He is a Canon fan and I find him very biased towardCanon cameras.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:04 PM   #20

That makes absolute sense. Actually, that thought pretty much immediately came to my mind when I was reading his review of the H5 too. And is one of many reasons why I chose the H5. Why not save a little money on batteries if you can? Not to mention that when you're on the road you'd only need another pair of backup batteries whereas if you're a S3 owner a 4-pack. Or two 4-packs. Just in case. Adds up...The less you have to carry or worry about the better IMHO.

As for Jeff's replies...so far he's been fast. Perhaps a little brief. And not answering all questions asked.:-)

Btw...I just contacted the Powerex company. James Wang replied and gave me two e-mails to contact to find out where in Toronto I can buy Powerex batteries. As I said I just might give them a try.

So far, I've only uploaded some pictures and shot two more, using the supplied Sony NiMH batteries. So far so good. Even if this is very early in the game. As I said, hopefully there's nothing wrong wtih my camera and that it was only the Panasonic Oxyrides.

Got a question for you about the "portrait" scene mode. I used it a few times expecting to get the focused foreground and blurred background effect. Haven't got it so far. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I have the AF set to "multipoint AF"? Which is my default. And not to "Center AF"? Still playing around the scene modes and the Program AE (green camera icon) mode.