Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:40 PM   #21

Juicy batteries
¬*
Hi dude
If you look at bottom of your camera, you can find maximum voltage allowed¬* =2,4v
Now about batteries
AA alkaline¬* -1.5x2=3v
NiMh¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 1.2x2=2,4v
AA lithium¬*¬*¬*¬* 1.5x2=3v
Check pany batteries by yourself
There were posts that higher voltage causes premature bulb explosion in camera flash.
So use NiMh batteries ‚Äď rechargeable or disposable. This is up to you.
Use any brand and any color. Use blue orange or blue grape ‚Äď it does not matter. Just remember you need 2.4v
¬*
Now lets talk about juice. It is true some batteries are juicier than others.
From other hand some cameras are drinkers and some are not.
Some cameras are thirstier when they use flash.
29 shots with flash on are not really bad number for 2 puny AA batteries.
Have a bad habit to carry second set of batteries in store (or may be bag)
¬*
Have a good shooting time with your new batteries.

Once Mr, Dark made deep corrections to several messages he has posted before, everybody,please do not blame me for such a rude post and presume it VOID
Thanks for forgiveness in advance
s_grins
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:42 PM   #22

VOID

s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:16 PM   #23

Thanks for the information. Will check the bottom of my H5 or the Sony website later. So it seems using certain 3rd party batteries CAN cause our cameras to be damaged after all. Or behave in odd ways.

On the http://www.sonystyle.ca website it lists "battery requirements" being 3V. Here is the link...

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...h=n32090n32091

On the bottom of my H5 it says 2.4 V

Guess, I'll go with the reading on the bottom of the H5 and stick to buying 1.2V batteries. So far only the Powerex 2500/2700 mAh, Energizer 2500 mAh and the Sony 2500 mAh batteries are rated for 1.2 volts each. Looks like I'll be sticking to one any of the 3 brands to be safe.

Good information to know.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:42 PM   #24

A couple of quick suggestions. First, if you don't want to bother with aperture and/or shutter speed and/or manual settings, use the P (program) mode. This mode will set the aperture and shutter speed automatically but it will also let you set the ISO, WB, exposure, etc. It's a good compromise and I use it a lot. The blurred background has to do with the aperture. The portrait mode may or may not select a high aperture (low Av number) depending on the light condition. Keep in mind that point-and-shoot cameras (as opposed to DSLRs) have a different lens design than DSLRs. An aperture of f/2.8 on the H2 is equivalent to f/5.6 in DSLR terms or even greater,so it is difficult to obtain a shallow DOF with non-DSLR cameras. Instead of using portrait, try toset the camera to Av mode (aperture priority) and set the aperture to f/2.8 (as long as the speed does not drop below 1/30 or you may get blurred pictures due to camera shake despite the fact thatthe H1/H2/H5 have an excellent IS system). The other technique you can put into practice to obtain blurred (out of focus) background is to step further back from the subject being photographed and zoom in. This technique will for sure produce blurred back ground and the more you zoom in the blurrier it gets. Now, keep in mind thoughthat this effect is absolutely not the same as the shallow DOF effect created by large apertures.

In any case, I discourage you from using the camera in AUTO mode (little green symbol on the dial). This is an awesome camera and you should try to take advantage of its features. There is a little wheel underneath the shutter that makes life very very easy when it comes to changing the aperture, shutter speed or Ev. Take advantage of it for most cameras you have to get into the menu to make the change. I find this to be one of the greatest features of the H1.

Let me know when you post your images so I can see the results.

Cheers.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:48 PM   #25

Don't get too stressed over the 2.4v thing.

Says the same thing on the H1 and people have been using AA Lithiums (2x 1.5v) since it came out with out a problem, even though Sony say not to use them ..

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:54 AM   #26

Thanks for the tips. But, as I said, I'm just playing around with the scene modes right now. I knew I could achieve the blurred background effect using the "Aperture Priority" (A) mode. Just haven't gotten around to experimenting on it yet. I only just got my H5 after all.

I checked some of the pictures in which I did use the "portrait" scene mode. And did discover that the aperture was indeed set to F 2.8 with a shutter speed of I think 1/40. So theoretically I should have got the shallow DOF effect but didn't. Or at least the effect wasn't as obvious as I would have liked. I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting. That and as you said it could have had something to do with the lighting conditions at the time. I haven't exactly shot a lot of pics yet (less than 30...hehe!!) so heh...

Oh and before I forget to ask...you mention you like to use the P (program) mode a lot. When in that mode what is your AF set to? Mine is set to the default of "multipoint AF". Not sure if this would affect my camera's ability to get the blurred background effect when using "portrait mode". Would using either of the other two modes be better? Like the "center AF" setting or the "flexible AF" setting?

Better yet...if you don't mind...maybe you could list the settings you would use to get the "portrait mode effect" and post 1 picture?

And I do plan on fully usingALL the modes and features available eventually. Wouldn't want to waste such a great camera. If i wanteda total P&S camera I could have gotten something more simpler and limited in ability. Like maybe the Sony P200.

Btw...how would I post pics on this forum? I tried doing so with the tried and true "copy/paste" method. Couldn't do it. So if you could show me the way...I'd be happy to post some of my shots. :-)

As for the voltage thing...I think I'll take s_grins' advice. And stick with 1.2V NiMH batteries. Why chance it? Besides, the NiMH batteries used by a few of the H1 owners are all 1.2V...which happen to work "flawlessly".

And as I've said...I've only fully charged the supplied Sony's for the first time and have begun using them. Will see how things go. Should be fine. Will keep every one posted either way.

Thanks for your words guys!!

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:38 AM   #27

To post pictures, simply click on New Topic, type anything in the main window and then click the Browse button down below. Go to the directory that contains the pictures (JPEG files) you want to post, double click onthephoto you want to upload (the address will appear in the window to the left of the browse button). Click on preview to upload(PLEASE NOTE THAT THESIZE OFTHE JPEG FILE MUST BE SMALLER THAN 244 Kb or the upload will fail). If successful, the JPEG file name will appear underneath you comments in the big window. You can then right click and openin a different window to make sure it's good and if is, click on the Send button, located at the bottom right next to the Preview button.Or, you can simply clickon the Send button to post the file.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:31 PM   #28

Just picked up the H5. If you read the "Cybershot Read This First" pamphlet which is for the H2/H5, it states that for "other than thesupplied ones ....You can use HR 15/51:HR6 (size AA) Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries/LR6 (size AA) alkiline battery/ZR6 (size AA) Oxy Nickel Primary Battery" and refers to page 110 of the User's Guide/Troublshooting. There it shows that the batteries are supported, but also have notes for unsupported batteries (manganese and Ni-Cd).

Using the supported batteries, Sony or not, should not affect performance. If the problem persists, I would return the camera as defective.

I have not yet tested the camera, but will tomorrow.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:50 AM   #29

paniolo wrote:
Quote:
Just picked up the H5. If you read the "Cybershot Read This First" pamphlet which is for the H2/H5, it states that for "other than thesupplied ones ....You can use HR 15/51:HR6 (size AA) Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries/LR6 (size AA) alkiline battery/ZR6 (size AA) Oxy Nickel Primary Battery" and refers to page 110 of the User's Guide/Troublshooting. There it shows that the batteries are supported, but also have notes for unsupported batteries (manganese and Ni-Cd).

Using the supported batteries, Sony or not, should not affect performance. If the problem persists, I would return the camera as defective.

I have not yet tested the camera, but will tomorrow.
Welp, as I've mentioned in other H5 related posts on this forum I have returned my H5. As of Tuesday night. Don't know what it was with my camera. Sounds like I was the only one with the shutdown problem and the funky battery power level readouts. Got fed up.

Will I give the H5 another chance? Probably. Only way to find out if I was just unlucky and got a dud. Besides, the Sony Stores, have a great return policy. 30 days!! Unheard of today! All I'd have to loose is time. Should I end up with a second dud. Which I'm doubting.

Keep us posted! Shoot till you totally drain the Sony's.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:47 AM   #30

Played with the H5 tonight and seems like a pretty incredible camera. Will shoot in daylight tomorrow to test. My only reservaion at this point is that it is a little too big to carry around a construction site while climbing around on the scaffolds and ladders. My W1is great but got a dust speckin the lens system resulting in a dark spot when zoomed in.

A sample of the W1:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=85
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote