Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:57 AM   #31

paniolo wrote:
Quote:
Played with the H5 tonight and seems like a pretty incredible camera. Will shoot in daylight tomorrow to test. My only reservaion at this point is that it is a little too big to carry around a construction site while climbing around on the scaffolds and ladders. My W1is great but got a dust speckin the lens system resulting in a dark spot when zoomed in.

A sample of the W1:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=85
For me, I never had a problem with it's size. While you wouldn't call it "compact" as far as non-DSLR cameras go. I don't think it's that big. And I liked the ergonomics. Had a decent feel in my hand. Good grip (for a non-DSLR). Very nice results.

All in all a great camera! If I didn't have my two problems I'd still have mine.

Please shoot till you've completely drained the Sony NiMH batteries. Love to hear about your experiences. If yours suddenly shutdown during this time. If the battery power level readout was accurate throughout.

So far, it sounds like I'm the only H5 owner on this forum who had the sudden shutdown problem. There were other reports of problems with the batter power level reading.

Have fun!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:32 PM   #32

I can not believe that every H5 out there has a battery reading problem. If that's the case, you better believe Sony will soon release a firmware upgrade to fix it. I personally like to see the battery icon (both the Sony and the Panasonic display that) as opposed to the Canon approach - no icon, just a warning messageright before the battery is totally dead. With the icon, you can monitor and control battery utilization. Say youwent out and did not bring spare batteries with you. As soon as you see that icon going from 3 to two bars, you know you need to conserve battery or you will run out of power before day's end. You can then switch the camera of while moving from one location to another, turn off the LCD, avoid going through the menu and making lots of setting changes, use less zoom, etc, etc, etc. Of course your shooting capabilities will be somewhat limited but it's still better than nothing, which is what you get if you run out of battery. With the Canon, by the time you get the warning message, you arepretty much out ofluck (and out of battery). In any case, it's a pure matter of personal preference.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:23 PM   #33

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I can not believe that every H5 out there has a battery reading problem. If that's the case, you better believe Sony will soon release a firmware upgrade to fix it. I personally like to see the battery icon (both the Sony and the Panasonic display that) as opposed to the Canon approach - no icon, just a warning messageright before the battery is totally dead. With the icon, you can monitor and control battery utilization. Say youwent out and did not bring spare batteries with you. As soon as you see that icon going from 3 to two bars, you know you need to conserve battery or you will run out of power before day's end. You can then switch the camera of while moving from one location to another, turn off the LCD, avoid going through the menu and making lots of setting changes, use less zoom, etc, etc, etc. Of course your shooting capabilities will be somewhat limited but it's still better than nothing, which is what you get if you run out of battery. With the Canon, by the time you get the warning message, you arepretty much out ofluck (and out of battery). In any case, it's a pure matter of personal preference.
Good point! Having a guage would help most users gauge their useage. Especially if they are starting to run low. But, then these users would end up being dependant on the display and not on common sense. If the camera is rated for 550 shots per charge (Canon S3 IS) and only 200 pictures have been shot then it's safe to assume that...and when 400 pictures have been shot...maybe it would be a good idea to bring some backup batteries. Never mind the fact that it's good practice to carry an extra set of batteries any how. And it's a good thing cameras like the Canon S3 IS and the Sony H series use AA batteries. Easy to find in all but the most remote places.

But, as you said, in the end it does comes down to personal preference. Or what you're used to.

Regarding the H5 and the readout. I haven't really heard any other owners complain about it actually. It's just that this one guy mentioned that he had come across some posts noting that problem. Was he being truthful? I'd assume so. And I did experience it myself. But again, I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that I began using the H5 with Panasonic Oxyrides and they did a number on the circultry. Or, I simply got a damaged camera. I don't know. Maybe it was a fluke.

Only one way to fine out...

Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:14 PM   #34

If there is one thing you can not (and should not) go by to gouge battery consumption of any digicam, is the number of pictures you can take with a set of batteries. I relate battery consumption claims to gasoline consumption claims car makers release. Just because a car manufacturer states that a certain model does 28 mpg, that does not meant you are going to get that AT ALL. They measure gasoline consumption undervery controlled conditions, which most of the time do not represent real life driving conditions. The same concept applies to camera battery consumption. First, you have the battery type, capacityand brand variables. I'm sure therearedifferences betweenDuracell, Kirkland (Costco brand), Energizer, etc. in terms of battery charge/life. The differences are even more significant when you talk rechargeable. There are dozens of brands, various mAH and different chargers. Each ofthese variables plays a different role in terms ofbattery charge/life.Then, if that wasn't enough, you have user habits. If you use the LCD 100% of the time, use fill flash a lot or take lots of pictures with flash, access the menu regularly to adjust various settings, leave the camera on, use long review time checking histogram data, etc., you better believe the 550 pictures that Canon claims the S3 can take with 4 AA batteries will in reality translate to a little over 300 (if you are lucky). Actually, these factors apply not only to the S3 but to any camera using any type of battery (AA or proprietary). As you can see, the number of shots one can take with a fully charged set of batteries can vary drastically depending on all these factors. Yes, it is always a good idea to take spare batteries with you all the time. I do that. However, as with everything in life, there's always the first time when you find yourself out in the woods with dead batteries.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:18 PM   #35

Hello Mr. Dark and Mr. Tullio.
I kept silence for a while and followed all developments
I have H1 camera and this camera takes only NiMh batteries.
It is good to know H5 has improved specifications and takes other kind of batteries. But I would exercise caution
Mr. Dark, I want you to know my camera behaves the same way in terms of battery readout. The reason is of NiMh batteries. Their stamina is not as good as let's say lithium batteries. They have very specific discharge curve and when they are freshly charged they do not keep this initial voltage (1.5v) for a long and sag down a little (1.2v). Than they run pretty good until they reach about ¼ of initial capacity. At this point they cannot power camera. Batteries have some ‘juice' but it cannot drive camera. So you cannot discharge batteries to the very bottom. I think all sorts of batteries have the same low level limit, and NiMh are the worst performers
If H5 specs allow use AA lithiums, give them try and you will see the difference.
Any way, your camera is healthy and you should not have reasons for concern.

BR
Simon G

P.S.
This is a linh to another forum about the same H5/battery problems

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18844408
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:21 PM   #36

To Tullio & S_Grin,

Well, assuming Mr. S_Grin is on the money, then I'd now put my money on Canon's system. Where the camera just flashes a red icon when the battery is running low. And to try to be prepared with charged backup batteries.

I mean if the readout fluctuates (as with my H5...turn on...reads full...2 seconds later reads half-full...etc.) or will never give me an accurate read out what's the point?

And apparently a Canon S3 IS owner (past H5 owner) concurs. He also had the battery readout flucuation problem (but no sudden shutdowns). "danielg" was his alias.

Or dobatterygauge readers just have torely onpast experience?For example, when the meter gets to a certain point...that is when we're to assume the camera is to shutdown(that's assuming the readout doesn't fluctuate)? And it's time for another charge? "hmmm, it reads 1/4 full...will now shutdown like the last time...".

Tullio, what happens with your H1? I think you mentioned the readout is "accurate" on one of these threads. What does that mean exactly? Does that mean when you use NiMH batteries (your Powerex) that the icon will display a fully-empty icon as the camera shuts down? Or do you see a 1/4 full icon? Does your read out fluctuate too?

So far 3 H5 users=readout flucation when using NiMH...heh...

In any event thanks for posting guys!

I think there should be a IRC (internet relay chat) room for us to meet and talk shop. That way we could talk almost instantanously. How about on the Efnet servers? You could go join the #dvd...then the 3 of us could set up a private window to talk. They talk about home theater most of the time. I've been a member there since 97. Or we could setup our own room...call it #digicam

Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:13 PM   #37

Mr Dark. In previous post I gave a link to another forum.
Please run through it. May be you will find answers. My H1 when battery is low gives me indication on screen and stops to work. No lens shutdown so far. But I'll check it soon
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:33 PM   #38

s_grins wrote:
Quote:
Mr Dark. In previous post I gave a link to another forum.
Please run through it. May be you will find answers. My H1 when battery is low gives me indication on screen and stops to work. No lens shutdown so far. But I'll check it soon

Thanks for posting the link. Just read all the entries. Well, looks like if I do go with the H5 again I will have to live wtih the useless battery level indicator. It's now more than obvious I'm not the only H5 owner with the funky readout. And as the other H5 owners have said I too find that a VERY annoying fact.

Though, I could use Lithum batteries and get good battery life. JOY.

Just checked the http://www.sonystyle.ca website. Found out the T30 uses a Lithium battery. And am reading a test report on it (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T30/T30A.HTM). Mentions, on the "Overview" page at the bottom, briefly how with the "InfoLITHIUM battery system" it can tell us "the camera can tell you exactly how much run time the battery is good for, in whatever mode you're currently operating it in.".How cool is that! Why didn't they use the same battery in the H5?

Now, I'm thinking I might try the T30 next instead of the H5. Having 12x optical zoom is nice but do I truly need it? NO. And why should I have to live with a camera with a hokey battery readout? Why not get a camera knowing it WILL actually give me an exact readout and great battery life? Deos come in handy right Tullio? Plus, I've read that T30/T9 owners haven't experienced my shutdown problem (not that any H5 owners have mentioned experiencing sudden total shutdowns either). So, for me, that's reassuring.

My 2 cents for the night...have a good weekend guys!

Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:46 PM   #39

My H1 has an accurate battery read out. I've been using the POWEREX 2500 mAH since day 1 and have never experienced the shutdown you guys are talking about. If I recall Dark, you mentioned that your H5 was shutting down after only a few shots. There's obviously a problem there. Either you are using the wrong battery type or the camera is indeed defective. I see the battery indicator going from three to two to one bar and then an empty battery icon with a cross bar appears indicating that the battery charge is about to end (Page 93 of the H1 manual under "Warning Indicators and Messages"). Once I get the cross bar, I still have about 5 minutes before the camera shuts down. The number of pictures I take with one set of batteries is also along the ballparkindicated by Sony. On page 84 of the H1 manual, Sony suggests that one of the reasons the battery is running out of charge too soon is the memory effect. Sony suggests that the battery be completely drained and then re-charged. Since the POWEREX do not have memory, one can chargethem up at any time, no need to drain them first.

Dark, since you're so inclined to buy the S3, I want to wish you good luck. Keeps us posted!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:56 PM   #40

Dark, only you can answer the question "do I truly need a 12x zoom?". I can tell you this. The reason I've had so many cameras is because I was never satisfied with them but at the same time, I thought I did not need a bulky 12x zoom either. Boy, was I wrong!Once I got my first 12x, Ican not imagine going back to a 3x zoomcamera.The 12x gives you endless possibilities. You'll be amazed by how much you need the extra zoom range once you have it. Once again, if I were you, Id try the H1. It's much cheaper than the H5, it's a solid camera, it takes awesome picturesand it's a good compromise. You don't like it?Take it back or sell it. At least youwill not bespending almost $500 on a camera you may not be happy with. Enough said.