Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 16, 2006, 7:30 PM   #41

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Dark, only you can answer the question "do I truly need a 12x zoom?". I can tell you this. The reason I've had so many cameras is because I was never satisfied with them but at the same time, I thought I did not need a bulky 12x zoom either. Boy, was I wrong!Once I got my first 12x, Ican not imagine going back to a 3x zoomcamera.The 12x gives you endless possibilities. You'll be amazed by how much you need the extra zoom range once you have it. Once again, if I were you, Id try the H1. It's much cheaper than the H5, it's a solid camera, it takes awesome picturesand it's a good compromise. You don't like it?Take it back or sell it. At least youwill not bespending almost $500 on a camera you may not be happy with. Enough said.
Guess, I'll have to think it over again a bit more. Since you said the battery readout is accurate on your H1. I could, as you said, try the H1 first. See how that goes. As I said, I did originally want a camera with 12x optical zoom. Got my H5. But, had problems. So, I got more than a bit discouraged. Even if the camera shutdown only happened to my H5. I now know that if I did go back to the H5 I would have to live with it's flukey battery power level display. Would bother me but I suppose I could probably live with it.

But at the moment trying out the H1 sounds more attractive. I know it will do every thing I wanted in the first place. With no annoying funky battery poiwer readouts. Yet, I am honestly also interested in the T30. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for your input. Always appreciated!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:52 PM   #42

This has been an interesting thread to follow ...

Here's one man's opinion ... while my H1 has NEVER just plain shutdown (mid-battery) as Dark has reported his H5 has done I view battery condition icons the same as the fuel gauge in my cars and trucks. It is an approximate reflection of the level of fuel left in the tank. I don't drive till I run out of gas. When the fuel gauge gets close to "walk" I've waited too long to get more fuel and then I walk to the gas station or get on the cell phone for help just as when Dark wats too long his H5 shuts down.

Among the many great aspects of the "H" series Sony cameras is the fact that it uses only two AA batteries. They're small and it's EZ to carry spares. When my battery icon gets down to one segment I throw fresh AAs in there and keep shooting. If I don't pay attention and continue shooting the H1 will definately let me know when the batteries no longer supply it with the voltage it requires ... it blinks the icon profusely and then it shuts off. Then I put in a couple fresh batteries, turn it on, and continue shooting.

There are a couple things Dark should do before he starts playing "musical digicams". Make sure the NiMH batteries are properly charged and in as matched a pair as possible. Keep track of the number of shots taken and how much zooming or flash shots you've taken. It may be that your (new) batteries are not up to capacity yet or that you're having so much fun shooting pics that you lose track of how long the batteries last.

I don't think there are many digicams with DEAD accurate battery condition indicators. The best I've ever seem are the info-lithiums Sony used in some digicams. They are very accurate but at a high price and it is a proprietary battery.

Sony builds a pretty good product and their QC is very good. Dark may have had a BAD(?) H5 so give the H series another chance and I think you'll be satisifed as long as you have a few sets of charged AA NiMH batteries in your pocket and don't expect the camera to do everything for you.
subeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:18 AM   #43

subeluvr wrote:
Quote:
This has been an interesting thread to follow ...

Here's one man's opinion ... while my H1 has NEVER just plain shutdown (mid-battery) as Dark has reported his H5 has done I view battery condition icons the same as the fuel gauge in my cars and trucks. It is an approximate reflection of the level of fuel left in the tank. I don't drive till I run out of gas. When the fuel gauge gets close to "walk" I've waited too long to get more fuel and then I walk to the gas station or get on the cell phone for help just as when Dark wats too long his H5 shuts down.

Among the many great aspects of the "H" series Sony cameras is the fact that it uses only two AA batteries. They're small and it's EZ to carry spares. When my battery icon gets down to one segment I throw fresh AAs in there and keep shooting. If I don't pay attention and continue shooting the H1 will definately let me know when the batteries no longer supply it with the voltage it requires ... it blinks the icon profusely and then it shuts off. Then I put in a couple fresh batteries, turn it on, and continue shooting.

There are a couple things Dark should do before he starts playing "musical digicams". Make sure the NiMH batteries are properly charged and in as matched a pair as possible. Keep track of the number of shots taken and how much zooming or flash shots you've taken. It may be that your (new) batteries are not up to capacity yet or that you're having so much fun shooting pics that you lose track of how long the batteries last.

I don't think there are many digicams with DEAD accurate battery condition indicators. The best I've ever seem are the info-lithiums Sony used in some digicams. They are very accurate but at a high price and it is a proprietary battery.

Sony builds a pretty good product and their QC is very good. Dark may have had a BAD(?) H5 so give the H series another chance and I think you'll be satisifed as long as you have a few sets of charged AA NiMH batteries in your pocket and don't expect the camera to do everything for you.
Hey pal,

Well, thanks for the advice but my H5 has been returned. As of this past Tuesday night!

Once again, I did use the supplied Sony NiMH batteries that came with my H5. Charged them for roughly 9 hours. 3 hours over the recommended. Popped in the fully charged batteries. Shot 5 pics. The battery level readout began with a "full" reading. Then within a few seconds changed to give me a "half-full" reading. It then totally shutdown. Before this I had a pair of Panasonic Oxyrides in it.

When I had the Oxyrides in it I shot maybe 4-5 shots. Shutdown completely. Turned it back on. Shot another 25 odd shots before the Oxyrides died on me. Shut the camera down 3x that day before RIP. It was then I popped in the fully charged Sony's.

All in all, I was not a happy camper. I knew I had a defective H5. Returned the camera to my local Sony Store. Did consider an exchange for another H5 to try to get an H5 that wouldn't shutdown. But they were sold out. So I decided to wait another day. Glad I did. Now I know what to expect with H5's. And that it was only my H5 that would shutdown. Well so far.

And as I said in my last post...I might consider the H1. Seems to be more sound a digicam than even the 2nd generation H series cameras like the H2 and H5. Giving fairly consistent battery readings according to you and Tullio. Though, the T30 also looks very attractive to me. It uses the highly respected Sony "infoLITHIUM battery". Which as you said is indeed expensivve at $79.99 CAD to buy a backup. Luckily Sony includes one and the needed charger. Unlike the crooks at Canon who only include 4 alkalines with their S3 IS and no charger if I'm not mistaken.

That and the T30 has 58MB of internal memory. Comes in handy. Same sensitivity range as the H5 (upto ISO 1000...though I read ISO 800 and 1000 are a writeoff). Is very compact. Making it a great camera to carry around where ever you go. It just lacks a 12x optical zoom. The H1, on the other hand DOES have the 12x optical zoom but is not compact...with a maximum ISO of 400 I believe.

No Tullio I am now not getting the S3 IS. Well, not before I've tried my luck with either the H1 or T30. How about posting some H1 pics guys? I think we'd all like to see some samples of your photographic skills.

Take care. When I've bought either camera I'll definitely post again. Enjoy your weekends!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:40 AM   #44

Dark,

FYI, I've had MANY NiMH batteries, of different AH ratings, that needed to be charged and discharged many times before they approached full capacity.

For the first time in this thread you posted detailed and specific symptoms. Granted, 5 shots is really short battery life. Since you're the only poster noting this problem with your H5 it sounds like your H5 was defective. It would be interesting to know if the store where you bought your H5 had other H5 returns (maybe from the same shipment).

Just tryin' to help ...
subeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:39 AM   #45

Dark, if you search the Sony forum by username, you'll find topics I've posted with pictures from my H1. What kind of images are you interested in, Landscape? Wild life? Close ups? I have them all!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:32 AM   #46

subeluvr wrote:
Quote:
Dark,

FYI, I've had MANY NiMH batteries, of different AH ratings, that needed to be charged and discharged many times before they approached full capacity.

For the first time in this thread you posted detailed and specific symptoms. Granted, 5 shots is really short battery life. Since you're the only poster noting this problem with your H5 it sounds like your H5 was defective. It would be interesting to know if the store where you bought your H5 had other H5 returns (maybe from the same shipment).

Just tryin' to help ...
Great subeluvr. I did read that NiMH batteries do need to be charged/discharged several times before they can hold full capacity. Yesterday as a matter a fact. Some one posted a link to another forum in which they talked about the H5 and battery use/problems. Was enlightening.

Posting specific symptoms? I've done it so many times, probably in other threads, I've lost track. And yes, (again) being that I was the only one with shutdown problems, my H5 must definitely have been defective. I ordered it online btw from www.sonystyle.ca. Perhaps something got "shaken loose" while in transit?

Did ask the reps at the Sony Store where I returned my H5 whether they've had any returns. As of last Tuesday no. They said they sold around 5. And were sold out.

And thanks for the help.

Tullio,

Nothing in particular. Was just curious to see some sample photo's taken using your H1 by yourself. From some one who wasnt a reviewer. I'll do a search later.

Later guys.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:59 PM   #47

DarkDTSHD,

I have also encountered strange battery issues with a DSC-H1 and my DSC-H2. I had intially ordered a DSC-H1 from B&H and I put some Energizer 2500mah 1.2v NIMH batteries in it and it would shut off within a few seconds. Sadly I kept trying to power it back on thinking that the camera was a lemon and I ended up totally killing it. I sent it back to B&H and had to get a DSC-H2 becuase the H1 had been discontinued and they were out of stock. I tried once (I was careful) to power the H2 with the same Energizer and the same thing happened. The H2 works fine with the Sony batteries but I also bought some Duracell 2500mah 1.2v NIMH to try though and they are also working good it seems. The battery meter does seem to hit the middle/low mark somewhat quickly but it does not shut down. I am a little disapointed that you have to use certain batteries maybe even Sony's own with these camera's. Maybe they need to release a firmware patch for that as well. I noticed that PowerEX now has some 2700mah's available

TTYL

Zero
Almost Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:33 PM   #48

Quote:
I am a little disapointed that you have to use certain batteries maybe even Sony's own with these camera's
Um, not for the H1 you don't.

I have used 8 or 9 different brands with the H1 fromhousehold brand names to el cheapoones off of ebayand never had any difficulties.

I typically use new batteries for a couple of days in a cd player , 10+ hours of playing discharges them and then I recharge at night.

After a week of this they are fully conditioned and can go into the pile of batteries for my cameras.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:11 PM   #49

Sintares,

I am glad that you have had success with your batteries but I can tell you for sure that the Energizer 2500mah 1.2v's I used in mine did not work. Have you tried that brand and mah before? It seems that you can use other brands but not all are going to work. Use them with caution. If you have any abnormal behavior stop using them and switch.

Zero
Almost Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:03 PM   #50

Hello, gentlemen
I want to support Sintares and his statement about batteries
I have H1 too and have no issues with battery brand.
Once it NiMh 1.2 it works. It works longer time if when is 2500 and it works shorter time when it is 1750, but it works.
May be it is really particular camera's failure?
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote