Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:33 PM   #51

I too have the H1 and NO issues. I've not used the Energizer but I can not believe it won't work since the battery type is exactly the same as any other brand (perhaps your Energizer was not holding up the charge). I've been using the MAHA POWEREX 2500 mAH from day onew/o any problems. I haven't even opened the Sony blue/orange batteries that came with the camera.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:35 PM   #52

Almost Zero wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD,

I have also encountered strange battery issues with a DSC-H1 and my DSC-H2. I had intially ordered a DSC-H1 from B&H and I put some Energizer 2500mah 1.2v NIMH batteries in it and it would shut off within a few seconds. Sadly I kept trying to power it back on thinking that the camera was a lemon and I ended up totally killing it. I sent it back to B&H and had to get a DSC-H2 becuase the H1 had been discontinued and they were out of stock. I tried once (I was careful) to power the H2 with the same Energizer and the same thing happened. The H2 works fine with the Sony batteries but I also bought some Duracell 2500mah 1.2v NIMH to try though and they are also working good it seems. The battery meter does seem to hit the middle/low mark somewhat quickly but it does not shut down. I am a little disapointed that you have to use certain batteries maybe even Sony's own with these camera's. Maybe they need to release a firmware patch for that as well. I noticed that PowerEX now has some 2700mah's available

TTYL

Zero
Welcome to the "Sony H series shutdown/funky battery life display club"! Two members and counting Come one come all!!!

So now it's obvious that the previously infallible Sony digicam, the H1, isn't so bullet proof after all.

Interesting development. What is it with the quality control people and H series cameras??

For me, I'm still considering the T30, T9 and possibly the H1. Will post again when I've made my choice.

Later guys.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:34 AM   #53

Dark, it sounds to me you need to try the Canon S3 to appreciate any Sony H series digicam. Good luck!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:27 AM   #54

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Dark, it sounds to me you need to try the Canon S3 to appreciate any Sony H series digicam. Good luck!

Heh, nicely said , I agree totally !

And if you think two people with defective H1s means the entire Sony line is garbage, just wait till you see the Canon line up :shock:soft focus, battery errors, lens errors etc etc ..

Meeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:38 AM   #55

I call it ‘hospital affect'
When you visit someone in hospital, you have a feeling all the humankind is weak and doomed.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:55 AM   #56

If you want to feel weak and doomed, all you need to do is buy the S2 and then visit the Canon forum!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:18 AM   #57

Meeky wrote:

Quote:
Tullio wrote:
Quote:

Heh, nicely said , I agree totally !

And if you think two people with defective H1s means the entire Sony line is garbage, just wait till you see the Canon line up :shock:soft focus, battery errors, lens errors etc etc ..

Hello Meeky,

Actually thats 1 H1 owner and 1 ex-H5 owner (me) in that club.

And where did I say that I thought "...the entire Sony line is garbage.."? Heh! I said that the H1 line is not infallible. That the H1 is still worth looking into and considering. Which I am incidentally. It just might not be my first choice.

As for the Canon's...I don't agree with the "soft focus" or "soft look" comments. Have seen many pictures taken by "professionals" and forum members. And to my eyes most if not all look tack sharp. As for battery errors and lens errors....shrug...I'll have to take their word for it.

And Tullio,

When did I even hint I didn't like the H series?? In recent posts I just said that if you're a H2 or H5 owner you'd either have to live with the useless battery life display or look elsewhere. If having an accurate display is important to you. Other than that I loved using the H5. Was happy with the ergonomics, features and results.

I could go back and buy another H5. And live with the joke of a battery life readout. Not knowing when I'd loose power. Carrying extra batteries with me all the time. I'd rather have a camera that does as advertised and go.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:34 AM   #58

Just for the record. I believe it was more my fault for killing the first DSC-H1 that I recieved. It was the batteries for some reason that were not compatible with the camera. So it was more than likely working fine other than that issue. I am very happy with the DSC-H2 so far.

Zero
Almost Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:13 AM   #59

Almost Zero wrote:
Quote:
Just for the record. I believe it was more my fault for killing the first DSC-H1 that I recieved. It was the batteries for some reason that were not compatible with the camera. So it was more than likely working fine other than that issue. I am very happy with the DSC-H2 so far.

Zero
Hello AZ,

Yes I got that from your last post. That you thought it was you that damaged the H1 with the wrong batteries. As a matter a fact I'm thinking maybe it's because I first used Panasonic Oxyrides with my H5 that cause it's sudden shutdown problems as no other H5 owner has reported that problem. Yet.

How long have you had your H2? Using NiMH batteries and getting accurate battery life readouts?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:39 PM   #60

If I was on the market today for a replacement camera, I'dbuy the H1. Even though it had less MP than the H2/H5, it's a very solid camera. It accepts both memory stick types,pro and pro duo (if I'm not mistaken, the H2/H5 accepts only pro duo); it has a 2.5" LCD (the H2 hasa 2" LCD - although I use the EVF, so to me a small LCD is not that big of a deal. The H5 has a 3" LCD but it costs a lot more); it has excellent optics, awesome IS and AF systems; etc. I was under the impression that it was much cheaper as well. Well, not anymore. Its price is around $340 (at B&H), not even $50 less than the H2. That should tell us something. However, you can't go wrong with either model. As for this battery reading issue, I really don't think it is an issue at all. I think these are very isolated cases. I've checked my different forums and reviews and found absolutely nothing on the subject. So Dark, do yourself a favor, put the issue to rest (at least until you try another one), go outand buy the H1, H2 or H5 and happy shooting!