Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:19 PM   #61

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
If I was on the market today for a replacement camera, I'dbuy the H1. Even though it had less MP than the H2/H5, it's a very solid camera. It accepts both memory stick types,pro and pro duo (if I'm not mistaken, the H2/H5 accepts only pro duo); it has a 2.5" LCD (the H2 hasa 2" LCD - although I use the EVF, so to me a small LCD is not that big of a deal. The H5 has a 3" LCD but it costs a lot more); it has excellent optics, awesome IS and AF systems; etc. I was under the impression that it was much cheaper as well. Well, not anymore. Its price is around $340 (at B&H), not even $50 less than the H2. That should tell us something. However, you can't go wrong with either model. As for this battery reading issue, I really don't think it is an issue at all. I think these are very isolated cases. I've checked my different forums and reviews and found absolutely nothing on the subject. So Dark, do yourself a favor, put the issue to rest (at least until you try another one), go outand buy the H1, H2 or H5 and happy shooting!
I'd love to put this issue to rest. But some one keeps commenting on what I've posted so I keep replying. And often I feel the need to repeat myself for some people to clear any misunderstandings or to emphasize a point that seemed lost. I think most of us are tired of this topic. I am. I thought I had made my point clear long ago. To sum up for the last time: I realize it was only my H5 with the sudden shutdown problems, that when using NiMH batteries you will expect irratic readouts, and that I will be looking at the Sony T9/T30/H1 next.

We (everyone) just seem to be going around in circles.

Did you check http://www.dpreview.com forum for the H5 and battery issues? I forget on which forum thread but some one posted a link for me. And based on the number of posts I don't think they were "isolated incidents". An "Isolated incident" would include my sudden shutdown problem (2 people, 1-H1/1-H5).

And, I think you think it's a non-issue because your H1 doesn't have that problem. You've been getting accurate reading since day one. And I do recall you streesing to me how important it IS to HAVE an accurate battery life readout once.

As you said this is a personal thing right?

So on that note let's all end this thread. If you guys would like to debate on. Have fun! Cya guys! Thanks for your help!!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:20 PM   #62
h3r

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I too have the H1 and NO issues. I've not used the Energizer but I can not believe it won't work since the battery type is exactly the same as any other brand (perhaps your Energizer was not holding up the charge). I've been using the MAHA POWEREX 2500 mAH from day onew/o any problems. I haven't even opened the Sony blue/orange batteries that came with the camera.

Guy's

Looking at all the postings, I have 2 comments.
  1. It seems as if the specific camera might hve a poblem[/*]
  2. My experience shows that some brands and/or types of batteries just don't supply enough current. It is not a case of the battery not having enough charge - the battery is just not capable of delivering the current needed by the camera. On a few occasions I experienced the exact same symptoms (even with my Minolta Z1 - yea I know it is time to change!) - and upon using the"depleted" batteries in another pice of equipment - say a cd player - it delivered its full charge for the expected time!
[/*]
I don't want to bore you with all the technical detail, but I can back up my claim here if needed.

I hope this helps to clarify the subject!
h3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:49 PM   #63

The camera is an easy target and seems to be getting the blame for Dark's reported problem (at least from Dark) but NOWHERE in this thread on THIS forum does Dark mention that he checked the individual Energizer 2500 mAH batteries to see if one of those was defective.

If BOTH AA battereies are not up to spec any camera that uses only two batteries is more than likely to manifest it's unhappiness in some way.

As I've previously stated in my posts on THIS forum ... I've used various brands of NiMH batteries (Energizer, Panasonic, Sony, Targus, and more) with ratings of 1600, 2000, 2100, and 2500 (Energizer) with no problems whatsoever in my H1.

I do routinely look at depleted and charged voltages of my batteries and keep them in complimentary pairs and throw out ones that are repeatedly low.

I have no doubt that Dark experienced problems with his Sony " H" camera and the possibility exists that his camera was very unhappy with the UNAPPROVED Panasonic Oxyride batteries and that those batteries damaged something in the logic of the camera. If that is the case then is the camera to blame?

Anyone out there want to try unapproved (technology) batteries in their expensive digicam or do you stick with recommended battery technologies and enjoy your camera? The book says NiMH or Alkaline ... NOT Oxyride.

Anyone out there want to buy a mint condition H1 that works and plays well with Energizer 2500 mAH batteries?
subeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:15 AM   #64

Exactly, subeluvr. It's like plugging a TV set made for 110v, into a 220v outlet .
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:11 AM   #65

Just my 2 cents on this whole battery thing, from my experience Energizer AA Ni-MH batteries suck and I've seen them just go dead without warning. I have a ton of 2100 Sony AA Ni-MH batteries that I use with all my AA cameras and they have worked great for years.

Even though Ni-MH batteries are not supposed to have a "memory", they do to a certain extent and for the longest life from the batteries I recommend using them until they are dead before each charge. Li-Ion batteries have no memory and can be charged anytime, in fact it's best to charge them before they fully discharge.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:35 AM   #66

subeluvr wrote:
Quote:
The camera is an easy target and seems to be getting the blame for Dark's reported problem (at least from Dark) but NOWHERE in this thread on THIS forum does Dark mention that he checked the individual Energizer 2500 mAH batteries to see if one of those was defective.

If BOTH AA battereies are not up to spec any camera that uses only two batteries is more than likely to manifest it's unhappiness in some way.

As I've previously stated in my posts on THIS forum ... I've used various brands of NiMH batteries (Energizer, Panasonic, Sony, Targus, and more) with ratings of 1600, 2000, 2100, and 2500 (Energizer) with no problems whatsoever in my H1.

I do routinely look at depleted and charged voltages of my batteries and keep them in complimentary pairs and throw out ones that are repeatedly low.

I have no doubt that Dark experienced problems with his Sony " H" camera and the possibility exists that his camera was very unhappy with the UNAPPROVED Panasonic Oxyride batteries and that those batteries damaged something in the logic of the camera. If that is the case then is the camera to blame?

Anyone out there want to try unapproved (technology) batteries in their expensive digicam or do you stick with recommended battery technologies and enjoy your camera? The book says NiMH or Alkaline ... NOT Oxyride.

Anyone out there want to buy a mint condition H1 that works and plays well with Energizer 2500 mAH batteries?
The User's guide lists the supported batteries which, in addition to NiMH and Alkaline,alsoincludesOxy Nickel and lithium batteries. The guide (p. 111) also notes that for Alkaline/OxyNickel "Due to characteristics ....... the camera may turn off with the lens portion extended when you switch the mode dial. In this case, replace the batteries with new ones or fully charged Nickel Metal Hydride batteries."

Read my earlier post as to supported batteries listedfor the H2/H5 per the Users Guide & "Read This First" pamphlet.

Ido agree that the batteries should be periodically checked and tossed if unable to hold a charge. I have used Sony, Panasonic and Duracell NiMH.I hadwhat I believe was a bad batch ofDuracell's that have gone bad within a fewmonths.

Have been enjoying the H5 (my third Sony) -A great camera.

paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:35 AM   #67

Paniolo,

Right on point.

I'll have to dig out my H1 manual and re-read it. I missed the part about Oxy batteries or perhaps that was added for the H2 and H5.

My point was that in Dark's zeal to blame the camera he never said he'd checked the batteries. Battery problems are an easy thing to overlook and can often be the cause of many problems and each digicam deals with "iify" batteries in it's own way.
subeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:07 PM   #68

Hi,

I'm in urgent need of your information as I would like to buy an H5: with the sony batteries supplied by default and fully charged, how much time would they allow me to record in movie mode at highest mpeg quality setting ? And does the camera fully support 4gb memory sticks ?

Then what are the plus of the H5 compared to H1? Does the H1 have a stabilizer too?
jpnn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:30 PM   #69

subeluvr:

Yes, once in a while you get a bad battery or maybe a lemon camera.You are exactly right - I don't think that a bad battery was even considered.Easier toblame the camera, or poor QC.

Similar to another thead where an individual stated how badhis camera was because of the extremely low amount of shots per charge. When asked, turned out he was using batteries a few years old (something like 1700 mh). But then, must be the camera because it was NEW.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:47 PM   #70

JP, I have an H1 but never used 4 Gb memory sticks, so I'm not sure it supports it. I think it does but can not guarantee it. The reason I'm saying this is because the H1 manual goes up to 1 Gb maximum. However, I use 2 Gb w/o any problems. As for the movie mode, I think you will run out of memory way before you run out of battery since it does not take much to fill up memory in movie mode. The best practice is to always have spare batteries with you so that should not be a problem. luckily the H1/H2/H5 take only two AA so you don't have to have an extra bag just to carry the spare batteries.

Yes, the H1 has image stabilizer and it's awesome. The best system on the market for sure (the H2/H5 use the same system). I had a Canon S2 and now I also have the Panasonic FZ20. Their IS suck compared to the H series.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote