Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 23, 2006, 5:03 PM   #71

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
JP, I have an H1 but never used 4 Gb memory sticks, so I'm not sure it supports it. I think it does but can not guarantee it. The reason I'm saying this is because the H1 manual goes up to 1 Gb maximum. However, I use 2 Gb w/o any problems. As for the movie mode, I think you will run out of memory way before you run out of battery since it does not take much to fill up memory in movie mode. The best practice is to always have spare batteries with you so that should not be a problem. luckily the H1/H2/H5 take only two AA so you don't have to have an extra bag just to carry the spare batteries.

Yes, the H1 has image stabilizer and it's awesome. The best system on the market for sure (the H2/H5 use the same system). I had a Canon S2 and now I also have the Panasonic FZ20. Their IS oops compared to the H series.
Hey Tullio et al.,

I'm baaaaaaccck!!! Just picked up a Sony H1 from the friendly neighborhood Sony Store. Worked out a good deal. Got them to knock off almost $80.00 off their "sale" price. Was also at the BestBuy store (in same mall) eyeing a Canon S3 IS. That was discounted by $30.00 ($5.00 instant-rebate and a $25.00 mail-in rebate). This H1 better be flawless!! (like yours and subeluvr's).

Haven't charged up the supplied 2100 mAh Sony's yet. Will do that tonight when I'm about to hit the sack.

Some one mentioned something about how I didn't say if I checked the Energizers first? Never used them. I only used the Panasonic Oxyrides (1st) which I believe are technically "oxide nickels". Which are supposedly okay to use. Though not without quirky performance results. Followed by the supplied 2500 mAh Sony's. That's it.

This time around. Assuming I don't run into any troubles. I think I'll pickup some 2500 mAh Energizer and order some 2700 mAh Powerex batteries.

Might pickup a Sony 1GB MS Duo Pro card (has a MS adapter) tomorrow. Any comments on Sony memory cards? Should be fine right? Any other recommendations? I'm assuming SanDisk is fine too right?

Later guys.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:03 PM   #72

Dark,

Do not temp the fates ... the Sony gods have seen your posts and noted your disrespect.

Be humble and believe ... for the "H" series is good. Read the "good" book and the quick guide, follow the Sony gospel, and all will be well.

Chill out, have a beer eh, and enjoy your new camera.
subeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:13 PM   #73

subeluvr wrote:

Quote:
Dark,

Do not temp the fates ... the Sony gods have seen your posts and noted your disrespect.

Be humble and believe ... for the "H" series is good. Read the "good" book and the quick guide, follow the Sony gospel, and all will be well.

Chill out, have a beer eh, and enjoy your new camera.
Quite the comedien you are. Will definitely keep you guys posted. Let's hope the Sony Gods are merciful and will grant me a second chance. If not I'm changing "religions".
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:37 AM   #74

Good choice, Dark. I'd strongly suggest that you buya set of four 2700 mAH POWEREX batteries as well as the MAHA charger along with it (even though Sony includes a charger with the H1). I have the 2500 mAH POWEREX and I think they are probably the best rechargeable batteries out there (except for the new 2700, of course). Check out the link below for they are probablythe only place where you can find them (and,they are very good too). For the memory card, unless you already have some, I'd recommend the Sandisk ULTRA II 1 Gb memory stick pro DUO (2 Gb would be better). They are much faster than the Sony cards. Although the H1 excepts both, pro and pro duo, the new models (H2/H5) don't. They only accept the pro DUOs. So,for future compatibility, I'd go with the DUO.

Enjoy your new camera!!!

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/a...-batteries.php
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:33 AM   #75

I read on the user opinions at dpreview that the H5 had some problems *sighs* I guess they don't make cameras like they used to aye hehehe although the H2 appears to be doing well =)

I hope the H1 works out well for you Dark *fingers crossed* it has an excellent track record.

Most importantly, have fun with your new camera!!
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:21 PM   #76

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Good choice, Dark. I'd strongly suggest that you buya set of four 2700 mAH POWEREX batteries as well as the MAHA charger along with it (even though Sony includes a charger with the H1). I have the 2500 mAH POWEREX and I think they are probably the best rechargeable batteries out there (except for the new 2700, of course). Check out the link below for they are probablythe only place where you can find them (and,they are very good too). For the memory card, unless you already have some, I'd recommend the Sandisk ULTRA II 1 Gb memory stick pro DUO (2 Gb would be better). They are much faster than the Sony cards. Although the H1 excepts both, pro and pro duo, the new models (H2/H5) don't. They only accept the pro DUOs. So,for future compatibility, I'd go with the DUO.

Enjoy your new camera!!!

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/a...-batteries.php
Hey Tullio,

Welp today I popped in the supplied Sony batteries. Turned it on 3 times so far. First time to check some settings. And then twice to take some pics. Only 15 mind you. But, so far the battery life reads "full" and no sudden shutdowns. YahOO!! Why couldn't my H5 do this.

Any how, I did notice one odd quirk. The "vibration warning" icon flashes on a lot. But never when a shot requires the flash. On the H5 I recall that when I'm not pointing the camera at the subject so that the lens is parallel to the ground I'd sometimes see the "vibration warning" icon flash. Is the H1 just overly sensitive?

I've downloaded the few pics I've taken and had a look at them. Looked fine to me. No hint of blur.

Ideas? Comments?

Any how, will try to shoot more today and tomorrow. Or as much as I can till Monday. If everything is as good as it has been today then I'll get a memory card. The "vibration alert" isn't a big thing. I could live with it as long as I continue to get clear shots. Is there a way to turn it off?
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:41 PM   #77

The vibration warning is simply telling you that the camera's current settings COULD lead to poor image/shot...not WILL.
rubyratsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 8:01 PM   #78

Ditto. For most shots, simply ignore the warning. The IS on the H1 works wonderfully. I've taken pictures inside caverns with almost no light, hand held and the pictures are very sharp. I think any camera does that. If the settings are such that picture blur is a possibility (the warning does not take into account whether the IS is on or off, the camera is on tripod, or anything else), you'll see the shaky hand/camera. Of course if you have flash on, then the camera knows there will be enough light coming from the flash, which BTW, is awesome on the H1. It's very powerful, to the point where you might want to set the exposure to -2 in some cases to avoid over exposure. You need to really play with it. Last but not least, unless you have a memory stick card, the number of images you can record in full resolutionusing the internal memory is about 12.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:26 PM   #79

rubyratsky wrote:
Quote:
The vibration warning is simply telling you that the camera's current settings COULD lead to poor image/shot...not WILL.
Thanks man (Tullio too of course)! As I said. I did check the shots I took afterwards and they looked tack sharp. No blur at all. Crystal clear shots. Guess Iwon't put too muchweight onit after all. Just wanted to hear from fellow H1 owners on this. I assumed that the alert wouldn't go off till it was more likely than not that I would get unclear shots. Not when there was only a "possibility". Now I know better.

So far everything's good!

Later guys.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:56 PM   #80

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the H1 has image stabilizer and it's awesome. The best system on the market for sure (the H2/H5 use the same system). I had a Canon S2 and now I also have the Panasonic FZ20. Their IS oops compared to the H series.

Thanks for your answer Tullio. But I don't understand what you meant by "Their IS oops compared to the H series" ?

Today I just received my H5, and now I'm only charging the Sony batteries for the 1st time.Now I wonderif I fully deplete and recharge the batteries about 3 times, would it improve their energy reserve to a maximum level ?
jpnn80 is offline   Reply With Quote