Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:17 AM   #1

:?I'm at home today playing with my new H5......a daunting task. After using my DSC30 for 6 years I decided to upgrade & went with the H5. Great camera but a little intimidating for a "point & shooter". I had the same problem with my first one & the printed manuals leave a lot to be desired. I read somewhere that these cameras come with a CD that also includes the tutorial. I can't find one anywhere on my CD. Maybe I was mistaken. If I was & there is no tutorial on the Cd then can someone recommend either a printed or digital tutorial to get the most out of this great little camera. TIA!my new H5
corkyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 3:40 PM   #2

Have you read the H1 whitepaper ?

Most of it applies to the H5 ..

http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:39 PM   #3

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Have you read the H1 whitepaper ?

Most of it applies to the H5 ..

http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/
Thanks for the tip Sintares.....you just cost me $10:-). I sent him a donation for the laminated white sheet. He sounds like he has some super experience with digicams. The problem is I don't use mine enough to become really familiar with all the many features of a high end camera......I have to keep returning to the instruction manual to remind myself of what feature does what. Alas the Sony manual is not the most intuitive. Thanks again!
corkyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:28 PM   #4

As with anything in life, the beginning is always difficult. I have the H1 and absolutely love it. Once you get to know the camera capabilities, getting the most out of itbecomes piece of cake! Here's my suggestion. Forget the AUTO mode. This camera has a lot to offer and settingit to AUTO is a waste of camera capability. Startusing the"P" mode. In this mode, the camera will take care of the two mostimportant settings: aperture and shutter speed. But, it will let you change some other also important settings such as ISO, WB, exposure, etc. By using P, you'll be able to play with these settings w/o worrying about aperture and shutter speed. Once you understand how your camera operates, then you can try the Av (aperture priority) mode, where you choose the aperture and the camera selects the speed and thenTv (shutter priority) mode.Once you feel comfortable and fully understand the relationship betweenaperture, shutter speed and ISO, you can then move onto M mode (full manual).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:01 AM   #5

Thanks, Sintares! I've been looking around for something just like that to help me learn how to use my H2. This is the first time I've had something better than a point and shoot camera, and I'm somewhat intimidated by all the settings.
RedZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote