Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:26 AM   #1

I am strongly considering the DSC-R1. I was also considering getting the HVL-F32X with it. But it seems that even though it tilts, it does not swivel.

I take almost all of my photos in portrait mode so a tilt does me no good if it does not swivel.

QUESTIONS:

1) Is it true that it does not swivel?

2) Is there an accessory shoe that will make it swivel?

3) Is there a better flash that does swivel?

also... I here that this flash is a battery hog. Does anyone know how many pictures one can get in a dimly lit room from one set of alkalines with this flash?

Thanks...
shootFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2

I have R1 and F32x so I can answer some of your questions.

1 F32x does not swivel.
2 I have not seen any accessory that alows F32x to swivel
3 There are better flashes (check out METZ) but you have to pay a price. In addition to a flash you will have to buy adapter for SONY hot shoe
4. Is F32x is a battery hog? It depends on light conditions, distance and so on

I take photos in similar situation. When I can not use bounce light with camera in portrait position, I use direct light with a light box attached to a flash.
Perhaps, another solution is a accessory bouncer attached to a flash.

Freshly charged 2500 batteries I use allow me to make about 30 shots, after it takes much more time to recuperate.
Totally I take not more than 50 shots before I change batteries.

Hope some of your questions are answered

Simon G

s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. This makes a big difference.

30 shots per set of batteries??? My Canon 420EX sometimes gets hundreds in the same conditions...

I typically take +600 pictures at a pop... A much more expensive flash would be cheaper than batteries, and a lot less annoying.

I typically use BOTH a light box and swivel...

Any specific flash recommendations would be appreciated...

Thanks---

Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:00 PM   #4

It seems to me we do not understand eash other.

1 I use rechargebles with flash so I do not pay extras. I have spare set of them ready in pocket and do not care about energy consumption
2 It takes more from flash (and bateries) when flash in bounce mode - much more.
3 Numbers I gave to you are approximate - if you agree to wait more for flash , you can make more shots with the same batteries, I guess 100-150.

And may be I have to admit I use ISO 200 for most of photos I take.
Sorry, I do not have any specific recommendations because I do not have any other flash. You can find more on flashes on DPReview website

Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:42 PM   #5

Hello,

My 2 cents:

I have found the 32x Sony flash to be the best TTL flash when used as per Sony's instructions: eg. no diffuser, etc.

I use my Canon 550EX flashes with my R-1 and Pocket Wizards. I created my own adapter to use the 550 EX's. Works perfectly, good re-cycle time.

The real issue of flash with the R-1, is that you , IMHO, must use a bracket to get the best flash performance. Sitting your flash on the right side of the camera, in thehot shoe. will causebad shadowing on your subjects.

You can get a bracket to swivel and tilt while holding your 32x or anything else.

Get yourself a bracket as a first step.

Hope this helps, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:13 AM   #6

No the flash does not swivel. You coud possibly use a flash bracket that will allow to use the flash in portrait mode.

In terms of batteries, yes it is quite greedy. I use NIMH rechargeables and get about 100 shots out of a freshly charged set.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:56 AM   #7

Hi, Nickphoto
Thank you for the advise.
If you can, could you please put a link to a bracket for F32x that makes it swivel?
It will help a lot
Thank you
Simon G.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

Most brackets will enable one to loosen and tighten the shoe holder to effect aswivel. When doing this you will lose flash/camera communication, that is you would use the flash manually.

If you really want to beat this with the 32x on the R-1's hot shoe, just turn the camera to vertical orientation and tilt ( which becomesa swivel ).

There are not too many conditions that i would need to do swivel inmy style of shooting and my subjects.

IMHO the important thing is getting the flash above the lens so shadows drop down and behind the subject.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:13 PM   #9

Wow - this bulletin board is great. Thanks everyone...

The flash bracket sounds like the best idea. But I would probably need another accessory that has a piece for the hot shoe, a piece for the flash and a cord between - right? I bought one for my Canon G5 (Canon brand) and it did not work at all. So I am a bit leary of them.

nickphoto123 - You use your Canon 550EX on your Sony DSC-R1? How does that work? Is it only for manual operation? Could I get my Canon 420EX or my Sigma EF-500 (for Canon) to work this way?

Rechargeable batteries is probably a subject for another topic. But I find that one of the set of 4 batteries goes bad, and you can't tell which one and the whole set is no good. I buy Alakalines by the hundred. After I use them up I give them others who finish them off in flashlights.

Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:54 PM   #10

There are several chargers out there with lcd screens that can show the chargeeach battery has.

I use the LaCrosse BC-900 , when I buy a new set of batteries I use the charger to drain and fully charge the batteries a couple of times and then check if one is charging lower than the others.

I can then remove the poor ones and team the best together.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote