Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:45 PM   #1

I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it anywhere. Currentyl I am usng an Olympus C8080 and getting OK shots. Shutter lag is a real problem. Recently I looked at a Nikon d70s-great focus speed and handling-I really don't want to use (2) year old technology but is seems really nice. I live in NH and it is impossible to actually put your hands on a R1. All the camera shops don't even recognize the model. Right now the price of the R1 has dropped-along with a rebate. I don't want to spend that amount of money and end up with a similar situation as the C8080. Of course I don't want the dust problem either. To get a Canon 30d and a comparable lens it's twice the money. A rock and a hard place. Any help would be appreciated.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:26 PM   #2

Shutter Lag/Cycle Times

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A8.HTM
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:15 AM   #3

The AF speed is the most defining part of any shutter lag. If the AF is fast, then shutter lag is short, but if the AF is slow or hunts a lot, then the shutter must wait until AF is achieved, and that results in a longer 'shutter lag'.

If you turn the AF off, there is virtually no shutter lag.

The AF speed on the R1 is much slower than ANY dSLR and about average for p&s.

In good light the AF speed of the R1 is average, but in low light it is quite slow. The R1, like all p&s, uses the CCD to focus, it does NOT have separate AF sensors like dSLR's.

I doubt that even at twice the price, the canon lens could match the R1 lens. It is superb and the R1 is capable of producing an image that surpasses most dSLR's and rivals the top of the line dSLR's for image quality.

The R1 lens is the real reason to buy this camera.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:07 PM   #4

amazon.com is where I got my R1 if you end up getting one. I got my bag and memory stick from there too.
mrssharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:07 PM   #5

Thanks for all the input-still reading as many reviews as I can find. Just wish I could find one close to actually try-even if it was at the counter. Thought I would like the Olympus E-500 until I held it in my hands-changed my mind in about 30 seconds.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:26 AM   #6

I'm considering the same cameras over my C-8080(R1 and D70s), I love the build of the C-8080, and the lens, but hate theauto-zoom and the shutter lag also. Have not been able to find a R1 locally either.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:02 AM   #7

If any shutter lag is a serious problem for you, then you should definately go with a dSLR. I don't have an 8080, so I cannot compare the R1 against it. But the R1 does have a shutter lag that can be a tad severe at times, especially in low light as the AF tries to find focus. I also notice a severe shutter lag when using flash, both builtin and external (not studio strobes).

For me, my R1 supplements my dSLR, it does not replace it. When I need the performance, I shoot with the dSLR, but for casual fun shooting, it's the R1.

It's the image quality that keeps me using the R1, it matches or beats most dSLRs, especially anything less than 10MP.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:38 PM   #8

DMJJR,

What subjects are you shooting that makes shutterlag such an important consideration? I use an R-1 and hve not had a problem yet.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:00 AM   #9

My partner and I shoot an occasional wedding (5) this year. Evening receptions are difficult enough without holding down the shutter release halfway to maintain focus, but if you don't, the shot is lost forever. The FL-40 flash which mates with the C8080 has focus assist-but that is also slow. The camera can't keep up with my two year old granddaughter either. Just don't want toend up with the same problems with a new camera. Used a Canon SD550 the other day at work and that beat the Olympus for focusing speed & shutter lag-that was surprising-but not image quality.

Looking for a camera with a minimum APS-C sensor with minimal shutter lag and great image quality-it appears that the R-1 has the same tendenciesas the C8080.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:13 AM   #10
Administrator

It's been said before in this thread but the reason that dSLRs are so much faster is because they have dedicated AF sensors and they also work better in lower light situations, especially with a fast lens. And better lenses have faster focusing motors. The fixed lens cameras, even the best, use the CCD to achieve focus and this is always slower (and often fails) than a dedicated sensor or groups of sensors.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote