Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:11 AM   #1

Hello

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this. My 2 year old W-1 has lots of spots on the pictures, especially pictures of the sky. It appears to be worse when I zoom. Below is an example.

I have cleaned the lens and it is not that. Does anyone have an idea what it might be and how I can fix it without buying a new camera. Also many of my images are spotty and I would like to fix them. Does anyone know of an EASY to use software program that will allow me to erase the spots? Currently I have an old edition of Dell Image Expert Premium Edition and use only the quick fix, crop, and red eye featurs. I am not skilled at this.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attached Images

kmftjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:05 PM   #2

It's dust/dirt IN the lens, see this post: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:20 PM   #3

nothing wrong with your pictures... those are actually UFO's, better report this to the government.
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:46 AM   #4

Thanks. I vaccuumed it and it dislodged a bit of the spots but not all. I think I am stuck buying a new camera. I do like the W1 but I am afraid of the same problem again with the W series.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:15 PM   #5

I have the same problem with my W-1 although not as bad (only one spot at the edge when zoomed in). Tried to vacuum but didn't work.I purchased a new camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Others have had similar problems (see old posts)- is this more common with Sony than other brands?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:30 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Others have had similar problems (see old posts)- is this more common with Sony than other brands?
I hate to tell you this. But, this is a common problem with the DSC-W1 (and some of the similar Sony models). I suspect (only a suspicion) that the assembly environment had some dust in it when they put many of these cameras together (although it could have been drawn into some cameras later).

It's a much rarer problem with other brands from what I've seen in the forums (with a few exceptions, as the Fuji S602Z tended to pull dust in from time to time). But, you don't see this very often with non-DSLR models, except for the subcompact Sonys with a similar lens design.

I can remember one user that had dust on the sensor with a brand new DSC-W1. They took it back to the vendor and got a replacement and the replacement also had dust on the sensor, although it wasn't as bad as yours. ;-) These were brand new cameras, not those that had been in a dusty environment. They copied photos from both cameras to a pbase.com album here at the time:

http://www.pbase.com/geh/cybershot_w1

It tends to show up at smaller apertures against a bright background (like shooting at a bright sky). So, it's probably a good idea to check any camera you buy that way to make sure it's OK while the store will still take it back. Otherwise, you might not notice it for a while.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:49 PM   #7

Thank you for the information. I was going to hunt down a W7 since I like the AA batteries and I already have memory stick pros - not duos - but now I think I will stay away from the Sonys as I don't want to be replacing my camera early again.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:05 PM   #8
Administrator

I've mainly noticed posts from DSC-W1 and DSC-P100 owners. So, the W7 may be fine. I would think Sony would have solved it by now (since it's got to cost them a lot when users have a dust problem under warranty with repair and/or replacement at Sony's expense). A manufacturer wants to avoid those kinds of problems. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:12 PM   #9

I have a W5 and a W7 which never had a dust problem, but I did have the problem with a P100.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:26 AM   #10

Me too, owned a W1 for over 2 years now and it hasn't caused me any problems at all.

The luck of the draw I suppose?

I know some W1s were made in China and they were subject to a QA recall? Mine was made in Japan. Don't know if this is relevant or not.
v8griff is offline   Reply With Quote